Norwegian dawn

Thecat3902

The layout of the ship is horrible IMO. The food was horrible....even hubby said it was horrible and very salty. The service we got in the dining room was horrible.....our server and the matre'd never got my basic salad right (I am veggie) and would tell me they wanted it to be right. I would end up with whatever for dinner as they didn't listen. That doesn't sound like much of a problem but when you have limitations of what to eat for 7 days it is aggravating especially since I email NCL ahead of time about dietary issues. I am told to talk to them once onboard. I am hoping since it is 3 1/2 years later that we have a better experience.

I agree with your assessment of the Dawn's layout. We usually only eat in the upgrade restaurants and don't have dietary issues so our food experience was much different. I like the way NCL handles dining.

I think you misunderstood. When I said Dawn was my last NCL cruise, it means that was my most recent NCL cruise, not that it was my last ever.

I had Getaway booked this past January but had to cancel. My friends who still went loved it and from what I heard of their cruise, I likely would have loved it also. I actually like the way NCL is going. I just don't like their older ships. Not only Dawn...I know I'll never book Sky again also.

Oh, yes I misunderstood. I would like to try one of the new ships too some day.

I had heard some rumors about that! Like the other poster, I'd be thrilled if my rooms view has been improved! I'm in 12002 on my next cruise and based on some YouTube videos (from over a year ago) it appeared there were some fogged windows. Fingers crossed! [emoji4]

I'll report back after our cruise on 3/22...we are in 12502. I've got my fingers crossed as well.

If everything was so "horrible" why would you book it again??

Because we had a future cruise credit expiring this year. Also we haven't been able to go on vacation because of hubby's place of work going bankrupt, his dad's heart attack, hubby having cancer and chemo treatments, and now not having vacation time at a new job. We want to get away after a rough few years and this does not require extra days for air travel. He is using personal days and some sick time. Next year we are hopefully taking a longer cruise when he has vacation time. :).

Sorry you had so many problems: I am willing to bet it had to do with new personel: this does happen from time to time. We had a problem on the Spirit many years ago when it had just come out of dry dock. Our experience though was a little different. We went to the reception desk, asked to speak with the hotel director and in no time he and I were sitting down, drinking a cup of coffee and I told him our concerns. Theough there wasn't much they could do, at least he made me feel better and ageed my compalints were legit. I know how frustrationg this must have been for you. When we are loyal to a company we would like to think they care enough to respond to our complaints.

We were on the Dawn last Spring. Altough it wasn't our favorite ship we had no service problems. We did have a huge problem with the spa and we didn't care for the layout of the ship, nor the cabin bathrooms. I am not sure we would cruise her again either, but I know many who think the Dawn is the best ship at sea. Amazing how differntly some of us think.

I think people have to know, the ship isn't glitzy like newer ships and is going to show wear and tear no matter how hard NCL tries to keep everything in tip top condition.

The ship is not all that bad, just one I personally, would not go on again. For me the spa was my salvation since no one was ever in it when we were there. It was the best way to de-stress from all the stress other areas were causing. I was happy not to be at work and to be away from freezing temps but was disappointed in how this was not the NCL I was used to.

I hope that made sense...

I am working on the review now.

The layout of the ship is horrible IMO. The food was horrible....even hubby said it was horrible and very salty. The service we got in the dining room was horrible.....our server and the matre'd never got my basic salad right (I am veggie) and would tell me they wanted it to be right. I would end up with whatever for dinner as they didn't listen. That doesn't sound like much of a problem but when you have limitations of what to eat for 7 days it is aggravating especially since I email NCL ahead of time about dietary issues. I am told to talk to them once onboard. I am hoping since it is 3 1/2 years later that we have a better experience.

Sorry you has all those bad experiences with the food. You need to talk directly to the Maitre'D about your dietary restrictions. He will assign a manager to discuss your meals on a daily basis.

Because we had a future cruise credit expiring this year. Also we haven't been able to go on vacation because of hubby's place of work going bankrupt, his dad's heart attack, hubby having cancer and chemo treatments, and now not having vacation time at a new job. We want to get away after a rough few years and this does not require extra days for air travel. He is using personal days and some sick time. Next year we are hopefully taking a longer cruise when he has vacation time. :).

Well it sounds like you are in need of a fantastic vacation! Nothing beats sailing from home. I hope you guys have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...

We live in Boston, so of course we love the convenience of going to a cruise that starts 30 minutes from our front door. The Dawn is great for us, a retired couple. Friendly hard working staff, plenty of good food and specialty restaurants, and people enjoying themselves. There may be fancier larger ships, but the Dawn is just big enough to feel comfortable and kind. Plenty of fun:) for us. (Kids looked very happy, nice kids buffet).

Just reading thru this thread as I will be on Dawn in January. We've only sailed NCL one other time on POA in 2009. I have to say, was not thrilled with the dining experience back then, but, everything else was just fine. This time DH said we could splurge on a suite so we are in #9006. I've been searching for recent pictures or videos if this Cabin. I've seen some from other owners suites but not this one. Please share if you have any pics or video of this cabin! :D Thanks

That would be wonderful! Have a great time!

I created a new thread with pics and a video walk through of 12502. There were still some fogged windows but it wasn't too bad. Definitely not enough to put any kind of damper on our cruise!