Benoa Bali

Tour to Ubod with lunch at the Lotus Cafe at the water temple in centre of town Sensational food at a great price and ice cold beverages. Lots to see and do in and around Ubod and being in the mountains not quite as humid.

Hire a mini van with 2 or 4 other passengers

Plenty of info on Google re minivan hire. We were in Bali in August for a wedding

and hired two separate operators. Both were good and cost about $35 for 6 hours including driver and fuel

We did a day tour to Ubud and the rice terraces and it was great

I don't think I am allowed to name our two operators on this site.

We are on the Diamond Singapore to Sydney in September and we have a port day in Bali. We will not be going ashore as we have been there several times now and the shine has worn off. We found things to be quite expensive last time we were there and some of the sanitations are not real flash

Still, if you have never been there you would be interested to see the Balinese culture. The Balinese people are very friendly and welcoming. They are not too happy with the Islamists for what they did to their tourist industry in the "Bali Bombings". The Balinese are a different religion to the Muslims and are more gentle with no extremism or stuff like that

I don't know what the official DEFAT travel warning is forBali. It may pay to check their website to put your mind at rest

Anyway, have a good cruise and your day in Bali

John

We hired a driver and a van from Ubuddrivers for the day.

It was brilliant. There were 6 of us. (and the driver)

we went up to Ubud - worth it just to see the roads and the traffic.

The monkey forest, had a brilliant meal, all had 60 minute massages, some had fish foot spas, markets, saw rice paddies etc.

Total cost.......under $200 US for all of us!!!!!!!!

It as such a brilliant day. I will do it again in November!

Raina

Bali is one of the places we'll be using a ship's tour, to get priority tendering and because of concerns about scams and corruption at the port.

Having traveled to Kuta before, we'll be avoiding that area like the plague and heading to Ubud and the monkey forest.

Don't leave it too late to return to the ship by tender, long lineup and very hot each time we've been there. Try to plan for earliest time possible for tendering ashore and return. Weather usually hot/humid and traffic unbelievable, mostly motor bikes, scooters.

Souvenirs for sale by locals through the fence at the cruise terminal. Batik/sarongs ok price but you need to barter. Nothing else of note in Benoa itself.

Last time we just opted for the ship's tour to Kuta. It was just a drop off at a modern air-conditioned multi level shopping centre with all the usual stores, cheap dvd's etc, souvenirs, KFC etc. But you could walk through straight onto the beach - didn't see anyone swimming there though. A couple of hours there then back for a late lunch.

Ubud is really picturesque and not too far to travel. A driver would be a good idea as you could end the tour whenever you or your young man had had enough.

Bali is one of the places we'll be using a ship's tour, to get priority tendering and because of concerns about scams and corruption at the port.

My dad & husband are very concerned about me traveling by myself with my son. They are very anti me taking a private tour.

Wondering if I should just go to ubud on the ships tour?

Been to Kuta in my younger years and really don't want to be harassed & my son upset by people needing me to by a sarong ect

We called into Bali on the Celebrity Solstice about 12 months ago and we just did our own thing. We have been to Bali quite a few times so we know it pretty well.

For piece of mind I would just book the ships tour and you can relax and have a good time and not have to worry about getting back to the ship on time.

Cheers

My dad & husband are very concerned about me traveling by myself with my son. They are very anti me taking a private tour.

Wondering if I should just go to ubud on the ships tour?

Been to Kuta in my younger years and really don't want to be harassed & my son upset by people needing me to by a sarong ect

Ships tours...private tours...they are all targets for the hawkers..:D We have done both and both were followed by vendors on mopeds and they were waiting for us at each stop.

If it's just you and your son and considering your concerns I would opt for the ships tour.

In my opinion doing Kintamani on your own would me a big no for me, a bit far. I am a bit of a panic merchant re getting back to the ship in time.

We are hiring a driver for the day when we go there but we have been tons of times and will just probably head to Ubud to show our friends who have never been there.

Maybe just the tender ride ashore and back would be interesting, plenty to see - parasailing, local boats, naval ships and usually some local dancers at the terminal. Takes about 30 minutes each way.

Don't worry about the local sellers behind the fence (2+metres high), fair distance from terminal building entrance, where the buses drop off.

We did a ship's tour to Ubud, art/craft. About 4 hours, 3 stops - artists, silversmiths and woodcarvers, no obvious pressure to buy. Enjoyed the interesting and picturesque journey the most. Some did Ubud 'on your own' and felt a bit lost until pickup.

Kuta 'on your own' which we did late 2014, ship's tour, that I mentioned earlier was drop off at modern Discovery Mall. No bartering or harassment there with security at the entrances. Although not particularly cheap shopping. Some that ventured out to the smaller businesses complained a lot about harassment.

Check out the ship's tours, usually not too expensive in Bali. Choose wisely and enjoy.