HAL or Hurtigruten for best scenery

Considering taking Mom on a Norway coastal cruise.. Maybe as far as the north cape. She is 95, and won't be doing many excursions. Its just to relax and admire the scenery. I know there are major differences between the two in terms of the cruise itself. Just wondering which would have better scenery for her... a cruise to the north cape on HAL, a B2b Fjord/viking saga HAL cruise, or Hurtigruten.. We would be going most likely in may 2016 on either the Rotterdam or Midnatsol.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?voyageCode=T636&offerActionType=&offerType=&offerCode=

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=E6N14T&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=EN&dateCode=5_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=RT&voyageCode=T618A

Much as I like Holland America, the Hurtigruten might be better suited to your needs. With HAL the ship will be tied up on quite a few days, sometimes in commercial berths with not much to look at.

The Hurtigruten usually berths in the middle of the town or village fir relatively short times. There will also be stuff to look at while the ship is in port.

The Hurtigruten stays much closer to shore. There are 61 stops, so they don't get too far away from the land. HAL will stop in port all day, then head out to sea (though often via a long fjord) and stay out at sea until they reach the next port approach.

Rough seas aren't normally a problem in Norway, but FWIW Hurtigruten is more sheltered. Though probably a smaller ship.

Considering taking Mom on a Norway coastal cruise.. Maybe as far as the north cape. She is 95, and won't be doing many excursions. Its just to relax and admire the scenery. I know there are major differences between the two in terms of the cruise itself. Just wondering which would have better scenery for her... a cruise to the north cape on HAL, a B2b Fjord/viking saga HAL cruise, or Hurtigruten.. We would be going most likely in may 2016 on either the Rotterdam or Midnatsol.

It is nice that you are considering this option for your mother, including going as far to the top of Europe as the North Cape. As noted/connected below, we had a chance to go ALL of the way along this scenic and wonderful coast line. For our "neighbor" to the north in Michigan, let me raise a few questions and push your "options/considerations" to some degree.

1. TIMING/SCHEDULE?: You mention doing this trip in May. Why this timing? Your "weather odds" will be better and more favorable in late June and July. The month of May can be more challenging for your weather conditions, what you can see and enjoy, etc. When you study the weather details and talk with experienced experts for this area of the world, it be worth considering your timing assumptions.

2. EXCURSIONS/UP COUNTRY?: You mentioned "She is 95, and won't be doing many excursions." No excursion or just a smaller number? Some excursions in this area can be fairly easy AND add lots to your understanding/appreciation for these wonderful areas, their drama and beauty, etc. This includes by doing a little that is "up country" to see more than just those locations in the ports and/or at sea level. How limited is your mother's mobility and/or interests?

3. OTHER INTERESTS?: What do you and your mother really want to see, do and experience? Besides scenery, how much would you be doing this for history, wildlife, culture, shopping, etc.?? Those desires might affect your choices/options.

Lots more details and visuals are outlined on my live/blog below. Happy to answer any added questions, etc. Don't be shy!! Tell us more about your past Europe travels and what specifics you are seeking for this "adventure".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 173,367 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We did a Norway Fjords cruise a few years ago on a Fred Olsen ship. They are Norwegian owned ships, but cater mainly for the British market. Funnily enough I was looking at our photos the other night as we are thinking of going to the North Cape with them in the summer.

Their ships are fairly small, so dock in the town centres and there is no tendering. Due to the fact they are Norwegian they have quite a number of cruises to that part of the world.

TLC, here's a bit of background. I'm am doing a hurtigruten winter cruise next year. I want to see Norway in the summer as well, so planned on doing a mainstream cruise for the summer. It occurred to me, that maybe I could bring my mom along.. One last trip together. She had pretty much ruled out anymore travel, but I think this is something she could handle. She is 95, visually impaired, and unsteady on her feet. She has difficult walking because of arthritis and with the low vision, it is not enjoyable and tires easily. When out and about, she can't see much more 10 or15 feet away, other than outlines. She spends most of her time reading her kindle or watching tv (with difficulty). She doesn't have the strength to get on and off busses, but can get in and out of a car. I am considering a wheelchair, but she prefers not to use it.. She has a lot of pride... So excursions are pretty much out of the question unless it just a driving tour... Though how much she would see is hard to say. We could go any time, though shed rather go when the ships are not so full. It's very difficult for her when there are large crowds. I know she would prefer to eat her meals with just me.., she has a hard time using her fork due to the vision problems. It's embarrassing for her. But actually she is in pretty good health for her age. Her mind is sharp and she very sociable. She took her first trip to Europe at 88, spending a week in Paris with me. Then at 89, we did a three week Med cruise. Though she enjoyed it, it proved to be very hard on her. All the tours and walking on the ship, and airports wore her out. So I'm just looking for something where she can enjoy a change of scenery and relax...

Whatever else you do, I'd recommend borrowing a wheelchair, if only to use it to move about the ship and in the airports. On Hurtigruten, it might be easier to get on and off the ship in a wheelchair, if it's a nice day. They certainly have a step-free access because they drive cars on and off - if they allow you to use it. Half an hour's push round town might be enjoyable on a nice day.

In May, there will be more snow about. Will that make the mountains easier or harder to see for your mother?

Whatever else you do, I'd recommend borrowing a wheelchair, if only to use it to move about the ship and in the airports. On Hurtigruten, it might be easier to get on and off the ship in a wheelchair, if it's a nice day. They certainly have a step-free access because they drive cars on and off - if they allow you to use it. Half an hour's push round town might be enjoyable on a nice day.

In May, there will be more snow about. Will that make the mountains easier or harder to see for your mother?

good point. if the sky is grey the snow will blend in making it harder to see. what about early september? I'd prefer to go when the kids are back in school.

If the sky is grey, I think a snow-covered mountain would be easier to see than a brown/grey one. (Though I dare say some of them are above the snowline anyway.)

I'd stick to May. The days are a lot longer than in September. By 21st May in Tromso and all places north, for example, you're into 24-hour daylight; whereas on 21st September it's 12 hours across the board. Average daytime temperature is marginally warmer in September than in May, but as it's only 5 degrees v. 7 degrees, I dare say you'll be watching from the heated lounge anyway.

You're right to avoid high summer, because the ships (so they tell me) get a bit busy.

TLC, here's a bit of background. I'm am doing a hurtigruten winter cruise next year. I want to see Norway in the summer as well, so planned on doing a mainstream cruise for the summer. It occurred to me, that maybe I could bring my mom along.. One last trip together. She had pretty much ruled out anymore travel, but I think this is something she could handle. She is 95, visually impaired, and unsteady on her feet. She has difficult walking because of arthritis and with the low vision, it is not enjoyable and tires easily. When out and about, she can't see much more 10 or15 feet away, other than outlines. She spends most of her time reading her kindle or watching tv (with difficulty). She doesn't have the strength to get on and off busses, but can get in and out of a car. I am considering a wheelchair, but she prefers not to use it.. She has a lot of pride... So excursions are pretty much out of the question unless it just a driving tour... Though how much she would see is hard to say. We could go any time, though shed rather go when the ships are not so full. It's very difficult for her when there are large crowds. I know she would prefer to eat her meals with just me.., she has a hard time using her fork due to the vision problems. It's embarrassing for her. But actually she is in pretty good health for her age. Her mind is sharp and she very sociable. She took her first trip to Europe at 88, spending a week in Paris with me. Then at 89, we did a three week Med cruise. Though she enjoyed it, it proved to be very hard on her. All the tours and walking on the ship, and airports wore her out. So I'm just looking for something where she can enjoy a change of scenery and relax...

Appreciate this added background for you and your mother. PLUS, congratulations for working so hard to find the best "fit" given your mother's challenging needs. BUT, for age 95, he abilities and interests are to be admired. Good luck!!

Wish that I had a perfect, easy, simple answer. Some others have given some other suggestions to consider.

There is the key question for how far up the Norway coast you would want to go. We loved the Lofoten Island going to the North Cape, etc., but maybe just doing the fiords, Bergen, etc. would be make things easier and simpler. Here are my notes on those "trade-offs" regarding that choices about your logistics and timing regarding how far up and UP to go along that coastline.

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Keep doing your good research and planning!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 100,990 views for this posting.

Someone brought up the point, on the mainstream cruises, when in port you're there all day, so if you're not getting off the ship, you're looking at the same thing all day long. For that reason, I think Hurtigruten is a better fit... Since it's constantly moving from one port to another, probably more interesting if not getting off the ship. If she decides she is able to do this, I am going to rent a wheelchair, just too ensure she doesn't overdo it. Hopefully they'll be one or two excursions appropriate for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk