Dave’s Live from Maasdam 14-day Southern Caribbean, March 13-27, 2015

RetiredMustang

Friday, March 13 (Cont.)

I checked on our dining table, for early dining (which is 5:30) and found we are at table 29, a two-top against the starboard window -- a great location.

Can you tell me how you were able to get a two-top? We have not cruised on HAL before and are planning a cruise next year on Maasdam. We prefer a two top for early My Time/Any Time (not sure what HAL calls it) dining.

Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Thanks for doing another live blog...I always enjoy them:) The Maasdam was our first Hal ship...out of Norfolk several years ago...hoping to sail her again next year from FLL to Montreal:) Have a wonderful cruise!

I will be following along and appreciate all the time you spend posting info and photos.

We will board her 4/7 and are anxious to find out all about her, the food, staff and any hints of "don't miss this" you can provide. Any suggestions on getting a good table for open dinning or how to make reservations there. Thanks for the help and have a wonderful cruise. Linda

We'll be doing the same itinerary you are now starting April 17. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it goes for you and what you guys do at the different ports---and on the ship. Also looking forward to seeing the daily programs. We were in a Vista Suite on the 11 night S. Carribbean Maasdam cruise last year and loved it. Wish we could have afforded one for this trip. Enjoy your trip and tell us everything about it!

I am glad you are doing another of your eagerly anticipated "live forms".

You made me laugh when you said all storms stop at the Maine border with Canada. Don't we just wish that were so----especially this winter. We get a local Boston station here and they do the same thing with their weather maps. No snow in the Maritimes.:D

Friday, March 13 (Cont.)

There were a few showers now and then during the afternoon, including one brief but spectacular downpour. Our balcony faced the pier, and we could see that the forklift operators would quickly move the luggage bins back into the warehouse when it started to rain. It meant our bags did not get wet, but also meant that it took longer to load them aboard.

One of our bags arrived before boat drill, and the other one shortly afterwards. I was on the balcony for sailaway, and took a few shots. Attached thumbnails are below and links to larger ones are listed.

I took a photo of the 17th Street causeway

(link: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/17th%20St.%20causeway_zpsdbgjwvsf.jpg )

And of the beach houses than line the Port Everglades exit channel

(link: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/Fort%20Lauderdale%20beach%20houses_zpsa5tjkvq7.jpg )

And the condos at the beach.

(link: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/Ft.%20Lauderdale%20condos_zpschdjhn2p.jpg )

I know that’s where the webcam is, but I didn’t know exactly where, but I waved anyway as we went past. The captain gave five blasts on the horn as we departed.

More later,

Dave

140014612_17thSt.causeway.jpg.1c852c830b353653119eae8a7786ac32.jpg

2033089265_FortLauderdalebeachhouses.jpg.83a69c024f7afc1439991e242655b9d7.jpg

1080882740_Ft.Lauderdalecondos.jpg.4a6b0e60f6a0562c115b0879850ab1f0.jpg

Friday, March 13 (Cont.)

After sailaway, we had drinks before dinner at the Ocean Bar. Early fixed dining was at 5:30.

Here is today’s MDR menu:

Starters * Soups * Salads

- Calypso Bay Shrimp Cocktail – mustard-Calypso sauce

- Captain Antipasto Plate – Country pate, Bresaola beef, Coppa pork, Prosciutto, Sicilian-style roasted vegetable salad

- Tomato Soup Florentine – tomato, spinach, past

- French Onion Soup “Les Halles” – Gruyere cheese crouton

- Chilled Pear, Cucumber and Melon Gazpacho – pineapple juice, basil, mint, rice wine vinegar, jalapeno peppers

- Chopped Farmer’s Salad – romaine, red onion, green olives, tomato, cucumber, green beans, apple, organic seed mix

- Classic Caesar Salad – Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons, anchovies

Mains

- Linguini Carbonara – egg-cream sauce, pancetta, Parmesan cheese

- Salade Nicoise – mixed greens, green beans, steamed potatoes, cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, vinaigrette

- Seared Yellowtail Snapper with Island Fruit Salsa – corn medley, wild rice pilaf

- Grilled Salmon with Ginger-Cilantro Pesto – basmati rice, Swiss chard, garlic, cherry tomatoes

- Prime Rib of Beef au jus – green bean amandine, sugar-glazed carrots, baked potato

- Broiled New York Strip Loin – cauliflower gratin, green peppercorn sauce

- Roasted Chicken with Sausage Cornbread Stuffing – roasted vegetables with apple-wood smoked bacon, green beans, apple-cider-chicken gravy

- Oven-Roasted Chicken – quinoa pilaf, herb-roasted vegetables, jus

- Eggplant Cannelloni Paremsan – asparagus risotto

I had the salad and the prime rib and enjoyed them very much. DW had the tomato soup and the linguini carbonara, both of which she said were excellent. We both thought there were several great options for dinner and dessert, and just hope we don’t hit a day when we wished we could have had something from an earlier menu.

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Devil’s Food Cake – Chocolate-orange buttercream

- Key Lime Pie – Whipped cream, mango sauce

- Viennese Apple Strudel – Cinnamon, raisins, warm vanilla sauce

- Lemon Torte no sugar added – Lemon cream, lemon garnish

Frozen Treats

- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Raspberry Italian Cheesecake Ice Cream

- Lemon Sorbet

- Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

- No Sugar Added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No Sugar Added Butter Pecan Ice Cream

- Pineapple Sundae – French vanilla ice cream, pineapple chunks, chocolate sauce, whipped cream

Available Daily

- Crème Brulee – Creamy, dreamy Grand Marnier-scented custard with a sheer layer of crisply caramelized sugar

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Banana Crisp – Freshout of the oven, served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

- Slice Fruit Plate – An assorted selection of fresh fruit

- Cheese Plate – Blue, Brie, Old Amsterdam, Edam

Espresso Drinks

- Espresso - $1.25

- Cappuccino - $1.75

- Extra shot - $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Mocha Mint – Kahlua, Crème de Menthe & Crème de Cacao White

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Looking forward to your review! Hope you have a great time on your cruise. Driving on I-95 can be an adventure even on good days. On our last cruise, someone from England mentioned they had just spent a week on Granada and really enjoyed the island. We've never been there, so I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the island. Remember, having fun during the next two weeks has a higher priority than writing your review!:)

Robert,

Thanks very much. I enjoyed reading your excellent recent live blog of your trip to the Panama Canal. Some day, I’d like to figure out how you did the photos, where you apparently linked several into one and bypassed the CC limit of 5 photos per post.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Looking forward to reading your writeup on your cruise. Also your pictures! :) Have a great cruise. We booked this cruise for April but changed it to the Med. cruise that we are taking in April..

Rick & joyce

Rick & Joyce,

We’ve discussed your April trip, and we are jealous. We hope HAL is still offering that round-trip from Rome in a couple of years so we can take it as well!

Dave

Can you tell me how you were able to get a two-top? We have not cruised on HAL before and are planning a cruise next year on Maasdam. We prefer a two top for early My Time/Any Time (not sure what HAL calls it) dining.

Thanks!

About getting a two-top: I didn’t make the distinction that we are in early fixed dining this cruise. We requested a two-top when we booked the cruise, and were assigned one; it is listed on our ship’s cards.

We did one cruise earlier during which we had anytime dining, and were able to get a two-top then as well. I believe there is a period of time at the height of dinner, like 6:30 to 8 or something, where you cannot reserve and have to just walk up and request to be seated. But, we dine early, and I was able to make reservations for 5:30 for up to four days in advance by going to the reservations podium on the Lido deck and asking.

Dave

JIMAOK--for Anytime dining you can get there early and ask for a table for two and book it ahead for a few days. Smile and be polite and you may get it all the time.

DAVE: Nice to read your descriptions again. I did pick out what you would have for an entree (it is the first night!). Enjoy!

Saturday, March 14

We got busy yesterday with all of the first-day chores and activities, so I finished and posted the rest of Friday’s reports this morning. We are now looking forward to a day at sea, with several activities, including the CC Meet and Greet later this morning.

Here are links to today’s program:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/14Mar15%20Program%201_zpsrrrlkzgs.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/retiredmustang1/Maasdam%202015/14Mar15%20Program%202_zpszejjnm78.jpg

More later,

Dave

Robert,

Thanks very much. I enjoyed reading your excellent recent live blog of your trip to the Panama Canal. Some day, I’d like to figure out how you did the photos, where you apparently linked several into one and bypassed the CC limit of 5 photos per post.

Dave

When you get home, Google Diptic, which is a program for making a photo collage (CC counts a collage as one photo). I'm now using an iPad to do reviews, but Diptic also has a program for a laptop (although it may require Windows 8???). On my iPad, I also try to remember to resize photos and reduce the dpi before uploading to Photobucket, which makes things go faster.

On another note, did they scan your cabin key card at muster or did they call out everyone's name? For the Internet, did you get a set price for the cruise or the traditional X number of minutes for a certain price?

When you get home, Google Diptic, which is a program for making a photo collage (CC counts a collage as one photo). I'm now using an iPad to do reviews, but Diptic also has a program for a laptop (although it may require Windows 8???). On my iPad, I also try to remember to resize photos and reduce the dpi before uploading to Photobucket, which makes things go faster.

On another note, did they scan your cabin key card at muster or did they call out everyone's name? For the Internet, did you get a set price for the cruise or the traditional X number of minutes for a certain price?

Good info on the pics.

Thanks for the update Dave. Have a great day.

Fantastic itinerary Dave. We did a very similar one a few years ago and St Bart's was my favorite port. We had lunch at Eden Rock which was recommended to us and it was one of the high lights of the trip.

Have a great time and thanks for taking us along.

Saturday, March 14 (Cont.)

For the first time, we had breakfast delivered to our room this morning. We usually just get coffee, but decided to try to get more. Right at the time we requested, the steward brought us our eggs, fruit, milk and coffee (lots), which we enjoyed a great deal in a leisurely manner. We may do that again.

We later got lattes at the Explorations Café and watched the water go by outside the windows. Just before 10, we went to the Crows Nest for the CC M&G. Nanner did a great job organizing the event, and about 30 or so CC members attended, as did the beverage manager and event manager.

Tonight is the first formal night. There are two more, according to the Explorer schedule. The second is the at-sea day between Grenada and Bonaire, and the third is the last at-sea day before Half Moon Cay. I will post this bit, and join DW on the balcony for a while before we get into formal kit and go for a pre-dinner drink before our 5:30 fixed dining time. Today is the first day of happy hour, from 4-5 in the Ocean Bar, and later in the Crows Nest. The art auction is set up in the Ocean Bar and the On Location says the OB won’t open until 4. We may pop by and see if we can get a seat at happy hour, but if it is as hectic as we’ve found on other cruises, we may just pass and go to the Mix.

More later,

Dave

Jonathan and Emma have both finished their contracts and are at home Ann

How nice for them! I guess it was a different Jonathan that was mentioned in Dave's Post 21!:)

Well, Dave as you mentioned Nanner, I think they are addicted to Maasdam! Please say hi to them from us!

Thanks for your review! We love the Maasdam. We took 3 long cruises with her this past year. We just disembarked from the Westerdam today from another fine cruise. Our friends probably think we are nuts.:) We simply love a cruise. I'll be posting my own review when I get to it, but thank you for yours!