Santa Margherita Ligure excursions

marazul

We will be in cruising in the Sojourn this coming May. There are two main excursions offered from Santa Margherita. One is to Cinqueterre. We have been there and would not mind going back.

The other one is a boat trip around Portofino. Has anyone taken this one? What did you think? Especially if you have also been to Cinqueterre. We went to Portofino quite a while ago, but have not been to the smaller ports. And as I say, I would not mind Cinqueterre again although I would rather do something different. Here is the detailed description:

Camogli, San Fruttuoso & Portofino

Board a private boat and set out to explore the history and culture of this region of the Italian Coast. Your first stop will be in the little Bay of San Fruttuoso, famous for its 10th-century abbey—the ancient residence of the Doria family. The fascination of San Fruttuoso village lies in the architectural value of the abbey and church as well as in its splendid natural surroundings. The cliffs encircling the inlet, the small beach, the rich Mediterranean vegetation and the almost-unreal absence of vehicles create a truly unique and enjoyable atmosphere. Enjoy the view while staying on the boat for 10 minutes inside the bay. Continuing up the coast, you will arrive at Camogli, a small, typical fishing village, once the site of bustling shipyards that helped build one of the world's greatest merchant fleets. Camogli's original medieval setting was centered around the local parish church, located on an island that was completely detached from the mainland. Today, this island is connected to the mainland by a little square surrounded by colorful buildings and one of the most beautiful Baroque churches along the Italian coastline. Here, you will take a guided walking tour through the village and have some free time as well. A taste of focaccia bread and a glass of local white wine will be served on boat ride to Portofino. With your guide, you will take a short stroll through Portofino to the Church of San Giorgio and enjoy some free time to browse on your own before you return to Santa Margherita.

Thanks for your comments.

We will be on the same cruise. We've been to Cinque Terra (stayed 3 nights in Varnazza) and also Portofino (twice we stayed and once on a cruise).

You can walk to Portofino from Santa Marguarita if you wish, take the local bus, or the ferry. There is no need to do a tour. Once you get there everything is close. There are plenty of small restaurants on the water for coffee or a meal.

I think we will go to Portofino again. By local ferry, which is regular and easy to find. Santa M is also worth a walk around.

Can't comment on the other places indicated.

We are also leaning towards Portofino by ferry or the excursion. It has been a long time since we visited there. We stayed three days in Monterosso recently and the excursion CT seems very long. I am still hoping for some details on the boat trip around Portofino, but maybe it is a new excursion.

See you on board. Are you in the b-to-b or just the segment?

I would opt for the Camogli, San Fruttuoso and Portofino option, three very beautiful yet very different places to visit.

Thanks. I was just waiting for some recommendation on Camogli and San Fruttuoso before deciding. I think this is the one we'll take.

B-to-b. Good to get some feedback from someone who has visited the other ports, although I think it says that with Fruttuoso you only view it from the boat for 10 mins.

Right on the 10 minutes, secoma! Too bad they do not stop there. The abbey looks really interesting.

I went to the SB website to check on that and other excursions and found some really exciting excursions for Santa Margherita Ligure available only for the July 18 sailing. I could not find that sailing on the website so I guess it could be a charter or else completely sold out in record time.

Too bad. I wish they offered those excursions, especially one to La Cervara Abbey and at least one of the cooking excursions.

Edited by marazul