Chivitavecchia To Rome

cybermall

You are much better off joining with others on your roll call for a shared ride, or taking the train, which is 12€ pp round trip including the use of metro and buses all day.

The drive takes a little over an hour, depending on traffic

Around 140 Euro sounds right. I've never done it but I hear getting a cab can be quite difficult. Better to arrange a private transfer which would be cheaper.

In my opinion the best option is the train. Cheap and fast but of course it may not drop you off in a convenient location if you are trying to get to your accommodation.

We are doing a 08April departure out of Rome, but will be coming in on 03April for a few extra days for our Roman Holiday.

We've budgeted 300euro for the three transfers we'll need:

50eu = FCO - Hotel 03April

120eu = Hotel - Port 08April

120eu = Port - FCO 18April

So, all in, roughly 300 Euro (plus gratuities) for the peace of mind of being picked up at each location. Normally we try to shave costs on this component, but this time we're just going to go ahead and spend it for the piece of mind! (And considering there aren't too many pieces left of my mind, this is a wise expenditure!)

Greg

If you go over to the Italy boards, you can find recommendations there for a shared shuttle from the hotels to the port and back again. I believe it's €25 per person. That would certainly be worth looking into if it was my budget that was being impacted. You don't have to find other people to share with you which is a big advantage.

We are doing a 08April departure out of Rome, but will be coming in on 03April for a few extra days for our Roman Holiday.

So, all in, roughly 300 Euro (plus gratuities) for the peace of mind of being picked up at each location. Normally we try to shave costs on this component, but this time we're just going to go ahead and spend it for the piece of mind! (And considering there aren't too many pieces left of my mind, this is a wise expenditure!)

Greg

Greg

Take a look at this , we have booked them for a return transfer from Hilton at Rome Airport

http://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Shared ride to Rome , Hotel pick up to Civitavecchia and then return to airport.

All correspondence via email , they couldn't have been more helpful.

Bryce

Greg

A good number of the private transport companies use vans that can fit 8 adults with 1 large and 1 small suitcase each for around 150eu for each transfer. That's less than 20eu/pp if you have a full van. We reserved a van and then posted the transfer dates and details on our roll call to find others to fill the van.

Can one catch flights back to USA same day arrival to port in or is an overnight stay necessary due to timing?

How long a trip from pier in Civitavecchia to FCO Airport?

My United Star Alliance only has flights at 10:50 am latest for my dates I was just looking at and seems risky to me.

Our flight back to the UK was 11.30 but we shared a van to the airport with 3 American couples on different flights all around 10.30. It took about an hour from the port and we arrived too early to check in as it was more than 3 hours prior to our flight . FCO can be like a zoo, but I wouldn't hesitate to book a 10.50am flight especially if you are happy to self-disembark like many others

Can one catch flights back to USA same day arrival to port in or is an overnight stay necessary due to timing?

My United Star Alliance only has flights at 10:50 am latest for my dates I was just looking at and seems risky to me.

I had the same issue with UA & Star Alliance partners. I worked with a UA agent on the phone & they were able to find a Lufthansa flight @ 12:05pm to Munich connecting to a flight back to Chicago. While I think I had to pay an additional $25, I don't have to pay for hotel, trans etc overnight. We are sharing a limo and it's my understanding that the ride from the port to the airport is about an hour + additional time if it's during the rush hour (1 1/2 hour max).

Edited by dabear

If you do self debark at 6:30 and have transport waiting, you can make it. That allows three hours at the airport. . .which is ideal. . .

In 2012, I took a taxi from the Vatican to the cruise terminal entrance in Civitavecchia. It set me back 120 EUR and took about an hour.

This was late in the afternoon, and many taxis in the area had pre-arranged fares. A couple others didn't want to make that trip. I'm not sure why. Of course, going the other direction could be different.

Train is the easiest and the most economic option by far it is around 12 euros return

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It may be the most reasonable cost wise but it definitely isn't the easiest if you have luggage. The train station is a few blocks away from the port exit. Then you have to go down & up the stairway tunnel to get to the train tracks which can be difficult if you have to carry large or multiple luggage.

The easiest and least expensive way to go from Civitavecchia to Rome and back for a port day of sightseeing is via the train. You can take a long walk or shuttle to the ticket booth just outside the port gate, then another long walk to the station. However, this isn't the best way if you have lots of luggage to juggle. It's doable if you travel very light and don't mind walking through busy streets pulling suitcases. When starting/ending a cruise in Civitavecchia we found that booking a transport vehicle with others from the roll call was also reasonable, around 20e/pp. If you go alone it will be around 160e. There are lots of reliable companies posted on the Italy thread.