Tenders on NCL Pearl

Alaskarella

Next year I will be taking my first cruise, which will be on the NCL Pearl to Alaska! :) I was wondering how to access tenders when at different ports. Is there a certain deck on the ship to go to board a tender? Does it help to get to the tenders early? (Before they are announced?) Please help this newbie, all tips are appreciated!

I've been to Alaska with NCL on the Pearl. The Pearl doesn't tender passengers at their ports. You walk down the gangway.

There will be signs posted at the elevator/stairway to direct you to where you need to go. It goes pretty smoothly and quickly, but there can be a bit of a line. If we don't have a shore excursion planned, we wait until the rush dies down just a bit.

You will have a wonderful time, I'm sure. Alaska is outstanding. The Pearl is a wonderful ship.

Also, be certain to bring your room card with you. They scan it each time you leave the ship and then again when you return. Search for tips on the Pearl, and you should be able to bring up some threads where people posted tips for things not to miss when on the Pearl.

Also, go to the area here on Cruise Critic and read through what there is to do in each port you will be visiting. Lots of good information. We have cruised to Alaska 4 times. The first cruise, we did shore excursions, and the last 3 we have just explored on our own.

There are really a lot of interesting things to do for free or at low cost if you are on a budget. Or if you are not on a budget, Oh....so many WONDERFUL shore excursions!

I've been to Alaska with NCL on the Pearl. The Pearl doesn't tender passengers at their ports. You walk down the gangway.

There will be signs posted at the elevator/stairway to direct you to where you need to go. It goes pretty smoothly and quickly, but there can be a bit of a line. If we don't have a shore excursion planned, we wait until the rush dies down just a bit.

You will have a wonderful time, I'm sure. Alaska is outstanding. The Pearl is a wonderful ship.

The only time there may be tenders is on the first AK cruise of the season - the 10 day in early May. Tendering is possible / likely for Icy Straight Point and Sitka - which are not "normal" stops on the 7-day itineraries.

Or at least that's what my research has revealed as I prep to go in a few months.

The Pearl to Alaska is an excellent choice. But as mentioned, all ports are docking ports. However, if you ever do cruise again where there are tender ports, unless you are in a suite, with priority tendering, for the first two hours or so after tendering begins, tendering is done by numbered groups. To get a number, you go down early to the lobby and there will be a line from which you can get a number. First come, first serve. After a couple of hours, once the initial rush is over, they go to open tendering. Then tenders are just running back and forth and you go get any one you wish. Tenders board from different decks on the different ships.

The only time there may be tenders is on the first AK cruise of the season - the 10 day in early May. Tendering is possible / likely for Icy Straight Point and Sitka - which are not "normal" stops on the 7-day itineraries.

Or at least that's what my research has revealed as I prep to go in a few months.

It is also possible to tender in Juneau as well. 4 berths and 5 ships means someone tenders.

It is also possible to tender in Juneau as well. 4 berths and 5 ships means someone tenders.

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm glad we have never had to tender in Alaska.

Ah, I didn't realize that either! Luckily, we're the only ship in Juneau on my day :)

The Pearl to Alaska is an excellent choice. But as mentioned, all ports are docking ports. However, if you ever do cruise again where there are tender ports, unless you are in a suite, with priority tendering, for the first two hours or so after tendering begins, tendering is done by numbered groups. To get a number, you go down early to the lobby and there will be a line from which you can get a number. First come, first serve. After a couple of hours, once the initial rush is over, they go to open tendering. Then tenders are just running back and forth and you go get any one you wish. Tenders board from different decks on the different ships.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thank you so much!

Take a look at www.cruiseportinsider.com there you will find lots of good info on the various AK ports. They also list the port schedules - but not the actual dock space. I was on the Pearl in 2012 to AK - had a great time and we docked in all ports. If you can find a map or diagram of the ports - in Juneau you are at the SJ docks on the far end of town - down by the oil depot. The Jewel is there in the AM and the Pearl is there in the PM.

In Skagway you are at the Broadway dock - great location a short walk to downtown and a view right up the main drag of town. The Jewel is next door at the Ore Dock and two more ships are across the boat basin at the Railroad Dock.

In Ketchikan we were in what I think is berth 3 (there are 4 total).

As someone pointed out, the ports of Sitka and Icy Point Strait usually tender - but the Pearl only visits them on the first trip of the season - at least for 2015.

Enjoy your planning and your cruise :)