FLL Help with Half Day Plan, please

Ellanora

Hello all. I have been scouring these boards and other sources, and gathering as much info as possible on Fort Lauderdale restaurants and things to do. So many people who have been so helpful here, always really appreciate these boards!

Myself and family will be driving to FLL in 2 cars on Saturday 3/21. We are staying at the Staybridge Suites in Plantation and sailing on Allure on Sunday. There are six of us - parents age 60, me 39, son 18, son's gf 21, and niece 19. Mobility is not an issue, but there is a limit to the amount of walking my mom can do without rest stops. For this reason, I don't think we stand much of a chance at making it to the jetties to watch the ships sail out.

I expect we will make it into the city by 1:00PM. It seems nowadays you have little to no chance to check in early to your hotel, so I see no point in wasting time trying.

I originally was looking hard at the water taxi from Las Olas to a restaurant and back, however, reading the reviews it seems like a lot of time would be wasted just waiting for the boat to come to the stops, and while it might be fine if we wanted to do the full loop, we just won't have the time. So I've decided best to drive to the restaurant we want for a late lunch, then drive out to the beach, perhaps Fort Lauderdale Beach Park? Walk around a bit, then head over to the hotel to check in and relax, then back out somewhere for dinner.

For lunch, I really want somewhere with seafood, but needs to have a varied menu - son's girlfriend does not care for seafood. Also, not looking for heavy entrees, more along the lines of shrimp baskets, wings, fries, fried fish, chicken tenders, easy food for having drinks with and enjoying the scenery. I've heavily considered 15th Street Fisheries, Bimini Boatyard, Southport, and Bahia Cabana. Pretty much ruled out Bimini due to the menu. Southport looks good but seems like a quieter view, set back away from the main waterway. Bahia Cabana has the best looking menu for variety and looks like a big deck? Maybe a lot to see in the marina area? But the reviews run hot and cold. 15th Street Dockside gets good reviews but menu seems so-so for variety. LOL, really trying not to be picky but want to find a place we will have fun spending time at, can lean back and relax and really start our vacation.

Dinner - it will be Saturday evening/night in Fort Lauderdale during spring break, so I expect all of the restaurants will be insane. I like the idea of walking Las Olas shopping area, it looks pretty in pictures lit up at night, but am concerned about parking and crowds. Big City Tavern looked pretty good though. Or maybe we should drive somewhere else entirely, maybe Shuck N Dive?

Any and all thoughts and opinions appreciated.

1. I live across the street from one water taxi stop and work next to another. People NEVER wait more than a couple of minutes for one of the water taxis. At any given time, I see about twenty or so of their boats out and about on the water when we are out on our boat.

I also don't think you will be jumping on and off the water taxi. I would put it back on your list. Highly recommend this.

2. Southport Raw Bar, Kellys Landing, and Bahia Cabana would work for you. LuLus Baitshack and Aruba which are actually oceanfront would also be good as good.

3. I love Big City Tavern. It's been on of my favorites for years. Shuck N Dive is also very good but I don't know if I'd leave Las Olas to go there.

4. The top of the 17th Street Bridge is an excellent place to watch the ships leave.

Edited by BlueHerons

How long is your drive on Saturday? Frankly, I would go to hotel and chill - don't worry about lunch, pick a nice dinner spot on Las Olas, get a good night's rest for your cruise

I would call the hotel at 8a on Saturday, request an early check in.

A little over 4 hours, not too bad, but for various reasons we won't get there until between 12:30-1:30 in the afternoon.

That's an idea, about the early check in, though honestly, with our past experiences, I don't expect it to work. But I do think we want to get out and see Ft Lauderdale a bit, since we've never had the opportunity to spend any time there. Especially if the weather is nice.

1. I live across the street from one water taxi stop and work next to another. People NEVER wait more than a couple of minutes for one of the water taxis. At any given time, I see about twenty or so of their boats out and about on the water when we are out on our boat.

I also don't think you will be jumping on and off the water taxi. I would put it back on your list. Highly recommend this.

2. Southport Raw Bar, Kellys Landing, and Bahia Cabana would work for you. LuLus Baitshack and Aruba which are actually oceanfront would also be good as good.

3. I love Big City Tavern. It's been on of my favorites for years. Shuck N Dive is also very good but I don't know if I'd leave Las Olas to go there.

4. The top of the 17th Street Bridge is an excellent place to watch the ships leave.

Thank you for the info! Regarding the water taxi, I had orginally thought we would get on near the Las Olas shops, but it seems the parking garage is at the first stop and the shops are at the 3rd. So we'd get on at 1st, but I've read you have to get off at 3rd to board a different taxi. Then we would get off, perhaps the stop at Bahia Cabana? Then lunch and back to water taxi and back to 3rd, then back to 1st. It just seems like a lot of time could be spent in the waiting for taxi that driving straight to the restaurant would skip. I also expect a lot of people will be out and about on a Saturday in late March.

I really like the look of Southport and Bahia Cabana menu. But Bahia looks like more deck space and better views?

Good to hear Big City and Shuck n Dive are both good options!

I think I'm heading in the right direction here, just trying to make sure my whole group has a great time. I really appreciate the help!

Thank you for the info! Regarding the water taxi, I had orginally thought we would get on near the Las Olas shops, but it seems the parking garage is at the first stop and the shops are at the 3rd. So we'd get on at 1st, but I've read you have to get off at 3rd to board a different taxi. Then we would get off, perhaps the stop at Bahia Cabana? Then lunch and back to water taxi and back to 3rd, then back to 1st. It just seems like a lot of time could be spent in the waiting for taxi that driving straight to the restaurant would skip. I also expect a lot of people will be out and about on a Saturday in late March.

I really like the look of Southport and Bahia Cabana menu. But Bahia looks like more deck space and better views?

Good to hear Big City and Shuck n Dive are both good options!

I think I'm heading in the right direction here, just trying to make sure my whole group has a great time. I really appreciate the help!

I did not know that about the water taxi. Yes, the shops are at the 9th Street stop but the shops actually start around the start just east of the parking garage. We've only taken the water taxi during boat show.

Yes, it is very crowded here right now but the water taxi uses the double decker boats on the busy routes.

Bahia definitely has a larger deck with better views. Southport only has about ten tables or so outside. ALL of Bahia Cabana is outside. It is a lot of fun!

You have to valet at Bahia. If it isn't free, it is minimal but of course you tip.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks again to those who posted advice, and to give a quick review in case anyone else has similar plans.

We did eat at Bahia Cabana after getting into Fort Lauderdale around 12:30 PM. It was a little busy but we did not have a problem getting a table in the shade, though by the time we left, it was in full sun. However, the staff were slowly bringing out umbrellas at that time for the tables, so I'm sure the next patrons had shade again. We did valet as suggested, as you really have no choice - there are no parking spaces available for visitors. I think it was only $3.00, plus a tip, which was surprisingly cheap, I thought.

Service was slow, but the waitress herself was great. Drinks and food were both very good! The fish sandwiches in particular were outstanding. We really enjoyed the view of the marina and watching the water taxis sail in, and the Jungle Queen day cruise ship sail out. If you are not in a hurry and just want to relax with a drink and a view, I would definitely recommend Bahia Cabana.

After that, we planned to park at the beach and walk a bit, however, the beach parking was full due to an event. (AIDS Walkathon festival I think? Looked like everyone was having a good time.) So we went ahead to the Staybridge Suites in Plantation to see if we could luck out and check in early.

I have stayed in three different Staybridges in three different cities, so far every one has been outstanding. We were able to check in to one room early, which gave us a place to put our stuff down and get comfortable. the second room became available after a couple hours. We walked around a bit; they have a nice pool area, a very nice barbecue area, and a great firepit with seating area. The free breakfast in the morning was a pretty good selection, make your own waffles, premade (probably heated from frozen) cheese omelettes, scrambled eggs, heated ham slices, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, breakfast breads, juice/milk/coffee, etc.

For dinner, we drove just a few miles up the street from the hotel to Landlubber's, which was a large sports bar & grill. Good prices, lots of food options, and everything was tasty, particularly the spicy teriyaki wings. We were very happy with our meal here.

We definitely enjoyed the area of Fort Lauderdale we were in - and I would love to spend more time there and be able to do the water taxi tours one day, and walk the beach.