Air fare from Boston/New england

Cruise-neophyte

I figure with the wealth of knowledge out there, someone will have thoughts on my dilemma. I'll be heading with family to the Mediterranean in July 2006 with Celebrity. Right now we have the crusie air unless we get something cheaper. When do you think will be a good time to find cheap airfare?

Also, what kind of itineraries /stopovers have people had flying from Boston to Barcelona and then home from Venice? I've heard of connection time diffculties with going through paris. We rather fly from Providence, but that would most likely require 2 stops unless we fly US AIrways through Philadelphia.

Thanks

John

I figure with the wealth of knowledge out there, someone will have thoughts on my dilemma. I'll be heading with family to the Mediterranean in July 2006 with Celebrity. Right now we have the crusie air unless we get something cheaper. When do you think will be a good time to find cheap airfare?

Start looking now and keep looking. We did a cruise RT Barcelona in July that I booked in September last year. We were going to be flying out of Boston. At the time, the cruise air was $999. When you see the cruise air listed as such, the airline taxes and PFC's are not included but rather show up in the total cruise line tax.

I priced air right after I deposited the cruise and it was over $1000 per person with all taxes and fees. I kept looking and kept pricing and never saw it drop below the $999 price. Mind you, I priced going over the same day (not that I wanted to do that) as well as 1 and 2 nights prior and could not get a lower air price.

I found out our flights 60 days prior to the cruise and they were the same flights that I would have picked based on times. When I priced them, the air pricece was over $1300. The flights had us making connections both ways in Paris.

Sometimes, the cruise lines air prices are the best way to go.

We are going on our second Med cruise in May 06. When we flew last time we went Air France with a stop in Paris-never again. Paris is horrendous and Air France is a very uncomfortable airline. Seats are very small and no leg room. Check out the Delta site, Right now they are showing $ 746.00 total PP for our flight in May, in to Venice and out from Barcelona. We have been on 11 cruise and would never book through the cruiseline as the prices and schedule are terrible. You sometimes have 2 or more stops that take for forever to get where you are going. The schedule is as important as the price. Also, check Orbitz and Expedia. They will give you a good sense of whats out there for choices.

Good Luck, Sally

Just a suggestion to keep costs down. RT East Coast US to London can usually be purchased in November-January for travel in June-July for about $650. You have to purchase early. Sign up with EVERY airline you would even consider flying for their email alerts. AA flies a LOT of flights to London out of Boston.

British Airways can currently be booked-London-Barcelona, Venice-London for July for $141.00 (I picked July 3-16). Combine a RT from the US to London and BA in Europe for $800.00. Decent fare for prime time Europe.

Now for the warnings. LUGGAGE-intra-Europe flights have pretty strict luggage requirements (you will NOT be allowed the 2 70 pound bags pp, which are allowed from the US)

CO-ORDINATION-Don't schedule your intra-Europe flights too close to the arrival or departure of your US flights. Too much chance of missing your flights.

LONDON AIRPORTS-there are two-Heathrow and Gatwick. A lot of the intra-Europe flights leave from Gatwick. A lot of the US/London flights arrive Heathrow. You MAY need to transfer airports. Very easy to book this online. Price is about $20.00. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to transfer.

If you really want a cheap trip, AA and Aer Lingus (Ireland's national carrier and AA's partner) have specials ALL the time into Shannon and Dublin, especially from BOS and JFK. Then RyanAir or EasyJet to Barcelona and Return from Venice. Takes some coordination, but the price is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. I myself have a December trip and a May trip booked this way. AA-LAX/BOS to Shannon-$388.00. RyanAir-Shannon to Amsterdam RT-14.00 Euros-I guess about $20.00. Granted, prices will be higher in July, but I would still bet, if you are willing to put up with the hassle of booking separate tickets, changing airports, and coordinating your trip, you can get to and from your cruise for less than $700.00 total in July.

Just a suggestion to keep costs down. RT East Coast US to London can usually be purchased in November-January for travel in June-July for about $650. You have to purchase early. Sign up with EVERY airline you would even consider flying for their email alerts. AA flies a LOT of flights to London out of Boston.

British Airways can currently be booked-London-Barcelona, Venice-London for July for $141.00 (I picked July 3-16). Combine a RT from the US to London and BA in Europe for $800.00. Decent fare for prime time Europe.

Now for the warnings. LUGGAGE-intra-Europe flights have pretty strict luggage requirements (you will NOT be allowed the 2 70 pound bags pp, which are allowed from the US)

CO-ORDINATION-Don't schedule your intra-Europe flights too close to the arrival or departure of your US flights. Too much chance of missing your flights.

LONDON AIRPORTS-there are two-Heathrow and Gatwick. A lot of the intra-Europe flights leave from Gatwick. A lot of the US/London flights arrive Heathrow. You MAY need to transfer airports. Very easy to book this online. Price is about $20.00. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to transfer.

If you really want a cheap trip, AA and Aer Lingus (Ireland's national carrier and AA's partner) have specials ALL the time into Shannon and Dublin, especially from BOS and JFK. Then RyanAir or EasyJet to Barcelona and Return from Venice. Takes some coordination, but the price is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. I myself have a December trip and a May trip booked this way. AA-LAX/BOS to Shannon-$388.00. RyanAir-Shannon to Amsterdam RT-14.00 Euros-I guess about $20.00. Granted, prices will be higher in July, but I would still bet, if you are willing to put up with the hassle of booking separate tickets, changing airports, and coordinating your trip, you can get to and from your cruise for less than $700.00 total in July.

Great tips!

Archived