Norwegian dawn

Thecat3902

We sailed on the Dawn Feb. 8, 2015, and while we found the ship okay our suite certainly was not. The room would have been pleasant except for the fact that the view from three of the four windows was completely ruined the entire trip by the moisture trapped between the panes of glass. We complained and initially were offered a 15% discount on a future cruise. Thanks for the offer - not interested. We were then offered an OBC which was less than the difference between a balcony and this suite. We were told that this had been an ongoing problem but could not be fixed until the ship is dry docked in 2016.

As for entertainment, nothing of interest to us. Same for onboard games, etc. Enjoyed some of the public areas and loved the Chefs Table.

We took the trip to relax and enjoy the view. Best laid plans.....

The Dawn will be in dry dock May 2015. I hope they fix the windows.

Is the glass issue only in the SJ or in the balcony versions too (SD)? We are in 12526 in a year (before Dry Dock) and am curious if anyone knows this specific room? If its a glass seal issue, it takes a little effort but surly they could do some drying with desiccant, etc in a pinch. At least on the SD we can just open the door - which it will be most of the time...

On the Star and Dawn the fogged windows issue is not restricted to just one room type category. See here for some additional discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1847110

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127333

Curious if anyone has knowledge on the SD's about how much maneuvering space exists with the Murphy bed down? Specifically access to the balcony. I usually am up at all hours going out on the balcony (used to be for a cigar) and don't want to climb over my kids. Also how about the Murphy bed and the sleeper sofa at the same time?

If nobody answers, We will be in an SJ in may and I will answer the question, as we will have both beds in use. Can't speak for access to balcony, but maneuverability questions will be same I assume.

If nobody answers, We will be in an SJ in may and I will answer the question, as we will have both beds in use. Can't speak for access to balcony, but maneuverability questions will be same I assume.

Comparisons Deck 12 forward suites :

With the SJ (Family) suite sleeping for 4-5-6 will be easily done -

The Main King Size Bed - The convertible sleeper sofa - and the murphy type bed (or other roll-a-way bed).

Reference:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1847110

Go to Post #61 move slider at bottom for a wide angle cabin view - Excellent

The SD (Penthouse) suite with balcony has room for the Main King Size Bed

and the convertible sleeper sofa - the balcony takes up the space where a

murphy bed would go so sleeping for 4 is the best to be expected !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Curious if anyone has knowledge on the SD's about how much maneuvering space exists with the Murphy bed down? Specifically access to the balcony. I usually am up at all hours going out on the balcony (used to be for a cigar) and don't want to climb over my kids. Also how about the Murphy bed and the sleeper sofa at the same time?

We are sailing the Dawn in November and I had the same question as we are staying in an SD suite with 6 of us. I can't remember which trip report I saw it on on here (maybe someone can point us in the right direction) But there was a picture with all the beds open and there was still plenty of room to walk inbetween the murphy bed and the couch pullout, to get to the balcony. I was actually shocked about how much room there really is in that room!

Definitly won't be having to climb over whomever is sleeping.

When all the beds are open they move the table and chairs to in front of where the Lavazza machine is.

I hope that helps. In the mean time I'll see if I can find the report I'm talking about.

I just got off the Dawn this morning. Of ally cruises this was my least favorite. The seem to be short staffed and we were told last night that the ship has a lot of brand new to NCL personnel. We had several issues while onboard and contacted the hotel director as we were told and I never heard from her. I would never sail the dawn again.

There is plenty of space to maneuver with the murphy bed down; they move the table/chairs out of the way so there is a lot of space available at the end of the murphy bed. We never had any trouble accessing the balcony.

I just got off the Dawn this morning. Of ally cruises this was my least favorite. The seem to be short staffed and we were told last night that the ship has a lot of brand new to NCL personnel. We had several issues while onboard and contacted the hotel director as we were told and I never heard from her. I would never sail the dawn again.

I'm on the Dawn in 2 weeks for the first time

I've read great reviews n bad reviews but always go on my cruise with positive attitudes

Sometimes I read people's negative reviews and I've been on the same cruise and Shake my head wondering were we on the same ship lol

Of course I know things happen and everyone has diff likes n dislikes but knock on wood with the exception of a couple tiny inconveniences we've had awesome cruises now on every single line NCL. PRINCESS N CARNIVAL that we've sailed on

One thing that helps is a great saying my dad use to tell me

Life's to short son, Don't sweat the small stuff :)

No, the removal of the Spinnaker Lounge was not a good thing, but being in one of those suites was. I loved cabin 12502, and those fantastic views.

All throughout my Dawn cruise, I complained about the current Spinnaker and how crowded it gets. The venue is awful. It wasn't until after the cruise I learned about Spinnaker moving. I even remember seeing those windows up forward and going to look for a lounge there, only to find suites.

I'm sure those suites are fabulous, but they only benefit a few. I think moving Spinnaker was a terrible decision.

We are sailing on the Dawn this May. We sailed on her in 2011 and we we not impressed. Only reason we are sailing on her again is because it is from a local port and cuts out having to fly to port. Hubby has limited time he can take off from work and we haven't been on a vacation since the last Dawn cruise. Our fingers are crossed that the May cruise is better. From what I have read I doubt it :(

I'm sorry. I had the wrong year. It is 2016 :(

Darn it. For a brief second I was hoping we'd be sailing AFTER dry dock. Oh well. I would have loved to have O'Sheehan's on there, but either way, I love the ship and won't be disappointed to see her again! A cruise is what you make it! It's all about the attitude! [emoji4]

We are sailing on the Dawn this May. We sailed on her in 2011 and we we not impressed. Only reason we are sailing on her again is because it is from a local port and cuts out having to fly to port. Hubby has limited time he can take off from work and we haven't been on a vacation since the last Dawn cruise. Our fingers are crossed that the May cruise is better. From what I have read I doubt it :(

What issues did you have in 2011?

Sorry you had so many problems: I am willing to bet it had to do with new personel: this does happen from time to time. We had a problem on the Spirit many years ago when it had just come out of dry dock. Our experience though was a little different. We went to the reception desk, asked to speak with the hotel director and in no time he and I were sitting down, drinking a cup of coffee and I told him our concerns. Theough there wasn't much they could do, at least he made me feel better and ageed my compalints were legit. I know how frustrationg this must have been for you. When we are loyal to a company we would like to think they care enough to respond to our complaints.

We were on the Dawn last Spring. Altough it wasn't our favorite ship we had no service problems. We did have a huge problem with the spa and we didn't care for the layout of the ship, nor the cabin bathrooms. I am not sure we would cruise her again either, but I know many who think the Dawn is the best ship at sea. Amazing how differntly some of us think.

I think people have to know, the ship isn't glitzy like newer ships and is going to show wear and tear no matter how hard NCL tries to keep everything in tip top condition.

Aquahound; some are not happy with what they did when adding more suites, but in your case, some of your opinion could be slanted because of your love for other lines, more than NCL.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Sorry you had so many problems: I am willing to bet it had to do with new personel: this does happen from time to time. We had a problem on the Spirit many years ago when it had just come out of dry dock. Our experience though was a little different. We went to the reception desk, asked to speak with the hotel director and in no time he and I were sitting down, drinking a cup of coffee and I told him our concerns. Theough there wasn't much they could do, at least he made me feel better and ageed my compalints were legit. I know how frustrationg this must have been for you. When we are loyal to a company we would like to think they care enough to respond to our complaints.

We were on the Dawn last Spring. Altough it wasn't our favorite ship we had no service problems. We did have a huge problem with the spa and we didn't care for the layout of the ship, nor the cabin bathrooms. I am not sure we would cruise her again either, but I know many who think the Dawn is the best ship at sea. Amazing how differntly some of us think.

I think people have to know, the ship isn't glitzy like newer ships and is going to show wear and tear no matter how hard NCL tries to keep everything in tip top condition.

Aquahound; some are not happy with what they did when adding more suites, but in your case, some of your opinion could be slanted because of your love for other lines, more than NCL.

What was it about Dawns spa that you had a problem with? We are considering doing spa passes for the first time on our Dawn cruise in August...

Sorry, I can't agree with that. I try to love every line I sail. It would be foolish to spend the money and not try to love it, right? :confused: So far, I do love 4 out of the 5 lines I've sailed. Unfortunately for my view of NCL, Dawn was my last NCL cruise and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Darn it. For a brief second I was hoping we'd be sailing AFTER dry dock. Oh well. I would have loved to have O'Sheehan's on there, but either way, I love the ship and won't be disappointed to see her again! A cruise is what you make it! It's all about the attitude! [emoji4]

I was hoping we'd be sailing after dry dock too. I was hoping they would fix those windows. The cruise will be a blast anyways!! It will be my first time in a suite and I can't wait :D

Sorry, I can't agree with that. I try to love every line I sail. It would be foolish to spend the money and not try to love it, right? :confused: So far, I do love 4 out of the 5 lines I've sailed. Unfortunately for my view of NCL, Dawn was my last NCL cruise and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Why do you want to reject the entire fleet because of one bad experience on one ship? I have been on both the Dawn and the Spirit. My opinion of the Dawn is not quite the same as yours, but it was my least favorite of the two ships. Disney Magic was my favorite but NCL Spirit was just a nice in many ways. If you tried a different ship you might be surprised. :)

I was hoping we'd be sailing after dry dock too. I was hoping they would fix those windows. The cruise will be a blast anyways!! It will be my first time in a suite and I can't wait :D

Last time I sailed on Dawn , there was a crew of glass guy's on board too . They where changing windows, replacing gaskets and such as we sailed and in port.

Their was a lot of crates of glass in the deck 13 alley still to go .

Edited by biker@sea

Last time I sailed on Dawn , there was a crew of glass guy's on board too . They where changing windows, replacing gaskets and such as we sailed and in port.

Their was a lot of crates of glass in the deck 13 alley still to go .

I had heard some rumors about that! Like the other poster, I'd be thrilled if my rooms view has been improved! I'm in 12002 on my next cruise and based on some YouTube videos (from over a year ago) it appeared there were some fogged windows. Fingers crossed! [emoji4]

What issues did you have in 2011?

The layout of the ship is horrible IMO. The food was horrible....even hubby said it was horrible and very salty. The service we got in the dining room was horrible.....our server and the matre'd never got my basic salad right (I am veggie) and would tell me they wanted it to be right. I would end up with whatever for dinner as they didn't listen. That doesn't sound like much of a problem but when you have limitations of what to eat for 7 days it is aggravating especially since I email NCL ahead of time about dietary issues. I am told to talk to them once onboard. I am hoping since it is 3 1/2 years later that we have a better experience.

Why do you want to reject the entire fleet because of one bad experience on one ship?

I think you misunderstood. When I said Dawn was my last NCL cruise, it means that was my most recent NCL cruise, not that it was my last ever.

I had Getaway booked this past January but had to cancel. My friends who still went loved it and from what I heard of their cruise, I likely would have loved it also. I actually like the way NCL is going. I just don't like their older ships. Not only Dawn...I know I'll never book Sky again also.

The layout of the ship is horrible IMO. The food was horrible....even hubby said it was horrible and very salty. The service we got in the dining room was horrible.....our server and the matre'd never got my basic salad right (I am veggie) and would tell me they wanted it to be right. I would end up with whatever for dinner as they didn't listen. That doesn't sound like much of a problem but when you have limitations of what to eat for 7 days it is aggravating especially since I email NCL ahead of time about dietary issues. I am told to talk to them once onboard. I am hoping since it is 3 1/2 years later that we have a better experience.

If everything was so "horrible" why would you book it again??