Best port(s) without having to take an excursion?

pseudoware

Kind of broad, but in your experience, what are some of the 2 or 3 best ports you've visited where there's a lot to do and offers a great experience within the immediate port area or within a very short walking distance?

And no, having my pic taken at the gangway w/someone dressed in a traditional, local costume, getting swarmed by and saying "no" to a bunch of local, independent tour operators, and then shopping for handmade trinkets, cheap t-shirts w/iron-on decals, over-priced booze, etc. under the shadows of humungous shipping containers and cargo ships is not what I consider a great experience.[/QUOT

Kings wharf Bermuda :)

Edited by janetz

Quebec City, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Portland

Victoria, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka

Curacao

Panama Canal partial(since most people get off to take excursions, stay on the ship)

Private Islands

Puerto Rico, St. Maartin (beach)

Tallin

Many Norway ports

Venice, Dubrovnik, Villefrance

We loved the Baltic Cruise we were on. Most of the city centers were a short shuttle ride from the port. When we were there the shuttles were free.

There are many great ports that are a short shuttle ride to the city center. Many of the shuttles are free. You are missing many ports because of this exclusion.

Thanks Slidergirl. I think my use of "excursion" is confusing. I really meant ports where you don't need to take a bus, taxi, etc, ship-affiliated or not, to find worthwhile, interesting and fun attractions or activities.

I've been to Civitavecchia, for example. Not a place I'd think would qualify, IMO. Anyway, I didn't expect a list of every port on the planet, just a couple that others thought were their favorites or would best qualify. Thx for the replies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Knowing you are focusing on Europe...Tallin, Genoa, Valleta, Kotor and any non-tender Greek Isle. Add some short shuttles, tenders, or people mover in Venice...the list expands... Also varies by which port a ship is using in cities with two ports. A walking path from one port in Copenhagen is possible, but from the other port transportation is needed. The list also would expand for cruises on non mass market smaller ships.

I tend to measure ways to do things DIY by difficulty factor. Higher level of difficulty would be Civitecchia, but the people mover and vaporettos in Venice, tenders and short train rides in the French Riviera, shuttles to Dubrovnik or Helsinki are relatively easy.

Edited by buggins0402

Knowing you are focusing on Europe...Tallin, Genoa, Valleta, Kotor and any non-tender Greek Isle. Add some short shuttles, tenders, or people mover in Venice...the list expands... Also varies by which port a ship is using in cities with two ports. A walking path from one port in Copenhagen is possible, but from the other port transportation is needed. The list also would expand for cruises on non mass market smaller ships.

I tend to measure ways to do things DIY by difficulty factor. Higher level of difficulty would be Civitecchia, but the people mover and vaporettos in Venice, tenders and short train rides in the French Riviera, shuttles to Dubrovnik or Helsinki are relatively easy.

Thank you. Or next cruise goes to these places. A shuttle in Dubrovnik was mentioned. Any other input would be great.

My 75 y/o MIL will be w/us. She's pretty mobile, but we won't expect her to walk 3 miles to get somewhere, which my wife & I alone wouldn't hesitate to do.

Dubrovnik

Kusadasi

Santorini

Katakolon

Venice

Edited by pseudoware