Peterhof or Catherine's Palace

If you could visit only one of the two, which would it be? Also, has anyone done the hydrofoil to Peterhof? I've heard it takes 30 min., 50 min., costs $10, costs $20. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathy

This is a very hard choice. Catherine's is a little more interesting inside, but the fountains in the back of Peterhof are worth the trip alone IMHO. I would try to see both, and also the Hermitage. This should leave time for a city tour for a half day, if you are there for 2 days. Push yourself. It is well worth it!

Chowder, My wife and I are on your ship and have a group of 7 together for a 2 day tour with Red October. We'll be visiting both. You all are welcome to join us - the more the merrier (and lower the cost). Since we are a group, we are also able to tour the Gold room, as well as a canal tour of the city. If you are interested - please post your email and I'll be happy to send a copy of our itinerary.

Enjoy the cruise!
Tom

Thanks Tom for your invitation to join your group. We have made contact with a family in the United States and will be using Red October for a two day tour with them. We are only going to Peterhof due to time constraints but feel bad about missing Catherine's Palace. I guess one can't do everything. Just trying to find out if we are making a "huge" mistake.

Choice between Peterhof and Catherine's palace -
Catherine's palace without a doubt.
We chose to not go into the Peterhof, only into the gardens. Laura suggested not to visit the inside as it would be just a bit repetitious and much like other palaces. But we were just "open-mouthed" in Catherine's.

Archived