Spring Break??

GT38

My son is eating breakfast on Liberty waiting to get off with his girlfriend... His UF fraternity and many other fraternities were on the ship. The older couple mentioned to him there were 75 arrests. Also, a guy fell overboard and they got him.. whatever all this means... they did not know all this happened.. I expect they were drinking too. But I told him he better not get in any trouble.... behave! He just turned 21 in Feb.

March is spring break and cruising to the islands for legal drinking at the age of 18 makes the cruises very popular. Plus, pay one price and get all you want also makes it the best spring break deal around....

Edited by dasi11

Wife & I have done a few cruises during spring break. Last was a 4 Night Bahamas on the Enchantment last March 10th (2014)...

We had a great time... One of my favorite days at CoCo Cay. Got a couple lounge chairs under the palm trees and watched the sights. The bars were three deep.. I would do it again...

Gotta say that my first spring break was in 1966.... I could be someones great grandpa....

Dennis & Sue

I cruised out of NOLA when it was LSU spring break once, and it was crazy!! They mostly hung out at the sports complex area and amongst themselves for the mst part at the fron of the ship. I did dare a drunk colleg girl to do a cannon ball into the hot tub, and she did, then sat in my g/f's lap for a bit! :D

I'm sailing on the Liberty on 9 March. I just realized that several colleges may be on spring break. I hope I didn't schedule my relaxing cruise at the wrong time. Any advise?

I'm so sorry for you. I wish you would have asked / researched this prior to booking. I'm a newbie first time cruiser and this was one of the first things I learned (on this board)... stay away from booking early March - maybe March period. But, the bright-side is, it's a cruise! You'll be basking in the sunshine and drinking Mai Tai's while you dodge all those horny co-eds. LOL. Seriously, you'll be okay I'm sure.

again the boatload of negativity is amazing here...why even bother cruising

I don't think it's a matter of negativity as much as it is fact. Cruises are cheap in comparison to other vacations. And it's contained... college kids can pay their stateroom fare, quad up in a single stateroom and pay $200 bucks for a non-stop drink package and don't have to worry about driving. They can tell their parents they're going with "Suzie" and "Lisa" but what they mean is "once we get on board all sleeping arrangements are off". Suzie will be with Johnny and Lisa will be with Rob. And there's no one there to tell them "how to act". Hell I wish I were in college again, sounds super fun! LOL

Not going to lie, some of your stories from "spring break" cruises are making me tear up while laughing, too good!!! Especially the "running of the drunks" in Cozumel and all the rowdy crowd stories (yikes about the guy overboard...)

Independence 3/8 goals: people watching, chat with a cute dude:), sweet tan, great pix and stories for a future trip review:p and ENJOY THE VACATION 100%

Sailing out of San Jaun on March 21...Do you think that will make any difference? Air fare to Puerto Rico has been quite steep. Hoping maybe that would have discouraged, some College students.

I'm sailing 29th march on allure. I'm irish so didn't even think of spring break! Very nervous and worried now! Anyone experience on allure during this time?

March 29th is Easter/Passover break for most Northern schools, so you'll have a lot of kids on board with their parents. Just enjoy!

Oh kids I can handle! I have four under 7 so kids don't worry me at all. Just not a huge fan of very drunk/rowdy people etc. But hey! I'm Irish and weather here is awful so going to focus on positive.... I'm cruising!

Sailing out of San Jaun on March 21...Do you think that will make any difference? Air fare to Puerto Rico has been quite steep. Hoping maybe that would have discouraged, some College students.

Bre, airfare might be steep DUE to/BECAUSE of so many college kids, and families, and others flying to San Juan during spring break. Supply and demand thing. That said, with so many cruise offerings out of Florida alone, or NOLA or Texas...your spring breaker occupancy will most likely be a little less than those ports that are driving distance for 2 Million Spring Breakers, but I'm sure they will still be on that cruise. Let us know once you go how it turned out?

The two of us are leaving on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore on March 21. Linda and I are mid 60s, active, and have been thru Spring Breaks with our children. My youngest son just left last night for Ghana Africa, spending his Spring break doing mission work with 15'other students from Liberty University. Very proud of him and the other students for their selfless acts over break.

That being said, I have been on my share of benders, and so have my kids.

Knowing we are spending 10 days on Grandeur during break season is a plus for the two of us. Yes..., there are always stories of some kids getting out of control, but I love being in a mixed age cruise. Seems like too many people in my age group are too grumpy and selfish. I understand some look forward to peace and quiet... But don't you get a little bored after a few days.

Get out there with the kids and join in a line dance by the pool. its fun now and then to stop acting our age !

Party Up with the kids. :D

Panama City Beach arrived on Liberty of the Seas! I was on Liberty of the Seas this past sailing (Feb.28-March5). I agree with the previous post about the out of control, drunk, super aggressive college kids. I'm not sure what RCI was thinking when they allowed over 1000-1500 (reported by staff-not sure how true)college aged kids on board. It did not seem like they were prepared with enough security to handle the issues that we dealt with on this cruise. At the muster drill ( C-14)they were loud, did not pay attention and brought drinks in hand-I know because I had one spilled down my back. On our deck (9) we awoke the to beach towels strewn down the hall. It looked and smelled like vomit. I'm not sure if the beach towels were laid there by staff or if the college kids had just tried to cover the mess. Kudos to the room attendants who dealt with this-by the afternoon everything was back in order. The out of control drinking and behavior was disturbing to watch. Our waiter commented that he had never seen the pool so crowded and "crazy" and by end of cruise said many(75) had been confined to staterooms. I'm not sure how true-just reporting what was said.

I have raised 4 kids and still have an 18 year old at home, so I'm around teens and young adults a lot. I have never witnessed such crass behavior with such complete disregard of others. The drinking and sexual behavior was no laughing matter. These are foreign flagged ships and RCI will not be held responsible. I am thankful that we did not lose one of these students overboard or some kind of drunk accident-it could have easily happened!

Panama City Beach arrived on Liberty of the Seas! I was on Liberty of the Seas this past sailing (Feb.28-March5). I agree with the previous post about the out of control, drunk, super aggressive college kids. I'm not sure what RCI was thinking when they allowed over 1000-1500 (reported by staff-not sure how true)college aged kids on board. It did not seem like they were prepared with enough security to handle the issues that we dealt with on this cruise. At the muster drill ( C-14)they were loud, did not pay attention and brought drinks in hand-I know because I had one spilled down my back. On our deck (9) we awoke the to beach towels strewn down the hall. It looked and smelled like vomit. I'm not sure if the beach towels were laid there by staff or if the college kids had just tried to cover the mess. Kudos to the room attendants who dealt with this-by the afternoon everything was back in order. The out of control drinking and behavior was disturbing to watch. Our waiter commented that he had never seen the pool so crowded and "crazy" and by end of cruise said many(75) had been confined to staterooms. I'm not sure how true-just reporting what was said.

I have raised 4 kids and still have an 18 year old at home, so I'm around teens and young adults a lot. I have never witnessed such crass behavior with such complete disregard of others. The drinking and sexual behavior was no laughing matter. These are foreign flagged ships and RCI will not be held responsible. I am thankful that we did not lose one of these students overboard or some kind of drunk accident-it could have easily happened!

Watched the Liberty kids from our aft balcony on Brilliance. They deliberately taunted the security people along the dock, crossing the red line designed to keep them safe. Not just one or two-many. No respect for anyone. I wondered when or if the ship would even be able to leave Cozumel.

Not old cranks- we are both college professors on OUR spring break!

The two of us are leaving on Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore on March 21. Linda and I are mid 60s, active, and have been thru Spring Breaks with our children. My youngest son just left last night for Ghana Africa, spending his Spring break doing mission work with 15'other students from Liberty University. Very proud of him and the other students for their selfless acts over break.

That being said, I have been on my share of benders, and so have my kids.

Knowing we are spending 10 days on Grandeur during break season is a plus for the two of us. Yes..., there are always stories of some kids getting out of control, but I love being in a mixed age cruise. Seems like too many people in my age group are too grumpy and selfish. I understand some look forward to peace and quiet... But don't you get a little bored after a few days.

Get out there with the kids and join in a line dance by the pool. its fun now and then to stop acting our age !

Party Up with the kids. :D

I doubt you will have many spring breakers. Spring break isn't until easter in the Baltimore area. Being that's its a 10 day cruise will also cut down on the college kids

Edited by Cruiser985

These are foreign flagged ships and RCI will not be held responsible. I am thankful that we did not lose one of these students overboard or some kind of drunk accident-it could have easily happened!

Actually there is word from someone onboard on that sailing that 1 of the kids did go overboard and Liberty went into overboard response! They got him! In fact that was the thinking why Liberty was late getting in to FLL. From most accounts she wasn't really late! My guess is they got him before he truly went over!

I did not hear of anyone going overboard, but heard several other stories from boys dropping their pants in the dining room to college kids getting left in Cozumel. A few waiters were forth coming with information, but most were tight lipped and professional in dealing with rumors. I'm not sure what is true-other than what I witnessed myself. I want to clarify that this behavior did not ruin my cruise, but definitely detracted from it. The bar staff was so overrun that I had to wait 30 minutes to get a drink. I ended up walking away several times instead of fighting the crowd. I'm not one to push and shove to get a drink order taken- I was outnumbered by those who would.

All of our cruises have been taken on Spring Break (I'm a teacher). We've never had a problem with college students. They do their own thing in port and rarely get up until after noon on sea days. We've actually enjoyed watching March Madness with groups of college kids on more than one occasion. And I love their positive attitudes-- they are there to have fun. I've never heard them complain about anything, other than their bar bill.:p

The rowdiest bunch on board has always been the unsupervised kids under the age of 12 that are allowed to take over the hot tubs/pools and play on the elevators. Kudos to the parents who actually

Nice video posted 3/6 Liberty Spring Break Cruise.

Oh to be 21 again, not that long ago!!

Looks like fun times being had:)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Happy Days!!

Ain't that the truth :)

What I wouldn't give for one more spring break at 21 yrs old . :)