Breakaway Teen Club?

CruiseinNJ

Not sure what you want to know exactly. But my 15 yr old nephew had a blast with the teens. They did some activities but often just used the teen area as a meeting place. They have some fun events like opening slides just for them one night, party in Bliss before it becomes adults only, group dinner with awards. They were always hanging out together- both in and out of the actual teen center.

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case - a general place to meet other teens traveling with parents (without bringing a friend along). I know it will vary cruise by cruise but didn't know if the kids clubs tended to have activities they would enjoy at that age.

The counselors there are pretty savvy about what teens want to do. They organize some good activities. When they aren't interested, they just tended to meet there and go do something else together like snacks at O'Sheehans or playing cards in an empty area. Or, their favorite past time - walking back and forth in large groups-LOL

Our daughter (16) LOVED the teen club. After Day 1 the only times we saw her were for an occasional dinner or show, or when we crossed paths on the ship (usually in or around the buffet). :)

If you have smartphones I'd suggest investing the $7.95/phone (cannot be charged to onboard credit) to activate the phone and messaging features on the NCL iConcierge app. This allowed us to check in with her every couple hours and also made us comfortable enough to let her stay out past our own bedtime.

We were on the Breakaway last year and my dd who was 13 did meet some great teens in Entourage and as other posters have mentioned, they hang out and roam in packs on the ship. Go on the first night, because this night is when groups tend to hook up. Our experience is that my daughter thought that last year was the worst experience in the teen club, because there were activities that did not occur, even though it was on the daily. The counselor that was "in charge", seem to use the excuse that teens just want to hang out and socialize, so I hope that this year it will be different. There are some activities that definitely appeal to some teens.

Our daughter (16) LOVED the teen club. After Day 1 the only times we saw her were for an occasional dinner or show, or when we crossed paths on the ship (usually in or around the buffet). :)

If you have smartphones I'd suggest investing the $7.95/phone (cannot be charged to onboard credit) to activate the phone and messaging features on the NCL iConcierge app. This allowed us to check in with her every couple hours and also made us comfortable enough to let her stay out past our own bedtime.

Yes, we were blessed with his presence for a few dinners. Which was usually an entree scoffed down followed by a "see ya'". He really had such a great time. He tries to negotiate a cruise for every school vacation.

Thanks - My daughter normally loves the teen clubs on CCL - first time we'll be on NCL, so wanted to get an idea if it's about the same. Sounds like it is!

How does that NCL iConcierge work? Do you incur additional charges from your cell phone carrier for this? Or do you turn off data roaming and all this is over the ship's wifi?

Yes, we were blessed with his presence for a few dinners. Which was usually an entree scoffed down followed by a "see ya'". He really had such a great time. He tries to negotiate a cruise for every school vacation.

Sounds like my daughter! Except she will take the time to have dinner, while constantly checking the time to see when they are supposed to meet up! She doesn't even want to consider non-cruise vacations!

Our twin boys showed up for dinner each night at our request on the Getaway. However, they didn't stay until the end often.....always looking to get back to the next "thing" with the club......willing to bet we have a repeat in June on the Breakaway....

Thanks - My daughter normally loves the teen clubs on CCL - first time we'll be on NCL, so wanted to get an idea if it's about the same. Sounds like it is!

How does that NCL iConcierge work? Do you incur additional charges from your cell phone carrier for this? Or do you turn off data roaming and all this is over the ship's wifi?

Everything is over the ship's WiFi. In fact, it only works over the ship's WiFi. You do not have to buy internet service, unless you want to for other purposes. Just throw your phones in Airplane Mode, turn on WiFi and you're set.

Just be sure to download the iConcierge app to each of your phones before you embark or at the very least, before your phone loses its 3G/4G signal from land. Otherwise you would need to purchase an internet plan on the ship to be able to access your phone's App Store and download them.

Edited by b00br

My 14 and 12 year old nephews sailed with us on the breakaway. We never saw them. They had the time of their lives. Before the cruise they were so concerned about not being able to text their friends. It never mattered after they went to their groups. They had a blast. So much in fact we are all going again on another cruise and they are very excited. It's a great way for kids to make new friends on vacation.

• 2 months later...

We went on RCL last year and my daughter still talks to her cruise friends and a few even came to Jersey from Canada to go to Great Adventure. I had a cruise contract with my daughter that she was made to read and sign before we left. I got it on one of the boards here and modified it to fit our circumstances. I insisted on dinner every night and did allow her to eat with friends 2 or 3 times (it was a 9 day cruise), and insisted on excursion days. Other than that I hardly saw her. I would definitely invest in the phone app - RCL did not offer one then - it would make me feel much better.

My daughter is 15 and still a pretty innocent kid (not delusional just know my kid). I felt the need to warn her about not going into anyones room for any reason unless she checked with me first - not even another girls, not to go with any staff, not to put her drink down, etc. She said it was the best vacation she ever had (she has been around the world and to Disney and Universal many times). i am sure the freedom she experienced was a huge part of it. I think if you go in with a set of rules and what is acceptable and not you are ahead of the game. why most people are pleasant and kind you are traveling with over 2 thousand strangers from all over the world and there is alcohol involved and drunk people. My daughter was not permitted to walk to our room alone at the end of the night and we told her to call the room and we would come and get her - there were many other things but like I said you need to do what you feel is comfortable but do not be naive and think nothing happens on these cruises - it does - more often than the public is privy to.

You can find the contract here - scroll down a bit until you get to it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907543&highlight=roam+free

We went on RCL last year and my daughter still talks to her cruise friends and a few even came to Jersey from Canada to go to Great Adventure. I had a cruise contract with my daughter that she was made to read and sign before we left. I got it on one of the boards here and modified it to fit our circumstances. I insisted on dinner every night and did allow her to eat with friends 2 or 3 times (it was a 9 day cruise), and insisted on excursion days. Other than that I hardly saw her. I would definitely invest in the phone app - RCL did not offer one then - it would make me feel much better.

My daughter is 15 and still a pretty innocent kid (not delusional just know my kid). I felt the need to warn her about not going into anyones room for any reason unless she checked with me first - not even another girls, not to go with any staff, not to put her drink down, etc. She said it was the best vacation she ever had (she has been around the world and to Disney and Universal many times). i am sure the freedom she experienced was a huge part of it. I think if you go in with a set of rules and what is acceptable and not you are ahead of the game. why most people are pleasant and kind you are traveling with over 2 thousand strangers from all over the world and there is alcohol involved and drunk people. My daughter was not permitted to walk to our room alone at the end of the night and we told her to call the room and we would come and get her - there were many other things but like I said you need to do what you feel is comfortable but do not be naive and think nothing happens on these cruises - it does - more often than the public is privy to.

You can find the contract here - scroll down a bit until you get to it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1907543&highlight=roam+free

Thank you for the insight and contract SpicyGem. This will be the first time we are cruising with a teen. My son just turned 13 in December. He's a bit shy, but I'm hoping he will give Entourage a chance and make friends. In hopes to provide an incentive, we have told him that with set parameters we are open to giving him more freedom on the cruise.

Although we don't go until July 5th, I have already downloaded iConcierge to all our phones. I like the idea of the contract so that the rules are clear and this example is very helpful!