Advice on doing San Juan on your own

Alliwanttodoiscruise

We are going to be in San Juan from 1-10pm in April. From all my reading I have decided that it would be ok to explore on our own rather than spend a lot of money on a carnival tour. Does the trolley stop at lots of places other than the forts? We would like to visit a fort and see some historical stuff, check out some shops and maybe eat. We will have our two young teens and my mother. We are all in good health and able to navigate hills, etc.

I guess what I am asking is for someone who has done this to give suggestions of how to plan the day.

We just got back and I can tell you that there is no need to do tours in San Juan. Yes the trolley runs the perimeter of the old city and will stop at forts, it is free. There is a bus system that runs horizontally around the inner streets but really it is a very small area and if you are in reasonable shape you can walk it easily. There are a few good options for cheap eats (empanadas, two dollar beer) and also some more expensive but good restaurants like Barrachina (who will store your luggage for free in a secure room, with an attendant-we did this post cruise and it was great) and Marmalade. The shopping is underwhelming and touristy but fun anyway. I had heard that you can take a ferry to the Barcardi Rum Tour but we chose not too-just had a famous Pina Colada at Barrachina's. Watch your drink prices, we stopped at a fun looking bar for a Mohjito and it cost us 9 bucks a piece! Also, I would recommend taking a walk along Paseo de la Princesa. This is a beautiful walk along a street that was used by dignitaries in the old days. They would come by ship, walk the street and enter the city through the old gate which you can still see. You will walk along the old wall of the city and the walk leads to a lovely church where the dignitaries would end their trip, giving thanks to God for safe arrival. Have fun!

I lived in San Juan for a few years. Both forts are wonderful and to tour them both will take you about 3 hours if you're so inclined. Skip the shopping - almost everything there (especially jewelry) can be had elsewhere for less (even in NYC if you shop around!). There is one artsy store on Plaza Colón that's nice. Visit Cafecultura (Pl. Colón) for the best coffee in OSJ and great sandwiches and bites. If you are with 4+ people, have tapas at Barú or Dragonfly (both a bit pricey, both worth it). And one less-visited place is Casa Blanca, a grand old house which was built for Ponce De Leon but he never got to live there.

You can easily and safely tour San Juan on your own. Get a basic map on line, read to learn which places interest you and have a great day. We've been to San Juan literally dozens of times and never tire of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, this is easy and you will have a great time!

Some things to think about-

Arrive at 1, you should be off ship by 1:30, you will be right in Old San Juan, do you want a free lunch on board at noon, or take advantage of restaurants in SJ and have a later lunch after 1:30?

Pick one or the other fort to visit. Don't try for both. If your mom is of the age where she qualifies for the US National Park service Golden Passport, and has one, bring it to get into the Forts for free. She can also buy one there. The Pass would cover her plus 3 adults. There are typically either free guided tours or movies to watch while in the forts.

The forts are both in walking distance from the pier.

I like the walk to El Morro- from the dock, go left, sort of wing slightly to the right onto Paseo la Princesa, and walk around, and you can go through the old gate then around to the fort. Nice walk.

Think about your dinner plans. Barrachina's will usually have some sort of show going on during dinner- but maybe make a reservation. There are upscale places if you want that, or local places that are a bit more divey. Both styles are fun, just depends on what you are looking for.

Find on a map or use your smart phone to locate Casa Cortes ChocoBar on Calle San Franisco- good either for lunch or just a mid-day chocolate break. Your kids can thank me later.

If you are looking for additional historical things to visit- pop in the Cathedral (Calle Cristo). We also like the views and interesting statuary in the cemetery-, it's safe in the daytime, and 'creepy' enough to keep teens interested for at least a short while :rolleyes: you can see it clearly from the lawn at El Morro.

If you have bags from any shopping, you can easily drop them off back at the ship, you are close enough.

IF you need any drugstore type tidbits while you are there, you can pop in the CVS across from the piers, or there is also a Walgreens. Top off on Sunscreen, sodas, etc.

There are several types of shops in San Juan- local stores with products of nice quality (the Barquet jewelers, Ole hat store, the spice shop on Calle Cristo, some cigar shops, the arts & crafts and linens/lace stores on Forteleza, the Butterfly People), the chain stores (Coach outlet, Crocs, an Effy jewelers etc) and then junky souvenir stores with stuff that is made in China. Figure out what your preferences are and you will have lots of shopping choices.

Look up on a sunrise/sunset calendar your date and enter San Juan to find the sunset time. Paseo la Princesa by the water is a nice place to watch for the sunset.

Also, if your teens have cell phones, they will be thrilled to have their internet access back for a few hours while in San Juan :cool: And you and your mom might be too...