Carnival Liberty vs Royal Carribbean Adventures of the Sea

JandR1LuV

I am looking from some assistance/advice. So I am a newbie when it comes to cruising. My very first cruise was last year May 2014 on the Carnival Spelndor and we LOVED IT!!! I had zero complaints. Now we have been invited by family to join them on an upcoming cruise sailing on Royal Carribeans Adventure of the seas. I am torn because I have seen similar sailings offered by Carnival for a better price and I am a sucker for a great deal. Please help!! Is it worth it or should I stick to Carnival. As always thanks in advance.

Some people like to try a couple different cruise lines until they find the one they like best. I tried Royal Caribbean first....and then Carnival. And now after 17 cruises with Carnival I won't cruise with anyone but Carnival.

Everyone has their preferences but if you liked the Splendor and the prices are cheaper for the Liberty then I would go with that

My first ever cruise was on the carnival Destiny out of San Juan in 2004. I loved it. Then in 2005, my travel agent convinced me to try Royal Caribbean because it was so "superior" to Carnival. So I took Adventurer of the Seas, also out of San Juan. I could afford a balcony on Carnival but not on RC so I chose a cabin that overlooked the atrium on RC---basically an inside room with a big inside window seat. That inside room still cost more than a Carnival balcony. In the end, I felt the only thing slightly better on RC was the food but it was not worth the extra cost to me. And I did not like that inside room on RC at all. I've recently sailed Carnival with an ocean view room and I would even take that over the RC inside window for sure.

I'm booked on the Liberty next month. Out of curiosity, I poked around on RC's website a few days ago to price a similar cruise with them and it was going to be significantly higher.

I realize that my experience is from 10 years ago, but I wanted to give you my background before giving my advice.

If you can afford the higher price and you don't mind spending extra money to sail with your friends, then go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed with RC. But don't expect to be over the top wowed by RC. You already experienced that wow factor from being a first-time cruiser and I doubt that RC will be so much better that it blows Carnival away.

I think your first cruise sets a benchmark. I loved Carnival and didn't think RC's bells and whistles were worth the extra price but if I had sailed RC first, maybe I would have felt that carnival was a downgrade.

Sorry for the long post. Would love to know what you decide.

Whether the upcharge to sail on Royal is worth it, it's completely up to the individual. Some people are easier to please and are completely happy with what Carnival delivers and can't even tell why Royal costs more. Others are more discerning and do care about the differences enough to pay more for a Royal cruise.

Personally, I consider the difference on Royal worth the upcharge, and money VERY well spent. But with that said, this is a Southern itinerary which is VERY port intensive which limits the amount of time that you'll have to enjoy what the ship has to offer. In addition, I consider the Carnival Liberty to be Carnival's best ship, so based on those two things, this is one time when I would book either cruise.

Edited by Tapi

I have been on the Adventure twice, in 2014 and in 2006. It is a great ship much better than anything Carnival has. The Atrium is a fantastic place to hang out and watch and meet people and have a drink or something to eat. The parades they have are fantastic and are great for kids. I would definitely spend the extra if I had it, but just like you I always look for the best price and weigh which is the best bang for the buck.

I, too, like the better deal. It is why I have told my kids that we will likely never be on a Disney cruise because 1) they don't allow minors in their own rooms (my husband does not cruise) and we like to get adjoining balconies or 2 rooms for more space and 2) we can go on 2 or 3 cruises/vacations for the price of 1 Disney cruise.

I have sailed on NCL and we loved it, I also thought we got a pretty good deal for what we got. I have not been on RCI, so I can't compare. However, all that being said, in your case, I might go on the RCI cruise because of the friends, that would be what makes it worth it and not worry that it was less expensive on CCL (for this one instance). It would be worth it to me to have the experience of going with people I liked to pay more $$

Sometimes, the price difference isn't as much as it appears. I am sailing Liberty in July because I needed a Sunday departure, but would have preferred to be on Adventure. RCCL sometimes offers OBC and often TA's will offer OBC on RCCL when they technically are not supposed to for Carnival which narrows the price difference.

Also, I think that RCCL has a better loyalty program.

Edited by cruisintwinsmom

I think that I would go on Adventure of the Seas as sailing with friends makes the cruise that much nicer. I really prefer Royal Caribbean as I feel the ships are far more beautiful and I like the options that are available.

I haven't sailed Adventure, but have her sister ships and have sailed Carnival Liberty which so far has been my favorite Carnival ship. Why not give Royal a chance? You might find that you like it more than Carnival. I think trying different lines is something everyone should do so that the cruiser gets to know which line really is for him/her.

I think that I would go on Adventure of the Seas as sailing with friends makes the cruise that much nicer. I really prefer Royal Caribbean as I feel the ships are far more beautiful and I like the options that are available.

I haven't sailed Adventure, but have her sister ships and have sailed Carnival Liberty which so far has been my favorite Carnival ship. Why not give Royal a chance? You might find that you like it more than Carnival. I think trying different lines is something everyone should do so that the cruiser gets to know which line really is for him/her.

This is very true. Thanks for that. Also I was lucky enough to cruise out of NY where I am from. I also have to add the expense of flying to PR, so I have a lot of other factors to consider. Thanks for your helpful points

I am looking from some assistance/advice. So I am a newbie when it comes to cruising. My very first cruise was last year May 2014 on the Carnival Spelndor and we LOVED IT!!! I had zero complaints. Now we have been invited by family to join them on an upcoming cruise sailing on Royal Carribeans Adventure of the seas. I am torn because I have seen similar sailings offered by Carnival for a better price and I am a sucker for a great deal. Please help!! Is it worth it or should I stick to Carnival. As always thanks in advance.

Depending on when your cruise on AOS is scheduled, I maybe able to give you first hand information on both as I sail Liberty in a few weeks and I sailed AOS a few years back.

Generally speaking there are some differences between the two lines, personally I do not prefer one over the other even though I have sailed Carnival more but that is because (according to my wife :p) I am a bit frugal.:D and it costs a bit more to sail RCL.

Royal has more of a WOW factor to me because of the décor and the Royal Promenade etc, this give them a more elegant look/feel.

This however does not effect my cruising experience. I am happy on any cruise ship and NCL is next on our Radar.