porvoo by bus

I would love to hear from anyone who has gone to Porvoo on the bus from Helsinki. Also, any details about the bus and where to get it. Since the ship leaves at 6PM I do not feel comfortable with the private tour that goes at 1 and returns at 5.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Porvoo via the ship's tour. It was a full day tour including Helsinki highlights, a drive through the countryside to Porvoo. You had about 40 minutes in the city, which is enough as there are only 2 short streets with shops. Then went to a farm for lunch, returning to the city to see the rock church. In my opinion, not sure the trip to Porvoo is actually worth it. There is really nothing there. Also, I was disappointed in the rock church. I don't know what I expected, but thought it would be better.

linh,

I'm not sure what ship you were on, but I believe several do a tour much the same as the one you did. On Celebrity this tour is running about $150.00. Even if you were disappointed in Porvo and the church, did you think the tour as worth the cost? If you had to do it again would you try doing the city on your own? Thanks for the feedback.

Dawn

We did the same tour that linh123 did and while we enjoyed Porvoo (it kind of reminded us of Old Salem, North Carolina) if we returned to Helsinki we would just tour the town on our own. But we were also very tired of many of the people on our cruise by the end so this largely effects this decision.

Grand Princess 5/29/2004

Dawn Princess 3/7/2004

Dawn Princess 3/10/2003

Golden Princess 2002

Sea Princess 2001

Carnival Fastasy 1997

We were on the Constellation and I think the tour cost about $129. We did not take the one that included the horse farm. There is really not a lot to see in Helsinki. If I had it to do over again, I probably would still go to Porvoo, as I would think I was missing something. When we have done cities on our own, I find that I miss learning some of the history of the city and miss items of interest. Also, it was nice to see some of the countryside.

We really enjoyed Porvoo as well as seeing the countryside. We booked through the Jewel and had a stress free relaxing day. We did all the other ports on our own except St Petersburg.

How to get there on your own: Porvoo is about an hour by bus from the Helsinki Bus Terminal, Platforms 3, 5-6, 8.

http://www.finlandkingsroad.com/east.html

http://www.finlandkingsroad.com/daytrips.html

Archived