Concierge. What Concierge?

tallyho8

As we were departing from our last cruise one of my friends asked me how much I tipped the concierge. I said "concierge, what concierge?

I have been platinum for several cruises and usually stay in balcony cabins and didn't even realize that concierge service was one of the benefits of being platinum.

That said, no one informed me that concierge services were available to me or how to get in touch with a concierge if I wanted to. I don't even know what I would ask one to do for me because I am in the habit of doing things myself to make sure they are done right.

No concierge has ever introduced themselves to me or done anything for me so I was wondering if I was expected to tip someone that I never even heard of? And if I am supposed to tip them, how do I find out who they are to tip them?

I realize that people who stay in suites have butlers and concierges who perform many services for them that you can't get in a balcony cabin but surely these people must know that they have a concierge somehow and I certainly have never known that.

Edited by tallyho8

I can't imagine being Platinum for an extended period of time and not ever reading the benefit list for that level!

Of course Platinum has always been allowed to use the Concierge. If you never utilized them or took advantage of that perk, you shouldn't pay anything.

I guess the bigger question would be how to contact the concierge and in what ways have nonsuite passengers utilized them?

I can make a restaurant reservation myself, so what other things has anyone asked for?

I guess the bigger question would be how to contact the concierge and in what ways have nonsuite passengers utilized them?

I can make a restaurant reservation myself, so what other things has anyone asked for?

I used them to get into Le Bistro, after the regular reservation line told me they were booked up for the night. One call, and they got us in.

Edited by SissasMomE

I have been platinum for several cruises and usually stay in balcony cabins and didn't even realize that concierge service was one of the benefits of being platinum.

That said, no one informed me that concierge services were available to me or how to get in touch with a concierge if I wanted to. I don't even know what I would ask one to do for me because I am in the habit of doing things myself to make sure they are done right.

Don't worry, you have done nothing wrong. We've been Platinums since Feb 2013 and unless we've been in a suite, we've never gotten concierge's contact info automatically nor has the letter in Latitudes welcome pack mentioned anything about that perk.

While there are members here that have close relations to many concierges across the fleet and are able to communicate with them no matter what, I personally feel that NCL makes using that perk difficult on purpose - even if I have asked for the contact information, I haven't felt welcome to do so by the staff.

A couple of years ago, my dh and I sailed in a Family Suite...had a room steward, butler and (supposedly) a concierge person....we NEVER met the concierge, she never introduced herself....even though we saw her almost every morning outside of Cagney's where we had breakfast....

Our room steward and butler were fantastic...they got good tips...nothing for concierge....

2 weeks after this cruise, I cruised the same ship, (almost) the same cabin with 3 friends....butler AND steward service were pretty bad* (yes, we did say something) and again, did not meet the concierge....

*when we arrived to our cabin 1st day, it was very dirty....right down to the sand all over the furniture and blood stain on one of the sheets....(was corrected after a few hours) We saw the butler on the first day only....

So....we don't book suites with Norwegian....too expensive...cabins may be nice, but you're paying for services that are not really necessary for the average traveler...(again, just my opinion)

I have been platinum for ages. Unless we get VIP for some reason we hardly have seen him or her sometimes. It seems to be a maybe situation, depending on how busy the ship is and how busy the suite situation is. On a few cruises we have simply had a letter in our welcoming package with his/her name. It really isn't a big deal. The one thing we use the conciegne for is restaurants if we are told they are sold out. Yes, it is nice to have early tender priv. plus a few other things they do, but certainly doesn't make the difference on the success of our cruise. Look at it this way: you saved some money, you didn't have to tip a make believe person.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I was on the same cruise as tallyho8 in a Studio cabin. I saw the Concierge Adian almost everyday. All of his information was a letter and all the invitations I received for various events. I did not use his services but have used them in the past. I did not use the services of the Studio Host either, bu they were available.

We have been Platinum for a few years. We have tried to use the concierge and have been told by them that a restaurant is filled. We have also used them to reserve the MDR when we had a larger group and that particular concierge seemed very put out by our request. We really don't use them anymore.

A couple of years ago, my dh and I sailed in a Family Suite...had a room steward, butler and (supposedly) a concierge person....we NEVER met the concierge, she never introduced herself....even though we saw her almost every morning outside of Cagney's where we had breakfast....

Our room steward and butler were fantastic...they got good tips...nothing for concierge....

2 weeks after this cruise, I cruised the same ship, (almost) the same cabin with 3 friends....butler AND steward service were pretty bad* (yes, we did say something) and again, did not meet the concierge....

*when we arrived to our cabin 1st day, it was very dirty....right down to the sand all over the furniture and blood stain on one of the sheets....(was corrected after a few hours) We saw the butler on the first day only....

So....we don't book suites with Norwegian....too expensive...cabins may be nice, but you're paying for services that are not really necessary for the average traveler...(again, just my opinion)

Sorry you had a bad experience. In Dec. we were on Jewel in a Family Suite with 2 bed/2 baths. Our room steward and butler were excellent.

Edited by Susie51

We have been Platinum for a few years. We have tried to use the concierge and have been told by them that a restaurant is filled. We have also used them to reserve the MDR when we had a larger group and that particular concierge seemed very put out by our request. We really don't use them anymore.

Even though concierge service is a platinum perk, most concierge's don't want to have anything to do with you unless you are a VIP (suite guest or otherwise designated). I suspect it's because they don't have time for you and they won't have many chances to have face to face contact with you thereby little chance of receiving a tip.

Sometimes it's in the latitudes letter , sometimes it's not.

I haven't received the concierge phone number in the Platinum packet since February 2012.

Even then it wasn't the number to their handheld, but a number to a desk somewhere. ;)

NCL really needs to remove this from the list of Platinum Perks as they don't want you to take advantage of it.

(In all fairness, there are so many Platinum cruisers on each ship now, that if they all had concierge access, the poor concierge would be pulled in a million directions.)

Just curious about the perks...

I've never cruised before, but my then-wife and I will be in haven suite... 7 night. So, being in Haven then doubles and is 14 points... times by 2 people=28.. Or, does this program not work like that????

Thanks!

I've never cruised before, but my then-wife and I will be in haven suite... 7 night. So, being in Haven then doubles and is 14 points... times by 2 people=28.. Or, does this program not work like that????

Thanks!

You each get the points, so it is 14 each. If you booked more than 9 months out then you get an additional 7 each.

Latitudes points are personal, you'll each get 14 points after the cruise is completed making you both Bronze level.

More info about Latitudes levels and perks associated with each: http://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards/rewards-points-and-benefits

Since you are sailing in a suite, you will get other suite related perks regardless of your Latitudes level.

Suite perks are listed here (pay attention to footnotes): http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/cruise-suites-and-penthouses

It depends on what you paid for the suite. You get 1 point for each night of the cruise, another point per night if you book at least 9 months in advance, another point per night if you booked under a latitudes offer and another point per night for a suite. You only get the points for booking a suite if you paid full price for the suite.

We sailed in a suite on our last cruise, and with the exception of the concierge simpering at us whenever we encountered him, we asked him for nothing, he did nothing, and we tipped... yep. Nothing.

IMHO, you aren't missing out on anything, and NCL just lists it to bulk up the list of platinum perks.

Just when I though I was up on stuff. We have been Plat for a bit and did not know about this option. Even when in a Suite we rarely used the Concierge. We just call the restaurant and make the reservation, or sometimes just show up and get a table.

Hmmmmm