So excited and so many questions

saleeb

4- I really want to surprise our kids. We will be driving to the terminal in Port Canaveral and my fantasy is that the kids won't notice us parking the car in a cruise ship area. I would love to walk into the terminal and surprise them. I have no idea what the parking garage or area really looks like. Is it obvious that we will be going on a cruise as we enter the parking lot or garage? Are the ships in your face visible from where we will park our car? Are the ships farther down the road and we take a shuttle into the terminal?

5- I've thought a lot about the two different seating times for dinner. We would prefer late seating but only if the following scenario is possible. Can I take my 3 girls (ages 5, 7, 9) to dinner at the late seating with us and leave my son (the 3 year old) at the Oceaneer's Club for our entire dinner? I don't think that he would be able to do the Dine and Play option. But, my girls would be fine with the Dine and Play option. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As for a partial surprise, you might consider getting to the port city a day or two before the cruise for a family beach vacation. If you book a cruise out of Port Canaveral, that would most likely be Cocoa Beach. After a day or two, you could pack up the car and tell the kids that you want to try a different hotel that might be nicer, then drive north on A1A to Port Canaveral. As others have said, the ship will be visible long before you get to a parking garage, and your kids will likely figure things out or ask questions, but it could be a partial surprise.

If you wanted to be especially devious, the day before you board the ship, you could drive past the port to visit the KSC visitor center or the USAF museum. There might or might not be a Disney ship there, or any ship, but it might let the kids see the port on the way to somewhere else. Then, the next day you say you pick some other place that happens to be past the port, and say you are going there, but head to the ship instead. Of course, they might figure things out anyway or complain about being so close yet not on a cruise. You know your children best in terms of what might be fun for them and what would not be.

Also, as for evening meals, it seems (at least on the Magic and Wonder) the sandwich place near the aft pool also has salads and lots of fresh fruit. You can always get something there earlier in the day to feed your son for dinner.

Also, you didn't say what port you were thinking of leaving from. You should at least consider Miami as the prices can be lower than Port Canaveral.

Also, have you checked what cabins can accommodate a family of 6? I can't imagine there are many. I'm not sure if DCL will let you book (of if your budget will allow for) two connecting cabins. Also note, if there are limited cabins that will fit your family, I would guess that they will be long gone before any Military rates become available. So, you might be better off waiting for the summer 2016 cruises to be announced and then reserving one ASAP after release to get the best deal (assuming you want a summer cruise). Off season tips, when most children are in school, are definitely less expensive.

Edited by Modern_Viking

Also, have you checked what cabins can accommodate a family of 6? I can't imagine there are many. I'm not sure if DCL will let you book (of if your budget will allow for) two connecting cabins. Also note, if there are limited cabins that will fit your family, I would guess that they will be long gone before any Military rates become available. So, you might be better off waiting for the summer 2016 cruises to be announced and then reserving one ASAP after release to get the best deal (assuming you want a summer cruise). Off season tips, when most children are in school, are definitely less expensive.

WHY do people post what they do not know? DCL will HAPPILY allow a family of 6 to book 2 connecting cabins. The rule is that any cabin containing a minor must have one adult (over 21) booked in that cabin. And you pay adult fare for the first 2 people in a cabin. They don't care who sleeps where, but only who is booked where. SO you book mom + 2 kids in one cabin and dad + 2 kids in the second cabin. The interior connecting door makes this all work well and your stateroom host can prop the doors open on both sides. The other option is a 2 bedroom suite--these are few in number and high in cost.

Modern_Viking thanks for the idea for surprising my kiddos. I like it! My daughter has wondered if we could go and just look at the ships before, so that was a good idea. Moki's Mommy, we do plan to get two connecting rooms. Do you know if every cabin has the ability to connect? I am worried that if I wait for a deal, there won't be any connecting rooms available but if all cabins have a door between them, I don't need to be concerned.

Modern_Viking thanks for the idea for surprising my kiddos. I like it! My daughter has wondered if we could go and just look at the ships before, so that was a good idea. Moki's Mommy, we do plan to get two connecting rooms. Do you know if every cabin has the ability to connect? I am worried that if I wait for a deal, there won't be any connecting rooms available but if all cabins have a door between them, I don't need to be concerned.

I know absolutely that every cabin DOES NOT have the ability to connect. The ship with the fewest connecting cabins is the Wonder as it has not had the "reimagining" that the Magic had. More connecting doors were added on the Magic during this dry dock. The newer ships have many more connecting cabins. Bottom line--to guarantee the connecting cabins, your best bet is to book as soon as the new dates come out.

You are right that waiting for a "deal" may mean none are available.

You can see on a current, updated deck plan which rooms connect.

Tell your kids that you are going to the beach for the day.

On your way there, mention that you heard that the Disney ship is in port that day and you want to drive by and take a look.

Park so that you can get a close up look.

Go into the terminal for a really close up look.

Talk to the person at the counter and "Get permission" to board the ship for a really, really close up look.

At some point she's going to figure it out.

Tell your kids that you are going to the beach for the day.

On your way there, mention that you heard that the Disney ship is in port that day and you want to drive by and take a look.

Park so that you can get a close up look.

Go into the terminal for a really close up look.

Talk to the person at the counter and "Get permission" to board the ship for a really, really close up look.

At some point she's going to figure it out.

If you can hide the luggage, showing your cruise docs/ID/passports go for it!

ex techie

Speaking to the pool/water issue and kids club - My son was in Edge (11-14) and he spent a good portion of the day on Castaway Cay with the Edge Club. He said he played in a water feature (sprinkler-like area) and also on the structure in the water (I don't know what that was called) but the kids wore life jackets and went down a big yellow slide. I think you said your kids were smaller though. I can't speak to the Oceaneer's club, since my son didn't spend any time there.

Speaking to the pool/water issue and kids club - My son was in Edge (11-14) and he spent a good portion of the day on Castaway Cay with the Edge Club. He said he played in a water feature (sprinkler-like area) and also on the structure in the water (I don't know what that was called) but the kids wore life jackets and went down a big yellow slide. I think you said your kids were smaller though. I can't speak to the Oceaneer's club, since my son didn't spend any time there.

WOAH! Life on Castaway Cay is totally different than on the ship in this regard AND the Edge is totally different than the Club/Lab.

The Club and Lab kids (3-12) do NO water activities on the ship and have some sprinkler type things on Castaway. They are signed in and out and the CMs are responsible for them at all times.

The Edge kids can come and go as they please. They have no scheduled water activities on the ship, but a bunch of them can certainly decide to go to the pool (the CMs don't control their leaving--mom's rules might!) And the slide structure is Pelican Plunge.

Club/Lab kids can have sign out privileges from age 8 and up if the parents allow it.

This is true, but I can't imagine why a developmentally normal 11 or 12 year old would choose the Lab over the Edge unless the parents either insisted on it or denied the child sign out privileges. There are parents who are uncomfortable with 11s or 12s signing out, especially on a first cruise. And if parent won't allow sign out, kid can't go to Edge.