Ncl Vs Rccl

letsgosailing

Just wondering what some of you seasoned cruiser think about NCL vs RCCL. We have never traveled on RCCL but have heard really good things from family and friends. We are on the Dawn 10/2 and this will be our 3rd cruise with NCL. (1st for our 4year old). We have had wonderful vacations but I am thinking of next time booking another line-don't want to miss anything wonderful.:)

I would love to hear some honest feedback on the differences between NCL and RCCL.

probably the freestyle dining is the biggest difference. With small children the traditional dining might be a challenge. You almost have to opt for the earlier seating, with freestyle you can eat as early as 5:30 or as late as 10pm. Other than that there is very little difference. As much as I love NCL I think it is good to try something different. go for it if the price and itinerary is what you want. NMNita:o

probably the freestyle dining is the biggest difference. With small children the traditional dining might be a challenge. You almost have to opt for the earlier seating, with freestyle you can eat as early as 5:30 or as late as 10pm. Other than that there is very little difference. As much as I love NCL I think it is good to try something different. go for it if the price and itinerary is what you want. NMNita:o

I'm confused, this is posted by Poland Peggy but signed NMNita. Is that you NewMexicoNita? Is Poland Peggy another name you use when you are posting from away from home or something? If so I hope your trip is going well and you will enjoy the Jewel now that the azipod scare is over.

As far as RCCL vs. NCL is concerned, I've had great times on both. As others pointed out, the freestyle dining is probably the biggest difference. Of Course sometimes it seems the biggest difference is between old/new and big/small ships even in the same line to compare for instance Empresss of the Seas with the Dawn is not going to be a fair comparison.

I agree with Poland Peggy above (or NMNita?) it can be good to try something different. AS long as you can live with Traditional style dining ( I like it fine) give RCCL a shot. Either you'll find another line you love, or you'll come back to NCL and appreciate it even more.:)

I have cruised both lines.

Obviously, freestyle dining & disembarkation are BIG differences.

The other differences I found were in the activities. On RCCL I always felt like there was a CD in my face screaming at me over a mircophone to participate in some stupid organzied event. There were far fewer announcements on NCL & I was never made to feel as though there was something wrong with me if I didn't want to participate in some group event.

I thought the staff was friendlier on RCCL. Everybody seemed to have a few more seconds to stop & chat.

The waitstaff puts on a "show" of sorts in the dining room on RCCL. There is no such singing & clapping on NCL. I did once see a few servers quietly sing "Happy Birthday" to one passanger.

There were more choices on RCCL -- rock wall, ice skating, mall in middle of ship etc.

I liked the decor better on NCL, it was more muted & sophisticated with less glitz & neon. The bars / nightclubs seemed more sophisicated.

I enjoyed both lines. It depends on what you want.

The waitstaff puts on a "show" of sorts in the dining room on RCCL. There is no such singing & clapping on NCL. I did once see a few servers quietly sing "Happy Birthday" to one passanger.

There were more choices on RCCL -- rock wall, ice skating, mall in middle of ship etc.

I liked the decor better on NCL, it was more muted & sophisticated with less glitz & neon. The bars / nightclubs seemed more sophisicated.

One of the joys of NCL for us is that we're able to dine in peace and as adults, with no contrived "shows" in the dining room. On HAL we endured a screaming cruise director narrating the baked Alaska parade--as if we couldn't tell what was happening--while passengers in formal attire waved handkerchiefs over their heads seemingly in some kind of ecstasy. Truly a sight to behold. But never again for me, if I can help it.

Rock walls, skating rinks, the Mall of America, and the like belong on land. On a cruise ship they're unnecessary gimmicks that detract from the experience, in my view.

Rock walls, skating rinks, the Mall of America, and the like belong on land. On a cruise ship they're unnecessary gimmicks that detract from the experience, in my view.

The way I see it they far from detract from the experience. When you cruise with a family that has diverse interests the above, so called gimmicks, help to ensure that there will be something to keep everyone happy. How do they detract from the experience? All one has to do is avoid those venues. When someone is lounging in the solarium is their day somehow impacted by knowing that on some other deck folks are walking the Royal Promenade or climbing a rock wall? None of these things are intrusive on any other area of the ship. If someone is not interested so be it. I fail to see the detraction from the "experience."

One of the joys of NCL for us is that we're able to dine in peace and as adults, with no contrived "shows" in the dining room. On HAL we endured a screaming cruise director narrating the baked Alaska parade--as if we couldn't tell what was happening--while passengers in formal attire waved handkerchiefs over their heads seemingly in some kind of ecstasy. Truly a sight to behold. But never again for me, if I can help it.

I thought I was one of the few who hated the "shows". I can't stand them on land either.

I know there are poeple who LOVE the baked Alaska parade & feel their cruises are ruined if they don't have one. :rolleyes: Trust me; I've read posts like this.

Dining on NCL is so much more elegant because it's not done en mass. Given the choice, if everything else was equal, I'd take NCL anyday.

If I had teenagers, I do think I'd go back to RCL for the "distractions" like the rock wall & ice skating.

On RCCL room service during dining room hours will bring you anything on the menu. ON NCL except for suites you can only order from the room service menu(much more limited). That being said I prefer NCL. They are very close the food I like better on NCL but I never starved on RCCL.

Too funny:D "........seemingly in some kind of ecstasy."

I agree with EVERYTHING that you said. I am sooooo spoiled by Freestyle.

We been on NCL Wind to Hawaii and RCCL Radiance to Alaska.

I enjoyed my cruise on NCL much more than on RCCL.

RCCL: The ship is glitzier and has a huge centrum area where lots of people gathered. It was nice in one way, but towards the end of the cruise, there were teens who loved to shout at each other over the railings on the various steps making it quite loud. The dining room was huge on RCCL and very loud compared to the quietness on the Wind. I felt RCCL didn't have a good selection of activities for adults if you didn't like to gamble or play bingo. Embarkation was a nightmare and took over 2 1/2 hours--part of this is not RCCL's fault, but still annoying. Disembarkation was also not great--there was confusion on the luggage tags, and lots of people lying the hallways waiting for their number to be called. It was also difficult to find luggage. The solarium pool was gorgeous. We didn't use the other pool as it was chilly in Alaska, also didn't use the minature golf. The food in the Seaview Cafe was excellent. Thought the production company was talented, but the dance coreography was not that professional.

NCL: Thought the food was much better than RCCL, and presented better. The service on NCL was much better, and the staff friendlier and more helpful than on RCCL. The Wind had lots of adult activities: trivia, craft classes, hula lessons, etc. The pool areas were smaller than RCCL. I thought the production company was excellent and did a super job, especially since the theatre they used was so small.

I am also curious about the differences. We are looking at either the RCCL Serenade or the Norwegian Star for an Alaska cruise next August. The freestyle dining sounds interesting and the Star visits Glacier Bay while the Serenade goes to Hubbard Glacier. We have been on RCCL before and the Serenade looks like a gorgeous ship.

RCCI does seem to like to stretch the envelope as far as activities - some work others do not. My family does like the skating, mini-golf, rock climbing and other activities. My DD (now nearly 10) prefers RCCI to NCL for kids clubs, but enjoys both of them. She seems to have had better rapport with the RCCI (4 cruises) than the counselors on NCL (2 cruises).

If you like the traditional dining ("seating") - RCCI has that. Since you end up with the same waiters throughout the cruising they get used their pax ideosynchrasies and will proactively deal with them (on one cruise, our table all ended up wanting the same bread selection as everyone else so by the second day, the ass't waiter had adapted and had enough of that selection to go around right away). But you do have an assigned seating time (which doesn't always work out).

I prefer the decor and layout of the RCCI Radiance class ships to any other. I'm indifferent to NCL and quite frankly did not care for the Voyager of the seas (RCCI) - but that is just my tastes and preferences.

We select our cruises primarily by iternerary. We've never sailed the Carribean and it sounds like things might vary a bit by iternary. We've done HI, AK, Pac NW, Burmuda, and Maritime Proviences over the years and have enjoyed all of our cruises. Our favorites are those aboard the Radiance of the Seas to AK and the Pac NW.

Archived