Anyone recently off AOS

GailP

I am curious about your boarding experience. All other cruises we have arrived at the ship early and and been on the ship by noon, or maybe a little later. We will be in San Juan a day early and can get to the ship early but I am afraid there will just be a lot of waiting in the heat. We like to get on early to get pictures before the ship is too full and to check seating in dining room and make reservations at Portofino. What do you suggest? Should be stay at our hotel and arrive later? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Gail

Hi Gail

We boarded on August 21st on AOS. The ship had just done the Barbados itinerary and we were about to go on the Aruba itinerary. When we arrived at 1:15 they had not started boarding because the Barbados itinerary has to clear customs and immigration in San Juan. The line started to move at 1:30 and we were on by 2:00, but it was hot standing outside, although we were under shade and most passengers were.

If you are getting on AOS after it has returned from the Aruba itinerary, that cruise clears customs and immigration in St Thomas, so when it gets to San Juan all the passengers are off by 11:00. ... in which case boarding is probably earlier.

My advice would be to get late check-out at your hotel and not hurry to the port. We have always been at the port by 11:30 in the past, but for this AOS cruise I would be more inclined to believe the 2:00 boarding time.

Ok...not exactly recent BUT last Oct we did Aruba so the ship was taking a while to clear customs....however, we got to the pier at about 11:15-11:30 give or take...no line outside, about 10-15 minutes inside...we sat in chairs, were on board, droppping carryons (cabin was done but not officially open) and were seated in windjammer eating BY 1PM.

Then we did what you said...took a billion pix before all the pax got on!!

HTH

We will be sailing on the AOS on October 30th, the previous route appears to be the Bermuda one ... for those who have been on this type of itinerary, is it not possible to be able to get on the ship around 12-12:30 or so ... or in other words, is the Bermuda sailing of the AOS always late clearing customs??

We would like to be able to board the ship as soon as possible, since we will be in San Juan the day before, I really don't want to hang around in town for most of the afternoon (we are all very anxious to get on the ship and start our holiday). Although, standing in scortching heat for hours is no way to start a vacation.

Do we have a chance, or are in for a long, long wait if we head over to the port around noon or so? :confused:

Thank you!

Archived