We love Seabourn so what other lines would we like?

T&C Fulham

Kevnzworld, I've just spotted you on our roll call, I thought the name was familiar! I think you may be taking a tour with Gil Serique too. So, hopefully we will meet up before the cruise is too far underway.

Well, we're about to do this, in reverse. We are about (next weekend) to embark on a 29 night Seabourn cruise, which we know we will enjoy.

We have booked an Oceania 14 night cruise in November, largely itinerary-driven, but also to try a new line. I'd be interested to know what you disliked about it so much?

We will be on the 3/31 transatlantic cruise on the Quest with you! We had booked the cruise staring in Manaus like you but canceled that leg because six weeks was a little too long....

Regarding my experience on Oceania, you can read my thread here...it's somewhat humorous.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2162014

Essentially I found the food to be too old school, and not particularly well executed. The food is out of a Gourmet cookbook circa 1975.

The lunch buffet on Seabourn is much better too..

Now I should say that I've only sailed on the Quest. My Oceania experience was on the Riviera.

Also, and there is no gentle way of saying this...if the passengers on this particular sailing are indicative of the Oceania customer at large, it isn't a match for us. We are not young ( I'm 58 ) , but this group was old...and not in the way I hope to age.

I had a different experience on Oceania re: passengers. However it was also negative. While they were "younger" than say SilverSea they were all (in their own minds at least) big fish in the little ponds that they came from. Something they'd constantly remind you of. Evil versions of the Beverly hillbillies. They also made it painfully obvious that bribery on that ship was at the level expected in Las Vegas.

While I don't mind 1975 haute cuisine - it was never executed correctly on the ship. In Jacques every visit was cold food served in a puddle of grease at totally random intervals.

The steaks in the steakhouse were nowhere near what I'd expect from a land based establishment. Further the prime rib was not only freezer burned but had been reduced to mush via freeze/thaw cycles.

The Italian restaurant was gimmicky and made me ponder if Chef Boyardee and Olive Garden were temples of authentic Italian cuisine.

Red Ginger - again lack of authenticity plagued this venue. When asked to make a dish spicier the kitchen responded with a 1/4 cup of chili oil:mad: It didn't really alter the heat level but the grease quotient went through the roof.

Waves Grill - I think it would've literally killed them to turn out food cooked to the requested doneness and as described on the menu.

The buffet? A zoo. People 'stealing' tables, cutting in line, coughing/sneezing on the food.

GDR - slow service, the main galley couldn't cook eggs to order. Jacques specialty chicken will be fully cooked on night then cooked again and served a second (or third) night.

They didn't seem to adhere to time limits for removing food that had been out too long.

Drink service outside of a bar - painfully slow. One night I had to chase down a server to close my tab (~45 minute wait).

We travelled on SilverSeas last March and never again. My travel agents said " they are trying to be Seabourn " they did not succeed in any way. We are back on Seabourn this Summer for our 1st Mediterranean cruise can't wait.

We are trying SeaDream in the Carribean next February as Seabourn won't be there so we will see how that pans out.

I had a different experience on Oceania re: passengers. However it was also negative. While they were "younger" than say SilverSea they were all (in their own minds at least) big fish in the little ponds that they came from. Something they'd constantly remind you of. Evil versions of the Beverly hillbillies. They also made it painfully obvious that bribery on that ship was at the level expected in Las Vegas.

While I don't mind 1975 haute cuisine - it was never executed correctly on the ship. In Jacques every visit was cold food served in a puddle of grease at totally random intervals.

The steaks in the steakhouse were nowhere near what I'd expect from a land based establishment. Further the prime rib was not only freezer burned but had been reduced to mush via freeze/thaw cycles.

The Italian restaurant was gimmicky and made me ponder if Chef Boyardee and Olive Garden were temples of authentic Italian cuisine.

Red Ginger - again lack of authenticity plagued this venue. When asked to make a dish spicier the kitchen responded with a 1/4 cup of chili oil:mad: It didn't really alter the heat level but the grease quotient went through the roof.

Waves Grill - I think it would've literally killed them to turn out food cooked to the requested doneness and as described on the menu.

The buffet? A zoo. People 'stealing' tables, cutting in line, coughing/sneezing on the food.

GDR - slow service, the main galley couldn't cook eggs to order. Jacques specialty chicken will be fully cooked on night then cooked again and served a second (or third) night.

They didn't seem to adhere to time limits for removing food that had been out too long.

Drink service outside of a bar - painfully slow. One night I had to chase down a server to close my tab (~45 minute wait).

Lol. Great post, and very accurate.....

We will be on the 3/31 transatlantic cruise on the Quest with you! We had booked the cruise staring in Manaus like you but canceled that leg because six weeks was a little too long....

Are you sailing on from Barcelona, then? We are sailing from Manaus to FLL and then Barcelona, and that is 29 nights. With an overnight in London and one in Manaus pre-cruise we will be away for 31 nights. Bliss!

Regarding your review, thank you for that. I very much hope that you were just particularly unlucky on your Oceania cruise as others have praised the food. However, just on this thread I am accumulating negative review :(

Oh well, it will beat sitting at home in the rain and cold, I'm sure.

Must go and do something more constructive towards the packing ...

Are you sailing on from Barcelona, then? We are sailing from Manaus to FLL and then Barcelona, and that is 29 nights. With an overnight in London and one in Manaus pre-cruise we will be away for 31 nights. Bliss!

Yes, Barcelona> Barcelona round trip

Regarding your review, thank you for that. I very much hope that you were just particularly unlucky on your Oceania cruise as others have praised the food. However, just on this thread I am accumulating negative review :(

Oh well, it will beat sitting at home in the rain and cold, I'm sure.

Must go and do something more constructive towards the packing ...

Perhaps Wripro could post his view on Oceania - IIRC he had a good cruise with them.

Well shut my mouth!

After Kevinzworld's and Emporer Norton's review it's gonna take a lot more explainin' than wripro's personal views to reverse that juggernaut of those "just kill me now" reviews of Oceania. But I am willing to give him and anyone else a chance.

BTW, I love that description of bribery Las Vegas style. The image is appalling.

Happy sailing!

We travelled on SilverSeas last March and never again. My travel agents said " they are trying to be Seabourn " they did not succeed in any way. We are back on Seabourn this Summer for our 1st Mediterranean cruise can't wait.

We are trying SeaDream in the Carribean next February as Seabourn won't be there so we will see how that pans out.

I'd also like to know what happened here. No cruise is ever perfect but a 'never again' for Silversea is fairly rare. We've found both Silversea and Seabourn are trying, not to be each other, but to be as good as they can be in an ever-competitive world. We've done more Seabourn recently, as we like their newer ships more than we like Silversea's newer ship, but generally wouldn't hesitate to return for the right itinerary at the right price.

I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I'll tell you briefly what I like about Oceania but know going in that my expectations on Oceania are lower than on Seabourn. I think their ships are beautiful but I would never sail in anything less than a penthouse. The penthouses on the new O ships are superb accommodations with an ingenious design for the walk in closet where you enter in the middle instead of at one end, giving you equal access to both sides. One wall is nothing but a shoe rack, just great. I find the food excellent in the specialty restaurants, mostly Jacques and Red Ginger. Also like Polo with Toscana my least favorite. And the wine pairing dinners at La Reserve are wonderful (thought there's a $95pp charge.) However I really do not like their main dining room. I find it resembles a catering hall and kept expecting the bar mitzvah boy to make a speech during dinner. Service is very good though not at Seabourn levels. Their itineraries are terrific and the reason I sail them when I cannot find what I want on SB. Bottom line is by the time I book a PH, pay for the daily beverage package and tips I am paying more than on SB. Still Oceania to me is a viable alternative. Once in a while!!!!

I'd also like to know what happened here. No cruise is ever perfect but a 'never again' for Silversea is fairly rare.

I don't think we will hear. Note the number of posts this contributor has made on Cruise Critic. A lonely One.

The penthouses on the new O ships are superb accommodations

How do these compare in price with SB? Sorry - you have said a bit more expensive. Hence my edit but my next question stands.

Do you find the passengers are the same sort of people who like SB rather than the larger vessels?

Tony

Edited by T&C Fulham

I'd also like to know what happened here. No cruise is ever perfect but a 'never again' for Silversea is fairly rare.

I don't think we will hear. Note the number of posts this contributor has made on Cruise Critic. A lonely One.

We were all new members of CC once, and had to make a first post. They did say that they have cruised Seabourn previously and are returning to it. Obviously they did not have a good experience on Silversea. I have seen the occasional review or post about Seabourn which has been entirely negative. That tells me that someone had an on board experience which did not match their expectation and that they did not enjoy. I do not disbelieve them or believe that they have any underhand motive in posting their impressions.

I hope they have many more happy times on Seabourn.

Thank you for you more uplifting spin on Oceania, Wripro! We will embark with a relaxed attitude and be prepared to enjoy a different experience. All will be fine, I'm sure.

I had issues with SilverSea. First we had a staff of angry pirates (IIRC there was an issue between management and staff as to whether they were being paid in USD or Euro). Then there was the South African chef who couldn't cook a pasta/rice/risotto dish to save his life. Then there were the ingredients. I didn't realize you could purchase foie gras that was 99.5% veins. Yuck. Passengers were of retirement home age and mobility for the most part. Beating them in trivia would garner us a throat slitting gesture from one local retired judge. They were the least outgoing passengers I've ever met (especially when it came to trivia). OTOH they did make sure their dress code was enforced.

The sad thing for me was that they had a few staff members that I thought would have been amazing on either Crystal or Seabourn.

Edited by Emperor Norton

T&C Fulham,

Prices for O PHs are about equivalent to SB's regular verandah suites, perhaps even more expensive. But as I said, it's the only way I'd sail with O side the regular cabins are far too small for me.

I find the fellow passengers on O to be much closer in tastes to SB than the mass market line. Many of them have switched to O from those other lines specifically because they were seeking a smaller ship experience.

I was surprised at the negative review of Oceania. We have sailed on many lines and had just recently finished a cruise on Crystal, which we loved, when we took a cruise on O Riviera. I found the balcony cabin quite roomy and the food was excellent. We also met some nice people from a number of countries. Our first cruise on Seabourn is coming soon and I know it will be lovely.

I was surprised at the negative review of Oceania.

That made me re-read the two we have had.

Both seem to be against the food. Yes, that is important. But I wonder whether the posters were being over-critical.

Maybe not - but I ask to keep the conversation flowing.

The quality of other passengers is important to us. Four gourmet dining areas are all well and good, but not if the cruise is spoilt by a lot of noisy kids and ill behaved adults.

Tony

O is billed as a foodie cruise line. The food outside of the wine spectator restaurant never lived up to the hype. Freezer burned prime rib? Filet reduced to mush via freeze/thaw cycles? Runny poached eggs that arrived 9 out of 10 times as hard boiled? Chicken that was cooked a previous evening fully recooked and served? I can go on... All 3 reviewers massively ding the GDR.

Sorry everyone wasnt at home for a few days and I didnt realise that my comment would cause disharmony!!!!

Never again - Yes this is how I feel about Silverseas, we have been on 3 Seabourn Cruises and they werent offering the itinerary we wanted so that was why we went on Silverseas. We dont think in anyway they matched up to Seabourn, we have been on the little ships and also the Soujourn and Silverseas just did not "do it for us".

This is all personal choice I will admit but I feel we are paying a premium price on these lines and I would expect a premium service.

There was no Management on the ship and the waiters, wine waiters, and all other staff basically shrugged their shoulders if you requested something. We were seated on a table one evening when one of our party orderd a "rare fillet steak" the 1st three offerings that came from the Galley were all well done, never once did the Maitre D come along and apologise. I dont drink Chilean wine as it gives me a headache but to get the wine watier to understand that I wanted another red that wasnt Chilean was a nightmare.

The staff simply did not care. Our suite had a very distinct musty/ foul water smell and towards the end of the journey the carpet was so wet and we reported it several times and I put a towel down over it as I hated walking barefoot into the bathroom through this.

So I simply repeat for us it is "Never again"

The food on Oceania is very good. Do not let that be the reason you decide against it. As i have said, it's not Seabourn but if there's a terrific itinerary it's q good alternative.

+1

Food is great

I am sure some meals are not quite up to certain expectations but they have always met ours:o

So I simply repeat for us it is "Never again"

Thanks for the reply. I see what is behind your reluctance to use Silverseas again.

I wonder why you were so unlucky when SS does seem to get the thumbs up normally?

Tony