Adding It Up (Cancelled Sensation)

JoeTN

Okay, I'm sorry, but I've been reading these types of threads for the last few days and first I thought they were jokes meant to get a rise out of people, but some appear to be serious.

Is anyone else absolutely disgusted by this "Yeah, I know hundreds of thousands of people lost everything, and there are thousands dead, bodies floating through the streets, etc...BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?" attitude?

Sorry you're so incovenienced by all of this and may have to wait a few weeks or maybe months. or it costs you a couple dollars more. If you're looking for sympathy, at least from those of us with actual feelings, forget it. You're just being selfish.

I can't believe what I am reading! All of this whining and crying about losing one's vacation!! I'm sure anyone in New Orleans would gladly change places with you right now.

Let's Compare:

1.) You are out a few hundred bucks.

The people in New Orleans are out tens of thousands of dollars. How much will it cost them to rebuild their houses and their lives?

2.) You can only take vacation right now.

The people in New Orleans won't be taking a vacation for a verrrry long time.

3.) Your plans have been ruined.

The people in New Orleans have no plans right now.

4.) No memories of a cruise.

The people in New Olreans have nothing but memories right now: their homes are gone, their clothes are gone, their possesions are gone, their pictures are gone.

5.) May have to settle for a less than luxourious vacation.

The people of New Orleans are living everywhere. Some of them are living with 30,000 other people in a sports arena!!! They have not had food or water in a week let alone a shower!!

So your plans are devastated, the people of New Olreans lives have been ruined and all you can do is complain about how your vacation is screwed up and you have been cheated and how badly Carnival has handled this. Maybe you should stop complaining and start saying thanks that you still have a job, a house, money, clothing, food, water, sanitation and most importantly, your loved ones.

Just think of the poor man who was on the news earlier in the week: His wife was swept away from him because he couldn't hold her. Her last words were: "take care of the kids." and she was gone.

This "me first and my needs are more important" attitude is the poorest thing I have witnessed in this tragedy. I put those complaining about their lost vacation in the same catagory as the New Orleans looters.

I know alot of you think if not right for anyone to be upset about their cruise, but for some of us its not just of of 10 cruises we've taken in the last few years. We have not taken a vacation in 5 years to save for our wedding and homeymoon. We now have nonrefundable hotel rooms in NOLA, non-refundable airline tickets to NOLA and we have to travel 500 miles further. This affects us as well as our wedding guests. Right now I think we may have to cancel our wedding because we cannot afford the costs associated with all the changes. But I don't have a right to be upset? My minister lost his home in NOLA and even HE is upset over us possibly having to cancel our wedding. Some of you don't seem to understand that for some of us this is much more than a cruise. I was in Charleston for HUGO, but I certainly didn't begrudge the people who were albe to go live elsewhere for a few months OR those that were able to take vacations and get the hell out of here until Charleston was livable again. Just because I feel I have a right to be upset over my plans being changed does not make me or anyone else cold and heartless. If it's no big deal and you'd all be SO glad to give up all your vacations then why don't some of you offer YOUR cruise to some of these people who are really upset over losing their vacations. NO, I didn't think so. I can't help but notice that many of you people that have gotten all self-rightous STILL HAVE YOUR CRUISES!

How about if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing.

I know alot of you think if not right for anyone to be upset about their cruise, but for some of us its not just of of 10 cruises we've taken in the last few years. We have not taken a vacation in 5 years to save for our wedding and homeymoon. We now have nonrefundable hotel rooms in NOLA, non-refundable airline tickets to NOLA and we have to travel 500 miles further. This affects us as well as our wedding guests. Right now I think we may have to cancel our wedding because we cannot afford the costs associated with all the changes. But I don't have a right to be upset? My minister lost his home in NOLA and even HE is upset over us possibly having to cancel our wedding. Some of you don't seem to understand that for some of us this is much more than a cruise. I was in Charleston for HUGO, but I certainly didn't begrudge the people who were albe to go live elsewhere for a few months OR those that were able to take vacations and get the hell out of here until Charleston was livable again. Just because I feel I have a right to be upset over my plans being changed does not make me or anyone else cold and heartless. If it's no big deal and you'd all be SO glad to give up all your vacations then why don't some of you offer YOUR cruise to some of these people who are really upset over losing their vacations. NO, I didn't think so

Silver, most airlines and hotels have been working with people on this... which airline and hotel is telling you they won't? That really ticks me off!!!!!

I think you have a right to be disappointed. Did you have a backup plan for your wedding?? Just in case?? I'm sorry, I know it is very disappointing, and I hope you can come up with an alternative. There are other ships, try checking on the pricing of the others... most airlines I have seen have been offering to book people on other destinations without a charge or fee, or refund the tickets. I am guessing that since your hotel is non refundable it was done through Priceline? If so, contact them personally... they have worked with me when I was flooded and stuck in MO, so I am SURE they would work with you here... good luck :o

Silvermoon2, I can understand your feelings, it's your lifetime dream wedding and it seems as if you are getting a rough deal.

Airline tickets - Maybe I am wrong, but IMHO, you have a contract with an airline to be provided a service. If the airline is unable to provide you with a contracted service (ticket) a refund should be in order.

Hotel Room - Same as the above, you have contract with them for a room(s), if they aren't providing a service - refund!!

If you paid for the above items on a credit card, talk to your credit card company, there are ways to dispute a service not rendered. It seems to me that your credit card is NOT charged for the hotel room until you check in.

Hope you can resolve the charges!

I have been "biting" my tongue for the past couple of days after reading these "flaming" posts. So many of you that are on your collective "high" horses about how selfish people are about losing their cruises need to take a step backwards! I have a family reunion cruise scheduled on the Sensation for March 11, 2006. The Sensation is scheduled to be "leased" until March 2. My plans are up in the air for now..I am not being offered a 100.00 per person credit as of now because my cruise has not been cancelled as of yet but chances are that it will be..Let's be realistic. My heart bleeds for these people, in fact, My DH and DD will be serving breakfast to 600 victims tomorrow morning with our church. I have donated time, resources, whatever I can...

My question is this...Why did Carnival take three ships from the "South" instead of taking one from Florida, one from the East coast, and one from NOLA. Instead those of us that live within driving distance to Galveston or NOLA have been "hit" the hardest with cancellations and an attitude from Carnival that they don't care if we have to pay more. As I said before, I am trying to be proactive and reschedule my cruise but at a MUCH greater cost than my original. I am an exclusive Carnival cruiser but I am really disappointed in how they are handling this situation with thier customers. We have seen thread after thread about Carnival's poor customer service but now all the sudden they are the heroes? I commend them for doing what they are doing and I am happy to give up the Sensation is that is what is necessary, but Carnival needs to treat their customers with a little more respect or they may have many fewer customers when this is all over. Oh, maybe they are counting on the "good PR" they are recieving through the news media to get new cruisers.. I OWN A BUSINESS..IT IS MUCH EASIER TO KEEP THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE HAPPY THAN TO FIND NEW ONES AND KEEP REPLACING THEM.

Also, I see that those of you that are doing the most "flaming" are people that haven't had their upcoming cruises affected or you cruise out of ports that aren't affected...I just wonder if your cruises were affected or going to be affected if you would still be on your "high" horses..Go ahead and FLAME away, I am expecting it.:( There's my rant for the day.

Stacey, I'm sorry to hear that... it does sound like your cruise will be affected, I can't see how it won't be :( I'm not sure what their reasoning is for which ships they chose... it looks like 3 of the older ships, so I am sure that came into play... It does seem bad that the only port that will be sending ships out in that area will be Galveston... I know this has impacted all of you in the area, in more ways than one. I had a short business cruise in February cancelled, but we can go elsewhere, if it was vacation, I am sure I would be more disappointed, it's human nature... I hope you can find something else that will accomodate all of you... I would try calling the groups dept on Tuesday and see if they can help?? Good luck....

Also, I see that those of you that are doing the most "flaming" are people that haven't had their upcoming cruises affected or you cruise out of ports that aren't affected...I just wonder if your cruises were affected or going to be affected if you would still be on your "high" horses..Go ahead and FLAME away, I am expecting it.:( There's my rant for the day.

Our cruise out of NOLA on Sensation was to begin 12/26. Nine of us were to go, including four from California and five from Chicago - one being my 90 yo MIL. Our airline tickets were already purchased, and not through Carnival. It is a major inconvenience and at added expense to make other arrangements of some sort for what was to be a family reunion and Christmas trip. But, we will live with it. I have been one to take a few folks to task (though I wouldn't label them "flames) for whining about their cruises in the face of the absolute CATASTROPHIES that have befallen other folks - If that is considered being on a high horse", so be it. I’ll live with that, too.

BTW, someone who doesn't agree with your point of view or finds and points out selfishness in others as disgusting isn't necessarily the "flamer".

In addtion, non-refundable almost ALWAYS means non-refundable if YOU decide to cancel - not when the hotel, airlines, etc., cannot fulfill their end of the bargain. I would like to see specific mention of a specific airline, hotel, whatever, who has told folks that their payment or deposit will not be refunded as it relates to services or accommodations in NOLA that cannot be fulfilled. If there are some, and they are detailed, I will personally call them to complain on your behalf and would ask others to do so, as well.

Stacey, I'm sorry to hear that... it does sound like your cruise will be affected, I can't see how it won't be :( I'm not sure what their reasoning is for which ships they chose... it looks like 3 of the older ships, so I am sure that came into play... It does seem bad that the only port that will be sending ships out in that area will be Galveston... I know this has impacted all of you in the area, in more ways than one. I had a short business cruise in February cancelled, but we can go elsewhere, if it was vacation, I am sure I would be more disappointed, it's human nature... I hope you can find something else that will accomodate all of you... I would try calling the groups dept on Tuesday and see if they can help?? Good luck....

Goin Cruisin,

I think your attitude is great! Those of us that have cruises that are directly affected are just looking for someone who can understand where we are coming from without getting 20 lashes. I appreciate your understanding words...We are all in this together.

This is some of the most disgusting, selfish, absolutely obscene things I've ever read on this board, EVER.

I love cruising more than I can say, but honestly, to even be thinking of your cancelled vacation at a time like this, when people are starving, thousands have drowned in their attics, many are still surrounded by poisoned water while millions have had their lives changed FOREVER - no JOB, FOOD, SHELTER, only the clothes on their backs, INCLUDING those who were well off enough to EVACUATE... and have NO WHERE TO GO, or NOTHING TO COME BACK TO, is one of the ugliest things I've ever witnessed.

Maybe you should:

1 - Thank whatever higher power you believe in for what you have right now, and that you are not in their shoes.

2 - Enjoy your life TODAY, enjoy your WEDDING (good thing your wedding isn't in NOLA, and you still have a wedding and living guests who are able to come celebrate with you - how many weddings were scheduled for this weekend in NOLA/MISS/ALA etc do think? What about THEM???), Birthday (how many birthdays in NOLA this past week do you think?), Reunion (good thing you have a family left to even HAVE a reunion.... ), whatever the hell it is you have to CELEBRATE, and then DONATE what you're getting refunded from Carnival to the RELIEF EFFORT.

3 - Grow up and make other arrangements with some GRACE.

unbelievable!

To everyone losing their cruises, wedding plans, vacations, etc., I'm truly sorry it happening. However, there are greater things being done here in the case of humanitarian need. Can we not sacrifice a bit to help those who are dying, ill, in need of a dry warm bed in which to sleep in..? For me, all I can do is provide financially via one of the organizations helping. For you, it's allowing these people to use your cabin while they heal.

You'll be getting your money back soon. Maybe not in time for a grand vacation like a cruise, but not so you'll be out everything like those in New Orleans and the surrounding area.

Change your plans, do something else, and pray to whatever deity you believe in that you and your family is safe & sound.

As for the wedding changes. Do not even talk to me about that. My wife and I literally had our wedding cancelled on us an hour (yes, an hour!) before we were supposed to get married. Long story short, we ended up finding a place and getting married 90 minutes after what we had scheduled. Granted, we got married in Las Vegas, but it was not an "on the fly" thing. It had been planned for months. We ended up losing about $200 on it too. My best advice for those with weddings affected, seriously look elsewhere. You can always renew your vows at a later date and have that dream.

I too have been biting my tongue on all the flaming that has been going on. Just to remind those of you who frequent these boards, the Cruise Critic guidelines say "Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person."

So referring to those worried about their cruises, vacations, or whatever they want to worry about as being "selfish, disgusting, or obscene" is flaming!!

No I haven't been on a cruise, lost a vacation, or lost loved ones to the hurricane but I have had tragedies in my life and they don't stop me from living. Life goes on and we must move on.

And not to reduce the loss of the Katrina refugees, but there have been many of thousands of people suffering from starvation and lack of nutrition in many third world countries. These people aren't considered when many of you were worrying about your next vacations.

So, please keep your "flaming" to yourselves when someone has a legitimate complaint or comment. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

My heart goes out to those affected by Katrina and yes, I have donated to the red cross and will do more if I can.

But guys, come on, This board is for questions/answers on cruising.

Please note, people are just asking questions on their cancelled cruise, vacations, flights, etc. DON'T JUDGE THEM FOR THEIR CANCELLED CRUISE

I bet you the ones that judges them are not affected by the cancelled cruise. Its easy to give your opinions when your not one of them

I can see this entire thing is getting out of hand. I do believe we all feel very bad about the hurricane victims and have donated what we can to their cause. Yes, I think we all feel very lucky it didn't happen to us. Yes, I feel very happy that my bother in Mississippi had little house damage and his family and his job are still in good shape. This board is for cruising guys. People who have saved forever to go on vacation and have been dreaming about it for maybe up to a year, are human beings too. They feel bad about their vacation being toast. This is just a place where other people are in the same position as they are and are merely looking for advice. They're not thinking selfishly...not really. My vacation may well be gone too (the NCL Sun scheduled to leave from NOLA on Oct. 16). I'm still awaiting NCL's decision on this matter. It's nice to be able to "vent" so to speak about the many changes that have taken place so quickly and yet be so very grateful I have a home around this computer to communicate these feelings with. So, let's not accuse people of being selfish and less than human; that's just it, we are human beings and after the initial shock of all that has happened begins to abate, we all try to live our daily lives again of one form or another.

This is some of the most disgusting, selfish, absolutely obscene things I've ever read on this board, EVER.

No it's not, your comment is.

I sympathize with those whose vacation plans were ruined. It's not a disaster, but disappointing nonetheless.

Tipfamily made an excellent point. People are suffering and dying worldwide everyday, so given the philosophy that it's not right to plan vacations while others are suffering, I guess we should never cruise and donate all of our disposable income to those less fortunate.

I just re-booked my cruise with carinival. The one thing that I was told is that it will take two to four weeks to get my money since the cruise I re-booked is cheaper than the original one. They said they cannot add it to my ship n sail account:( (we went from a 7 to a 5 night cruise and now have a credit). So my question is how are you to re-book with another cruise line if carnival has your money:confused:. I moved my cruise back several weeks so hopefully we will have the money in time, if not thank goodness for savings. Just wondering......

I do sympathize with those who have had their cruises cancelled. Yes, there are worse things going on in our country right now than losing a vacation, but I understand they are disappointed. They feel they can express their disappointment here, because this is a cruise board. It is also a board that has many members who have been directly or indirectly affected by Katrina and our hearts go out to all of them.

There have been many tactful, helpful responses here, but there have been many rude, nasty, hateful comments as well. I can only hope the latter comments are coming from the hurt they are feeling for our neighbors in the Gulf states, and their need to lash out at others they feel are being insensitive to the situation. I think some people need to get a grip. You just never know what other challenges people are having to deal with in their every day lives. I think it's time for a little common courtesy around here. There are ways to express your disagreement with someone without being so hateful. I know tensions have been running extremely high the last few days, but honestly, b*tching and moaning because people are disappointed their cruises are cancelled isn't going to help the hurricane victims one bit.

I know alot of you think if not right for anyone to be upset about their cruise, but for some of us its not just of of 10 cruises we've taken in the last few years. We have not taken a vacation in 5 years to save for our wedding and homeymoon. We now have nonrefundable hotel rooms in NOLA, non-refundable airline tickets to NOLA and we have to travel 500 miles further. This affects us as well as our wedding guests. Right now I think we may have to cancel our wedding because we cannot afford the costs associated with all the changes. But I don't have a right to be upset? My minister lost his home in NOLA and even HE is upset over us possibly having to cancel our wedding. Some of you don't seem to understand that for some of us this is much more than a cruise. I was in Charleston for HUGO, but I certainly didn't begrudge the people who were albe to go live elsewhere for a few months OR those that were able to take vacations and get the hell out of here until Charleston was livable again. Just because I feel I have a right to be upset over my plans being changed does not make me or anyone else cold and heartless. If it's no big deal and you'd all be SO glad to give up all your vacations then why don't some of you offer YOUR cruise to some of these people who are really upset over losing their vacations. NO, I didn't think so. I can't help but notice that many of you people that have gotten all self-rightous STILL HAVE YOUR CRUISES!

How about if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing.

I have a friend from another board who was scheduled to get married at the Royal Sonesta on 11/11. RS will not give them a refund because "they plan to be open by then." Well, the airport may not be open to commerical flights by then - it's estimated to be out of service for commercial traffic until sometime in November. The RS told my friend they will give them a refund after 11/11 if they are not open by then. So what are they supposed to do? Have their wedding plans placed in limbo? Plan another wedding and pay double? It's absurd. Not to mention the city will still be in the middle of a major recovery then - it's certainly not going to be the atmosphere they originally wanted.

I truly sympathize with you - I hope you get things worked out.

Rhonda

So referring to those worried about their cruises, vacations, or whatever they want to worry about as being "selfish, disgusting, or obscene" is flaming!!

Condescendingly scolding those who mention the utterly unseemly behavior of those who would publicly whine about losing their cruise in the face of all this is flaming, too.

So, please keep your "flaming" to yourselves when someone has a legitimate complaint or comment. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Please, practice what thou preach.

Please, practice what thou preach.

Thank you. I will take your advicer into consideration. I'm glad you found my post useful and have learned from it. Because you stated in your previous post, "someone who doesn't agree with your point of view or finds and points out selfishness in others as disgusting isn't necessarily the "flamer"." Now you can retract that statement and agree that the flaming must stop and allow those to post their legitimate concerns about their cruises. Again, please, can't we all just get along??

Forgive me if this comes across the wrong way - but with everything that is happening I can't for the life of me see how an employer would say NO to someone wanting to change their vacation dates. I am not blasting the posters - only thinking that since is this the weekend how can anyone be so sure that their employer will not be more compassionate about their employees misfortune. It's not like these people have a choice - their vacation just isn't there.

Forgive me if this comes across the wrong way - but with everything that is happening I can't for the life of me see how an employer would say NO to someone wanting to change their vacation dates. I am not blasting the posters - only thinking that since is this the weekend how can anyone be so sure that their employer will not be more compassionate about their employees misfortune. It's not like these people have a choice - their vacation just isn't there.

I agree Cheryl... some things can't be changed, that is understandable, but if someone came to me, given the situation, I would be flexible... I think many people should try talking to their employer before assuming they would not be flexible in this situation. I hope everyone is accomodating to letting them change their dates...

Archived