carnival gift card using SWA points

1girln3boys

It looks like a $100 gift card is 10,000 RR miles. Though at least for now it looks like they are discounted to 9,400 RR. Not sure if this is the best use of RR or not. We don't fly Southwest that much and have never used a flight reward. Generally these types of awards aren't the best use of airline miles. Kind of like using points/miles for merchandise.

For us it is bc my husband's company pays for his tickets and he travels weekly. And we would never use all his miles by just purchasing flights so we use them to purchase stuff. So now instead of spending $1000 on board I won't have to spend anything.

Can you redeem just your rapid reward points, or do you have to actually have the Southwest credit card? I have plenty of rapid reward points, but I don't have the Southwest credit card. Just wanted to see what your experiences have been? Thanks!

We will be using our rapid reward points.

Please report back if you were successful because I just tried to do that and it isn't letting me. It keeps telling me I have to log in to my Southwest credit card account and not just my rapid rewards account. I was hoping to put my reward points to use, but as of now, no luck.

10,000 points seems like a lot to use just for a gift card. We average about 5000+ for a free flight, which seems like it would cost more $$ than to buy the card itself, but I'll check it out.

Definitely interested in knowing if it's just the rewards or the actual cc he's using for it. :)

You are now able to get Carnival GC by using Southwest Airlines points. My husband travels a lot so he will use his points to get my OBC. We already paid off my cruise using GC from Verizon but this is much better.

I had one that I tried to use on the ship to apply toward my bill and they would not allow me. Then I used it to help pay for my next cruise, but it took days to get someone to allow it. They finally did, but will never do it again, as it was like pulling teeth to use it. Hope you have better luck.

Thank you so much for this heads up! I have been wanting to score some discounted gift cards, but don't use Verizon, Citibank, etc. I had used a mess of points to get flights for my parents to come in and join us on October cruise, but was happy I had enough left to get $300 -- almost pays for Cheers (or my half, anyways)! :p

Note that the $500 amount offered are NOT gift cards, but are gift CERIFICATES --- these are the ones that cannot be used for onboard account and can only be used to apply to outstanding balance on cruise fare. Already learned that lesson the hard way. The $100 amount offered are actual physical gift cards like you can buy at grocery stores that can be used for anything.

Now, just hoping Carnival runs another Father's Day promo like last year...

Thank you so much for this heads up! I have been wanting to score some discounted gift cards, but don't use Verizon, Citibank, etc. I had used a mess of points to get flights for my parents to come in and join us on October cruise, but was happy I had enough left to get $300 -- almost pays for Cheers (or my half, anyways)! :p

Were you able to get them by using just your rapid reward points, or was it your points from the Southwest credit card?

Forgot to mention, I did NOT have to log in with CC, only with my Rapid Rewards #. On that main page, click "How to Redeem" tab, then choose "Redeem for More Rewards" and click on "Explore Rewards". A new window opens where you can search for the gift cards.

Good luck -- seems like they are still available at 9400 points for $100 GC. Seems about comparable to using points for flights -- I spent ~28,000 for a round trip ticket recently that would have cost a little over $300.

Were you able to get them by using just your rapid reward points, or was it your points from the Southwest credit card?

Hmm, well, I have points from both actual travel and from the credit card, so I am not sure. I hope it works for you!

Hmm, well, I have points from both actual travel and from the credit card, so I am not sure. I hope it works for you!

Thanks for the response, but no luck for me. I log on to rapid rewards and try to redeem, but it says I have to log in to the CC account to actually use them. I do think its a pretty good use of points, so may open an account.

Thanks!

Note that the $500 amount offered are NOT gift cards, but are gift CERIFICATES --- these are the ones that cannot be used for onboard account and can only be used to apply to outstanding balance on cruise fare. Already learned that lesson the hard way. The $100 amount offered are actual physical gift cards like you can buy at grocery stores that can be used for anything.

Glad you said this before we got any. We plan on getting as many $100 cards as we can tomorrow afterm we get my mom's plane ticket to come out for the cruise.

I recently redeemed SW points for Carnival gift card. BUT..they dont send a gift card, they send a gift certificate. There are differences.

Gift Certificates are only redeemable to pay for a cruise, NOT for onboard spending.

Carnival gift cards can be used for on board spending.

You must have a SW credit card to redeem points for this award.

Still not sure if you can use multiple gift certificates, i have to read the fine print again.

KMAN how long did it take you to receive the gift cards?

I haven't received them yet, but I just ordered them around a week ago. I'll let you know when I have them in hand!

I recently redeemed SW points for Carnival gift card. BUT..they dont send a gift card, they send a gift certificate. There are differences.

When I ordered, there were two distinct options -- Gift Cards (in $100 amounts) and Gift Certificates (in $500 amounts). The verbiage in description for Gift Cards is

"Carnival Gift Cards can be used on almost anything: towards the purchase of a Carnival cruise, or redeemed onboard toward the Sail & Sign account for gifts, drinks, and fun. "

vs. that for Gift Certificates

"Gift Certificates can only be accepted for new bookings. Gift certificates cannot be used for existing reservations, through a Travel Agent, on-board purchases, amenities, or excursions."

So, I do believe they offer both cards and certificates, and will confirm when mine arrive. I DO know, however, that you can apply multiple certificates against outstanding balances for a cruise, as I did that recently. They don't make it easy (i.e. they recommend mailing them in certified mail), but they do work.