Personal Computer on Celebrity Mercury

hugosmom

We are cruising on the Mercury later this month. If we take our laptop, can we use it in the Internet Cafe or do we have to use the ones in the cafe? If we can use our own, is the service wireless or ethernet?

The reason I'm asking is that my husband, who is blind, uses screen reader software to access the computer. So using computers provided by the ship won't work for him - he needs the speech software that's on his personal computer.

I looked on Celebrity's website and couldn't find the answer there. Thanks in advance for any information.

Your best bet would be to contact Celebrity directly:

call 305-539-4492 (voice/TDD)

or

send an e-mail to specialneeds@celebrity.com

This is also on the Celebrity website:

Connect@seaSM*

From the convenience and privacy of your stateroom or suite, receive and send e-mails, keep in touch with business associates, check stock quotes and surf the net.

All you need to bring is a laptop computer with Windows-based operating systems, internal modem, and dial-up Internet capabilities. A nominal daily fee applies.

* Available onboard Millennium, Infinity, Constellation and Summit.

Just be aware that internet access on Celebrity is VERY expensive, at 75 cents a minute. Even with a little internet usage, it can add up very quickly. You also have to make sure your laptop's modem is compatible with the ones used on the ship. Many laptop modems aren't compatible, so you need to check that also. I don't see why they can't hook up his laptop in their internet cafe, as it's just a matter of unplugging one of theirs and plugging yours in. But again, a lot depends on how old your laptop is and if the connections are compatible. I don't think they have WiFi available on the Mercury just yet---they have it on the M-class ships, but I don't know about their older ships.

Archived