Belize River/Belize Zoo--NCL--which excursion?

Tarheelbelle

NCL is offering 2 excursions that sound very similar:

1]Wildlife Adventure--6hrs, level 1, meal--a 20 mile trip on a "motor launch" up the Olde Belize River, lunch at Olde River Tavern, then road trip to the Belize Zoo. cost $89pp

2]Belize Zoo and Belize River--6hrs., level2, meal--Belize Zoo, then a meal, then a "pictureque boat tour" on the Olde Belize River. cost $99pp.

Has anyone done either of these and does anyone know how they are different from each other?

Last year in Belize, I did Lamanai and New river safari, so I want to do something else this year. I am also considering the Lost World Canopy tour and Rappelling.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...
NCL is offering 2 excursions that sound very similar:

1]Wildlife Adventure--6hrs, level 1, meal--a 20 mile trip on a "motor launch" up the Olde Belize River, lunch at Olde River Tavern, then road trip to the Belize Zoo. cost $89pp

2]Belize Zoo and Belize River--6hrs., level2, meal--Belize Zoo, then a meal, then a "pictureque boat tour" on the Olde Belize River. cost $99pp.

Has anyone done either of these and does anyone know how they are different from each other?

Last year in Belize, I did Lamanai and New river safari, so I want to do something else this year. I am also considering the Lost World Canopy tour and Rappelling.

Thanks.

I know it's five years too late to help the OP, but hopefully this will help someone. Here's the details on the NCL Wildlife Adventure as of my experience on it last week.

We tendered from the ship to the port and waited around a little while for the boat to show up. The boat had no shade at all, although another boat we saw doing what appeared to be the same tour did have a roof. The boat held maybe 30 people in relative comfort and had a crew of 3 and was powered by a pair of 200 hp outboard motors so it moved pretty well. The Belizeans generally seemed to dig fast boats and the tour boat really hauled over to the mouth of the river.

At the mouth of the river we saw a few manatees, though you can barely see them as they only come up for a few seconds and only show their noses. Going up the river is not a completely jungle experience as there is a road beside it for a while and a number of buildings but there are major sections where you can see no human intrusions. We saw 4-5 crocodiles, a couple of monkeys, at least a dozen iguanas, some bats and a large number of birds such as herons, egrets and vultures. The vegetation and wildlife were fascinating and I really enjoyed the boat trip. They alternate between going really fast and going slowly to spot wildlife. There is no opportunity to go to the restrooms for two hours. They provided water.

Lunch at the Old Belize Tavern was wretched. You get a tiny bit of chicken stew, a salad and rice and beans. There was a roach in my food. I did not eat it. There is a bit of souvenir shopping, but not much and prices are just fair. My advice: take a snack or just wait and get the conch fritters at the Wet Lizard upon return.

Then 45 minutes on a 20-25 year old coach to the Belize zoo hauling along two lane roads passing anyone and everyone. Not much scenic along the way but you get a good sense of life in rural and small town Belize. If you are the curious type it's great; if not you will be bored.

The zoo was good; not super exciting but the animals are all native Belizean and for such a small country they really do have a lot of cool species, such as Tapirs, Jaguars, Pumas and Ocelots. Lots of exotic birds as well. It was hot and at times buggy and smelly there but overall not that uncomfortable. They advise against people with canes or walkers going there and that is a good idea as the loose gravel is problematic. It is a guided tour which maybe dragged a bit too long. Again they provided water.

Then it's another 40 minute drive back to the ship through Belize City, not much to see but again, if you are the curious type it's well worth seeing. The guide was well-informed and professional. Overall I am glad I went.

Archived