absolute newbie

maxx

Hi all

I have just booked a cruise 10 May 2006 on Pacific Sun for hubby and me.

I will have many simple aka dumb questions to ask over a period of time.

This is a great forum, it's taken ages to find but I made it!

Can someone please tell me the best dinner setting to book...we are not party animals, but don't want to miss shows. I have booked second setting, is this too late? I figured that this would be more appropriate after shore visits. Also we are booked for a table of 8, what is the best size? Would 6 be better?

Also, dressing for dinner, smart casual but how casual is this? Do men need a jacket &/or tie? HE doesn't want to get dressed up....after all it's a holiday.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Hi Maxx and welcome to the boards.

There are shows on after each dinner sitting so you will never miss a performance. If you go to the 6pm dinner you can even go to the show twice.

Both our cruises we have been on the early sitting because our party had kids to sort out for bed. That being said it was difficult to get the kids to dinner and preen ourselves for formal nights. :) You should always be back onboard before the first sitting but most of the time you wouldn't be able to sit out on deck and enjoy the sailing away because you would be getting ready.

Smart casual is not ties/jackets. My husband wore chino type pants and either a dressier polo shirt or a nice button casual shirt. I wore skirts and tops or nicer tshirts, not the touristy/slogan ones.

Can't really comment on the table size as our first cruise our table mates were sick almost the whole time (only 5 days thank goodness for them) and the second our group filled the table. My theory is, if you want to meet lots of people go the larger and also there is more likely someone you will have something in common with. Better than being stuck at a small table with people you don't like.

Thanks.

Your advice was great. I have many months to prepare. My hubby is very concerned about his motion sickness, but he has agreed to a cruise so I have booked before he could change his mind. We already have our cabin requested number in our profile so I hope this is the cabin we are allocated.

Do we have to attend formal nights or is there a dining alternative?

You can choose whether or not to attend any of the dinners in the restaurant, formal night included.

There are alternatives - on Pacific Star there'll be another restuarant (but you'll pay a surcharge to eat there) or the Pizzeria, again extra charges apply. It's certainly worthwhile trying out one or both options though, particularly if you find that a restaurant menu on a particular night doesn't appeal (the menu will be posted outside the restuarant during the day.

As for your husband not being keen - he'll have a ball. We took my father on Pacific Sun, and despite his intial reluctance - it was our second attempt to get him on a cruise - he had a wonderful time - so much so that he's already booked another cruise for next year. One of his concerns had been sea sickness, but he had no trouble at all.

Kym

Hi Maxx welcome. I too was worried about motion sickness - I get sick going across the river in the ferry. Also we went on a cruise many years ago and I threw up for 4 days so I was very worried. Ships these days are much more stable than last time we cruised. I was fine for most of the trip when we went in January until we hit Bass Straight. I went to the shop on board and bought some over the counter pills and they worked great.

We had early sitting - we don't like eating late and had a table for 8. We had a ball. The more the merrier and its easier to make conversation if there are more of you. Most nights we just wore the same as you would to a casual night out - short sleeved shirt and trousers for the guys and a pair of slacks and I just wore a nice dressy top and either slacks or a skirt. For the normal nights - they are half the fun of cruising my husband just wore a suit and I basically wore the same tops and just had a longer skirt.

I can't really comment on P&O ships though because last time we cruised on the Sapphire Princess. We are booked in December on the Pacific Princess and then in July next year on the Pacific Sky out of Singapore.

Whatever you decide to do - just chill out and enjoy :-) Gayle

Hi Maxx,

I'm sure you and hubby will love cruising. In relation to motion sickness it's all about common sense. My Nan (who has gone on at least 35 cruises) taught us the following general "rules" which we try to follow:

1. No matter how you think you will feel, take an over the counter motion sickness tablet when the boat first starts moving (I think this is mostly mind over matter, but I'm sure it helps a little!).

2. Don't drink excess alcohol on the first night on board. Your body needs to adjust to the movement of the ship and alcohol will only distort this.

3. If you start to feel sick get out on a deck and enjoy some fresh air. The best place to be if you are feeling ill is not in your cabin but rather on a deck chair in the fresh air.

4. Finally if you get really bad go to the medical centre and ask for an injection. They don't cost too much and you can claim them on most travel insurance policies. Better to cough up the money and enjoy yourself then be sick and have a miserable time.

I have been on a number of cruises and can only remember feeling a little ill only twice. Both times an over the counter motion sickness tablet and a walk around the deck had me feeling better in a short period of time. :)

Cheers,

Chaz

Hi Maxx,

I am booked on this cruise with my partner as well- finally i have someone to count down with. Look forward to talking to you over the coming months.

Leonie

Are you going to start an N615 thread? It would be great.

Maxx

Archived