Is there a best time for whale watching

knarf

I have asked a whale watching company if I could go to Mendenhall Glacier first about 2;30 and then do the whale watching after (about 6:00 PM in August while lots of daylight). Would I see as many whales at 6 PM as I would at 3 PM. or do the whales go for dinner at 6 ?? :p

If I do the whale watch first (2:30) and then do the Mendenhall tour (about 5:30 , it doesn't give me a lot of time watch the video in the visitor center, then walk to Nugget Falls and also get an upclose look at the glacier and then get back to the visitor center for the last shuttle at 6:30/7. I realize that I can get a cab to go back to the pier ( $35 :( )

By doing the glacier first, I would have more time at Mendenhall and not have to worry about how to get back to the pier .

But, my main concern is to see whales, and seeing the glacier is second priority.

Our ship is in Juneau from 2 to 10.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Frank

There is no, "time" that is better, humpbacks are eating 24/7 (almost :) )

The issue may be, which is with some vendors, the evening whale watch is shorter. IF the times are the same, then going late will work out excellent with your port schedule. However, if the whale watch is shorter, then you are going to see less. Time is a significant factor with what you see or don't see.

HEY KNARF - I mean Frank! How are you! I never did see you again to thank you for the little present you left for me at my cabin. Nor did we really get the chance to chat. Which Alaskan cruise are you taking? My hubbie and I are on Celebrity, leaving from Seattle on May 22. We're doing Harv and Marv's for whale watching in Juneau.

Hi Kriss,

What a pleasant surprise to hear from you. Yes, since I never saw you, I thought you probably got off the ship after the M&M and went home !! :p:D

We are cruising to Alaska in Aug. on the NCL Pearl for 7 days out of Seattle. Never been to Alaska so I am doing a lot of research on excursions. We are planning on doing a whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier 'trip' in Juneau.

Have you been there before ?

You are cruising out your backyard and probably no air fare to worry about. Lucky you. :)

How close are you to Seattle ?

Take care,

Frank/knarf

We've never been to Alaska. I'm one that likes warm weather in the middle of winter. I sailed solo b2b when I met you - but hubbie will go to Alaska with me. I'm looking forward to driving to the port. We are in eastern WA - so about 3 hours away. I like that I don't have to worry about the weight of my suitcases! We are sailing May 22 on the Solstice. Never been on Celebrity. We're doing Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau, the train in Skagway, and renting a motorcycle in Ketchikan. Perhaps we'll cruise on the same ship again in the future. I can let you know what I loved when I get back.

We've never been to Alaska. I'm one that likes warm weather in the middle of winter. I sailed solo b2b when I met you - but hubbie will go to Alaska with me. I'm looking forward to driving to the port. We are in eastern WA - so about 3 hours away. I like that I don't have to worry about the weight of my suitcases! We are sailing May 22 on the Solstice. Never been on Celebrity. We're doing Harv and Marv whale watching in Juneau, the train in Skagway, and renting a motorcycle in Ketchikan. Perhaps we'll cruise on the same ship again in the future. I can let you know what I loved when I get back.

Hi Kriss,

When you mention cruising to people, the first thing they say "oh, you going to Alaska ?" and my answer has always been, "he#* no, I live in Alaska for 4months of the year (NW PA weather:eek:)" Well, after running out of places to "do" in the Caribbean :rolleyes:, I figured it was time to do Alaska. I have always heard that Alaska is beautiful, so I am getting it off my bucket list !:p And to be honest, after doing much research(you know my OCD), I am getting excited to go.:D

Here are a couple of sights that I found with lots of info..http://www.cruiseportinsider.com click on the drop down arrow next to Alaska and another site: for things to do in Skagway....... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60877-Activities-c42-t139-Skagway_Alaska.html I am doing, I believe, the bus/van up the Yukon Highway and then taking the train back down to Skagway. I thought long and hard about renting a car a doing it on my own, read several posts about people doing it on their own and using the Murray guide for a thorough guide for doing a car drive. Even checked out a car in Skagway (Avis ) for $120 + gas for the day.

But, I guess I am going to use Chilkootcharter.com for the van up and train back.

In Juneau, (I think we have terrible times in port 2 PM to 10 PM. ) trying to set up whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier tours is being a little difficult, because I want to spend a couple of hours at Mendenhall, not the hour that the tour people give you. A good Skagway site is http://www.skagway.com

Since I have never been in Seattle (well, there for a very short time once) I found this site helpful for me http://www.portseattle.org

I know what you mean about driving to the port and not have to worry about weight of the suitcases and the high cost of airfare. We drove to Baltimore for a cruise one time (6 hours from home) and it was nice..airtravel is great, but frustrating lots of times !!! :)

We were on Celebrity once . Been on most all the lines-Costa-Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, Princess and HAL not Disney..and our favorite one is......ALL OF THEM !!!!!:D

Later,

Frank

Edited by knarf