Funchal, Madeira

Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been asked before but this thread is massive and searching through it would take forever!

We are in Funchal on Saturday 20th June and would very much appreciate some recommendations for a place to eat lunch as well as somewhere to buy a bottle of the local Madeira wine.

We've never been to Madeira before so plan to take the ho-ho bus for a ride round and visit the tropical gardens. Is there anything else that we should definitely see/do?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy Madeira wine in a lot of places but one of the best is Blandy's wine lodge in the main street, where you can taste various types. We have holidayed in Madeira a number of times and always go there. They do tours of the winery which are very interesting but tend to get booked up. I don't know whether you can prebook online.

We did both the HOHO and a trip with MadeirahappyTours which was excellent and only cost €12 each in a Mercedes with knowledgeable driver/guide and they picked us up at the port.

We had a good fish lunch in a very nice restaurant not far from the cable car, but can't remember the name.

Thank you, both :D

I think, from looking at the various websites etc, that we'll take the Yellow line ho-ho bus to the tropical gardens, then to the old town, lunch there, then back to Funchal proper for a further mooch and a spot of Madeira-buying.

Cheers for your input.

I think, from looking at the various websites etc, that we'll take the Yellow line ho-ho bus to the tropical gardens, then to the old town, lunch there, then back to Funchal proper for a further mooch and a spot of Madeira-buying.

AFAIK, none of the HOHO buses go anywhere near the Tropical Gardens. You should take the cable car for that (or a taxi, or figure out the local buses).

You will want to spend a couple of hours at the gardens, and have a look around Monte before or after that. Plus visiting the Old Town, lunch, shopping: you won't have time to make the HOHO bus worthwhile. (Save your money for the cable car and the Tropical Gardens entrance fee, which are both pricey.)

ChubbyPiggy

We did a half day tour with Madeira Happy Tours, but it was a long half day. I can't remember the name of the guide, but he had lived in South Africa for years and so, had excellent English.

The reason we didn't do one of the full day tours is because my OH doesn't like mountain roads. I worked in Madeira many years ago and knew he would have a panic as the roads are very mountainous.

The whole island is extremely pretty, so whichever trip you choose I don't think you will be disappointed. I also recommended the tour company to my friend's parents and they went with them a year or so ago and were very pleased.

There is a thread about them somewhere on CC. They get good reviews both here and on Tripadvisor.

ChubbyPiggy

We did a half day tour with Madeira Happy Tours, but it was a long half day. I can't remember the name of the guide, but he had lived in South Africa for years and so, had excellent English.

The reason we didn't do one of the full day tours is because my OH doesn't like mountain roads. I worked in Madeira many years ago and knew he would have a panic as the roads are very mountainous.

The whole island is extremely pretty, so whichever trip you choose I don't think you will be disappointed. I also recommended the tour company to my friend's parents and they went with them a year or so ago and were very pleased.

There is a thread about them somewhere on CC. They get good reviews both here and on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your information.

I see a lot of CC posts on DanielMadeira Taxi tour, but don't recall seeing posts on Madeira Happy Tour. I will do a search.

chubbypiggy

I think I found Madeira Happy Tours on Tripadvisor. I sent them a couple of emails before I booked with them and I was happy with the service and speed of their answers. Plus, we only paid at the end of the tour and no deposit.

AFAIK, none of the HOHO buses go anywhere near the Tropical Gardens. You should take the cable car for that (or a taxi, or figure out the local buses).

You will want to spend a couple of hours at the gardens, and have a look around Monte before or after that. Plus visiting the Old Town, lunch, shopping: you won't have time to make the HOHO bus worthwhile. (Save your money for the cable car and the Tropical Gardens entrance fee, which are both pricey.)

Yes, you're right. I was getting confused! I think we'll take a taxi (about €10 I'm led to believe) to the Tropical Gardens as DW hates cable cars, then another taxi down to the old town for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chubbypiggy

I think I found Madeira Happy Tours on Tripadvisor. I sent them a couple of emails before I booked with them and I was happy with the service and speed of their answers. Plus, we only paid at the end of the tour and no deposit.

I sent them an e-mail and they responded within 24 hours. Now they require a credit card to hold the booking. If I have a choice, I prefer not to give my credit card information. So I think I am going to use DanielMadeiraTaxi tour; they don't require credit card information. I can pay at the end of the tour.