Questions about lovely San Juan, PR

123Funcruiser456

Hoping some of you "experienced PR" can answer acouple ? we have:

1. We are thinking about staying at El Convento, what are the beaches they are affiliated with & how to get there seeing hotel is not on beach?

2. For Barcardi: If ferry costs appx. $3 round trip, does the $12 cost INCLUDE cab ride & entrance to Bacardi or would costs be separate for cab & entrance?

3. Our great grandmother was born in Mayaquez, would love to see it (at west side of PR), is there perhaps a tour or tour guide to assist w/this, any ideas and of course, the cost????

Thank you so much for any help here. We were in PR a long time ago for a "cruise visit", but want to spend more time there if we can prior to next cruise!

Francis :)

1. We are thinking about staying at El Convento, what are the beaches they are affiliated with & how to get there seeing hotel is not on beach?

2. For Barcardi: If ferry costs appx. $3 round trip, does the $12 cost INCLUDE cab ride & entrance to Bacardi or would costs be separate for cab & entrance?

3. Our great grandmother was born in Mayaquez, would love to see it (at west side of PR), is there perhaps a tour or tour guide to assist w/this, any ideas and of course, the cost????

Thank you so much for any help here. We were in PR a long time ago for a "cruise visit", but want to spend more time there if we can prior to next cruise!

Thank you so much, Francis :)

Francis :)

I can only answer the first question, sort of.

I believe El Convento is in the middle of the Old City. Whether there is a beach nearby depends on what you mean by "beach".

If you mean "sand and water", almost the whole north side of Isla San Juan east of Fort San Cristobal is a beach. It's easily accessible (if you can go down steps) from the monument to San Juan Battista east of the fort along the north coast road. From there on it's all sand and water until (a few weeks ago) a landslide blocked the way. That's a half-mile or so.

But if by beach you mean "a place where you can get drunk and gain weight", you will have to go further afield. The sand and water near the Old City does not have any amenities - food, drink, bathrooms, nothing.

East of this deserted stretch, and I think not connected to it, is Balneario Escambron, which should have some facilities. It is on the eastern edge of Isla San Juan but some distance from the Old City.

East of Isla San Juan are Condado and Isla Verde with more traditional beaches full of pullulating mobs of flush tourists in the final stages of despair.

Spending extra time in Puerto Rico is an excellent idea. Millions of things to do in San Juan and further afield.

I don't remember what the cost for the ferry is, put once off the ferry there are taxi drivers in the parking garage next to the ferry pier. The taxi's are large vans and they will fill it before leaving. The Bacardi tour is free, and you get two drink vouchers.

Actually, the tour is no longer free. The basic tour is now $12 and the enhanced tour is $23. When the tour was free, we were shown a movie and then brought into the gift shop. Unfortunately we didn't get to visit the actual factory.

We've stayed at El Convento a few times, and never knew about a beach- they never mentioned one at all. I suspect the recommendations before me are good.

As for Mayaguez- drive there on your own. It's road all the way- most of it freeway, the rest divided highway. Been there a couple of times, as my wife went to school there, but never really visited the city.

I would hope it's much like Ponce- which has an actual city in the middle. And is doing it's best to attract some tourists. But it's not that much- especailly relative to San Juan.

Still- I'd just drive over there, see if you can find the family home, take some pictures, and look around. Other than doing that, there is a lot to check out on Puerto Rico's west coast. If you are into surfing- there are some great beaches out there- worth a day trip just to surf.