Drinking age on Mahogany Bay Beach

Bgoubeaux4

I know the drinking age on the island in general is 18+ but since Mahogany Bay (the actual free beach right off the cruise port) is built by carnival will that make the drinking age at the bars 21 or will it remain at 18? Because I recall when I went to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas even though the drinking age in the Bahamas is 18, because HMC was a carnival owned island the drinking age remained at 21. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure where you heard the "legal drinking age" in Roatan was 18, but unless the law was changed recently, it's 21. Resort Websites with FAQs also state the legal age is 21 at their resorts. However, there are bars and resorts that will serve people under 21 so long as they are drinking "responsibly", which means not wearing iguana "lamp shades" on their heads like their fathers:D. Whether or not that is the case for the bars at MBCC, someone else will need to opine based on their experience. I haven't had a drink as an 18 year old in many, many years.:rolleyes:

And BTW, while Carnival is a partner in Mahogany Bay, it's majority owner is a Honduran developer on Roatan. And while the cruise port is used primarily by Carnival Corporation ships, MBCC is NOT an exclusive resort like Half Moon Cay.

Okay thank you! And the drinking age in Honduras is 18 so would that not mean Roatan since its in Honduras? And it's sounds like you had quite an experience with people wearing iguana lamp shades! Thank you for your help!

Okay thank you! And the drinking age in Honduras is 18 so would that not mean Roatan since its in Honduras? And it's sounds like you had quite an experience with people wearing iguana lamp shades! Thank you for your help!

Yes I see on several websources it's listed as 18 (changed in 2004?), but on others, dated 2009 and later, it's listed as 21. So just don't go to Anthony's Key (or Maya Key-owned by them). As far as iguanas as lamp shades, let's just say that was probably one of the tamer things (and funnier sober), that I've seen. Enjoy Roatan for it's great beaches and good snorkeling/diving!:)

• 7 months later...

I cannot find anything on this google search other than:

"In countries where no exceptions have been noted, 18 countries have minimum drinking ages of 18. Five have a national minimum drinking age of 21 (Chile, Egypt, Honduras, Russia and Samoa). This looks like it says 21 to me?

Not sure where to get accurate information from, if you go here, http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004294

it says 18 years old.

I feel sorry for those that live where it is "ILLEGAL TO DRINK AT ANY AGE"

Illegal to drink alcohol at any age (16 countries) some exceptions for non-Muslims may apply

Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Iran, Kuwait, Libya, Maldives, Mauritania, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

At least I know where NOT to travel.

I think the 21 year old drinking age is coming specifically from the cruise line and you are doing one of their excursions. If you go out on your own and the drinking age is 18, and if you're not gonna get sloppy drunk, then that is your right in that country, just be responsible about it. I certainly wouldn't send my child out on their own in a foreign country and let them have at every bar in town; that's just asking for trouble.

We went to St. Thomas via Royal Caribbean and my 18 year old, at the time, drank while we were on an excursion booked thru RCCL. I think its generally a good rule to have because I personally don't want to be around young drunk kids on the ship my entire vacation. But on the other hand, I do allow my, now 19 year old, to drink around me so that I can "control" the intake. They're going to drink anyway whether 18 or 21; if I'm around it just won't be excessive. We are traveling Norwegian next time and I will sign the waiver for him to have beer and wine on the ship, but again, I will be monitoring the intake.

What ever happened to the whole "you can drink as long as you are in international waters"? You can gamble on these ships at 18 and a gambling addiction is just as bad as an alcohol addiction.