Cruise Wedding: NCL Sky vs. RCI Enchantment of the Seas

msrinath3

Hi all,

We are about to book a cruise to the Bahamas for our wedding at Nassau and we've narrowed it down to either the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas or the Norwegian Sky. I have reviewed the specs on both of these ships and they really seem quite comparable with the Enchantment maybe having a slight edge.

Important factors for us:

1. We will have around 50 guests with us, 80% of us are in our mid 20s with some family sprinkled

2. Doing group activities is big for us, it's important that we can do things together as a wedding party

3. Having numerous options for activities onboard is important for us

4. Food is very important - a big choice is essential to accommodate for my fiance's dietary restrictions (gluten, nuts, soy, corn allergies).

5. Quality of suites and having big blocks available for staterooms

RCI Itinerary:

Nov 23rd Embark

Nov 24th Day at Sea

Nov 25th Nassau

Nov 26th Coco Cay

Nov 27th Debark

NCL Itinerary:

Nov 23rd Embark

Nov 24th Grand Bahamas

Nov 25th Nassau

Nov 26th Great Stirrup Cay

Nov 27th Debark

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers,

Madhav

I have been on both.

The Sky is based in Miami. The Enchantment of the Sea is based in Port Canaveral (Orlando area). about 4-5 hours apart.

I would choose NCL Sky out of Miami. For 80% of your guests, free style dining would suit their desires more then set assigned time dining. Not sure if RCL is doing that yet.

I think every other thing you mention can be worked out with the cruise line before hand or is equal between each line..i.e. food and cabin availability.

On NCL, Suite guests have a butler. RCCL does not.

I found the staff on the Sky to be more personable and the ship shined more.

Not sure what the cruise lines do for wedding parties and activities.

Itinerary is a wash.

Will people enjoy a day extra in Miami or Orlando? Orlando has all the theme parks and other tourist things to do if they want to come in early or stay after the cruise.

Guess I might have given you more to think about vice helping you decide... :(

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

I have been on both.

The Sky is based in Miami. The Enchantment of the Sea is based in Port Canaveral (Orlando area). about 4-5 hours apart.

I would choose NCL Sky out of Miami. For 80% of your guests, free style dining would suit their desires more then set assigned time dining. Not sure if RCL is doing that yet.

I think every other thing you mention can be worked out with the cruise line before hand or is equal between each line..i.e. food and cabin availability.

On NCL, Suite guests have a butler. RCCL does not.

I found the staff on the Sky to be more personable and the ship shined more.

Not sure what the cruise lines do for wedding parties and activities.

Itinerary is a wash.

Will people enjoy a day extra in Miami or Orlando? Orlando has all the theme parks and other tourist things to do if they want to come in early or stay after the cruise.

Guess I might have given you more to think about vice helping you decide... :(

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Those are some good points. I was under the assumption that free style dining was available on both those ships. If it isn't available on RCCL, does it mean that I am only allowed to eat during certain assigned blocks?

If you choose the Main Dining Room then yes it will be the designated starting time for each sitting. Buffet is anytime one shows up to slop their food on their plate to navigate the little kids then to go back up to get something to drink.

Never having been on RCCL... just because of the current promo's and your age demographic, NCL would edge out. Although, I am slightly biased. I love the Sky. Again, with a group your size, it would be difficult to appeal to everyone's dining time. RCCL does still do assigned dining, even their "My Time Dining" still has a time structure. You have to make reservations that day off for a specific time. Whereas, NCL you just walk in.

Sorry, this is not true. My time dining with RCI means you can walk in at any time to eat. Reservations are recommended but not required on the huge ships (oasis and allure). I have sailed both ships and have had no trouble just walking in whenever to eat. We did make reservations sometimes if there was a show scheduled we did not want to miss.

I've sailed Enchantment (pre-refurb) and will be sailing Sky this year. Liked Enchantment.

It really came down to this for me...

-NCL had better restaurant options for me

-NCL had better promotions (Food or Drink Package)

-NCL (IMO) had the better private island

-NCL came in about $80 cheaper after port fees and taxes, all things considered.

-NCL has the youngest cruiser age in the industry. I'm in my mid twenties with no children.

That's why I booked. I wouldn't fault either ship, they're both very comparable and actually follow each other port-to-port. NCL just had the slight advantage for my situation.

Just a thought......you said your wedding was *in* Nassau. If your wedding officiant on the ship with you? Are some of your guests flying to the island or will they all be on the ship with you? Sometimes ports do get skipped or re-ordered. Not saying don't take a cruise, but do make sure you have a backup plan if it happens.