Acropolis query

Ladytainn

We will be in Athens in May and were thinking of a shared tour with PK Tours. I am concerned that I will not be able to do the climb up to the Acropolis ( I know my own limitations) is it still worth doing the tour, I'm happy to sit somewhere and wait for the group, I often do this and am content to sit or wander but I am unsure how these tours are structured and if I would be able to do this.

If any of you have any advice I'd appreciate it, thanks

we used PK tours a few years ago-husband has walking difficulties

there is a lift that can be used by disabled-it's a fairly scary looking open sided affair that ascends up cliff face!

steps up to the acropolis are steep and numerous.However the terrain on top is the most challenging thing,it's uneven and some of the stones are very slippery

It can be done with care and if you take your time but only you know your own limitations

The guide from PK cant tour the site with you so you could stay with him near the van

We did the Acropolis first thing before the crowds which did help

The rest of the tour was a tour of Athens including changing of guard,olympic stadium and a drive up to a scenic overview point which was very easy walking

finally we were dropped off for free time in Greek agora area before being driven back to the ship

Edited by fabnfortysomething

If just a driver is provided, you should be able to stay at the bottom with the vehicle (we did just that). We took photos and wandered a little at the entrance, then returned to the van and waited for the rest of the group to return.

But if there is actually a tour guide, they may take the group up the front and down the back (we did this our first visit in 1992).

You really need to check with the tour company to see if they allow this.

While ours was a private tour with PK - my mother in law has mobility issues too - my dh and fil went up and I stayed down with her (I had been "up top" twice before) There is a restaurant near the bottom and we went there with the driver. The guys came down and met us there.

Ask the tour company ! They should be able to accommodate you.

Thanks very much, I knew I could get advice on here. I'm more than happy to book the tour now. I'd rather stay at the bottom than slow everyone down really, I did something similar in Japan, my husband got great views of the volcano and I sat and practised English, there's not mine, with a group of lovely happy Japanese high school seniors, it's one of my really great memories of that trip!