Are you paying Red October in USD?

We want to pay in cash and avoid the 3% fee for credit cards. Although our quote was in USD, I want to be certain that if I am paying in cash that they will accept USD. If I need to covert to Rubles,would rather avoid any conversion rates that might be high once I get over there.

What have you experienced or been told with regards to the payment?

Thanks much.

Hi,

We used Red October last August when it was a 7% charge to use credit cards. We paid in U.S. dollars -- only bring non-wrinkled new dollars with no writing! They are afraid their bank won't take the old bills. We suggest you use U.S. dollars at the R.O. store since their conversion rate isn't in your favor. They convert the credit card amount to Euros and then to U.S. dollars and the conversion rate wasn't too great. Red October was a wonderful tour group. We saw so much in two days -- it was awesome! Hope you have a great time!

Great information - thanks shoshona2.

One other thing crossed my mind. One day we are taking box lunches from the ship. On the second day, though, we are having lunch at a local restaurant arranged by RO. Do you know if we pay RO for that lunch, or if we will need money to pay the restaurant individually?

Again, thanks.

Hi again,

Our lunch last year was an additional rate paid to R.O. They pay the bill at the restaurant. Your intinerary should show the additional charge. Have you considered lunch with a Russian family? Read the next post on "lunch with a Russian Family". By the way, you don't have to pay R.O. until the last day at the R.O. store.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PackersParents:

Great information - thanks shoshona2.

One other thing crossed my mind. One day we are taking box lunches from the ship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious what ship are you on? I had posed this question on the HAL board and was pretty much told there was no way to get a box lunch.

Joni

Holland America - Noordam - Baltics - July 22th

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;07;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We took a lunch from the ship. Just remember to visit the buffet at lunchtime the day before and take a mess of sandwiches plus cookies and/or fruit. Enough for yourselves and for the tour guide and driver. Put in plastic baggies and into your refrigerator in your cabin. They were fine the next day and we saved quite a lot of time, spending in the Hermitage.

This has been done many times, but if you ask any of the attendents re a bag lunch, they just don't do it. Red October is quite happy with this arrangement, so we took extra oranges the second day and left them with the guide.

Have a good trip.

We took a lunch as well the first day with RO. This gave us more time for sightseeing. We ate at their suggested restaurant on Day 2 which was very good and about $20 per person. RO was great and would highly recommend them. A minor problem was that they charged us for lunch at a restaurant for Day 1 but once we pointed this out to them it was removed from the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

If you pay on day 2 w/ RO, then is it necessary to bring a lot of dollars on day 1? Do not want to carry a ton of cash on both days, and St. Petersberg is known for pickpockets...

Westerdam - Baltic Sea

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;7;06;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We just returned from a Red October tour. You don't really need mucy money at all. All we spent out of pocket was a few dollars for sodas. Coke in a bottle was only $1.00 at both places we purchased them. As previous posts mentioned, the cost of the restaurant is included in the total price of the Red October tour. They charge a 3% surcharge if you use a credit card. We tipped our guide and driver in American dollars. There were restrooms at each stop and only 1 charged. They took an American dollar and gave change back in rubels.

We just came back from a Baltic cruise and used RO. We opted to pay the 3% for the credit card. I am glad as to carry around that sort of cash, anywhere in the world, is not smart. Also note that some of the places you are going are going to be packed, sardine type packed and you will have no way of catching someone going after anything. Our upcharge for the credit card was 3%. One other note is that that Russia does not allow any other currency except Rubles. I know that every one uses dollars, myself included, but you can be detained for that. Imoore on the Grandeur had a little trouble last year over $20 and thought they might end up having to buy someone off. Also bring along $1 and TP for the bathrooms. Some places you have to pay and most did not have TP. Also note that TP goes in the waste can not the toilet.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

Archived