Gizeh Pyramid excursion on Rivieria

Glorybe

We are on O's Rivieria in June 2015. I have some questions about O's excursion to the Gizeh pyramids.

Pyramids:

How long is the stop/visit at these pyramids? When we get off the bus, does the tour guide spend all of our time showing/guiding us around the site? What exactly does the tour guide show us? Will we have some free time at these pyramids? If there is free time, how did you spend it? I am considering paying extra for the Solar Boat museum or entering the tomb shafts of either Khufu or Khafre. Will I need Epounds for these tickets or can I use $US?

Egyptian Museum:

How long is the visit to this museum?

Thanks for answering as many of these questions as you can.

It takes quite a bit of time to get there...like over 3 hours. We didn't have to rush as the tour included overnight which was delightful as well as a tour down the Nile. We went through one of the pyramids that had the "top off" as my husband is so tall that he could not get in the ones where you have to walk bent over. It was interesting and the guide explained everything. There really isn't much to do "on your own" around the pyramids. The guys on camels are right after you...free picture..get up on one, have relative take picture and then YOU PAY TO GET DOWN. LOL. We went to a shopping district near the hotel which was a Conrad. That was fun and the tour down the Nile. Some people tried to do it in one day...OMG, how exhausting that must be. We also did the museum which I understand now has extensive damage. It was not so nice, no airconditioning, only King Tut's room had airconditioning. Egypt is a true third world country. Do NOT eat anything that is not cooked when you are off the ship. Take your own water. My DIL found out how true that is. I am glad we went before the mess that they have had. The bus has armed guards going out to the pyramids. All very interesting. My suggestion is mostly stay with the tour group.

How I agree with Caroldoll in regard to any food in Egypt. Don't eat it!! unless it is cooked and it is in a really top class hotel. Even then it is dodgy.

It is a fascinating place, but very much third world. The museum is vast, but of course I don't know how much is available to see now, we were there many years ago. Camels..... not for me!!!!

We were in Egypt four years ago, we did an overnight excursion with a private vendor. This vendor used the same hotel and restaurant the cruise lines used. We stayed at one of the pyramid hotels in Giza, a little safer. Cairo is definitely third world and there are some creepy vagrant beggar types hanging out at the pyramids, definitely stay with your guide at all times. Do not trust random camel handlers or random trinket sellers,the tour guides are careful on which vendors are safe to deal with. Our guide was at our side for two days, and it is true armed guards accompany tourist vehicles. It was a once in our lifetime visit, glad we did it.

Edited by sammiedawg

We were in Egypt four years ago, we did an overnight excursion with a private vendor. This vendor used the same hotel and restaurant the cruise lines used. We stayed at one of the pyramid hotels in Giza, a little safer. Cairo is definitely third world and there are some creepy vagrant beggar types hanging out at the pyramids, definitely stay with your guide at all times. Do not trust random camel handlers or random trinket sellers,the tour guides are careful on which vendors are safe to deal with. Our guide was at our side for two days, and it is true armed guards accompany tourist vehicles. It was a once in our lifetime visit, glad we did it.

We did a land/river cruise trip with A & K here 3 years ago. We stayed in the Fairmont in Cairo during the 1st part of the trip and did even our free time trips with their guides because of the tensions. We did not have any trouble with food-eating in the hotel or at the restaurants our guides used (they do not want tourists to get sick from the food). Rather than do not eat any food-avoid salads and take water maybe if you are worried.

Peddlers at Gizeh and elsewhere were a problem because they are so desperate-stick with the guide and buy from the guide's chosen vendor. The big pyramids do not have anything inside and climbing in the one that is open (I did it while the others took the camel ride) is not that interesting. DH paid for the Solar Museum which was very interesting. As said above, take lots of $1 bills to buy small stuff, etc. Also, take some small change and toilet paper in case a bathroom stop is necessary. There is a person selling tp by all such places and you may have to tip to get in but may also prefer your own tp in an emergency.

The Egypt Museum is fabulous and worth a detour. All the guides are good at showing the highlights if time is tight. Scarier for some but even better is the tour of the markets-if it is safe to do this, do not miss it. Our river cruise down the Nile was great but I am not sure if a short cruise will go to the good part. Skippable was the light show at the Great Pyramids. We did not pay much attention to the armed guards-they were all friendly. Getting around was time consuming because of traffic, security, etc and may be more so now but see something while there-this is one of the great places of the world to see. Just stick with the guides.

Edited by tvmovielover

We were there in November, although not with Oceania. You will need Egyptian pounds for those tickets you mentioned. Depending on the size of your group, your guide may be able to get them and you can reimburse him/her. Ours did that for one of our friends who went inside the pyramid, but when we went back the next day on our own we definitely needed pounds.

The good thing about going to the museum now is that it's not likely to be crowded and you won't have to wait behind people to see some of the exhibits. Our guide told us that five years ago the line to see King Tut's throne was out the door. But we were able to walk right up to it and everything else. We even had the pyramids to ourselves one morning.

Edited by kimiata

Hi

not sure what Epounds are? you can have €uros or GBP pounds they are NOT the same! That said you are either OK to use Egyptian pounds ( usually filthy and crumpled) or small denomination US$.

Most the hawkers are not Egyptian,but African ( many nations) some of them can be quite aggressive and use children as ploys. The post cards and ornaments they sell are not worth having.

The solar boat is really worth seeing and if you can get into what's left of the museum King Tutankhamen's gold mask and tomb artefacts are amazing.

It is a long journey.....take hand wash and water!

Enjoy

Josie

Stay with your guide (as some one has already said)