Kids Clubs

Suebiker

Lunch 13.00-14.00, tea 17.00-18.00, children's tea served 1700-1800. Just returned from Azura our daughter was in The Beach Hut 2-4 year olds. Fabulous facilities and amazing staff.

Edited by pilotjude

Can they not sign themselves in and out? Our children are used to signing in and out on Celebrity. (Aged 10 and 12)

Last time I used the children's club on P&O (two years ago) there were three systems for the children.

The youngest children could never sign in or out and this had to be done on their behalf by a parent or someone authorised by the parent to do so. A minimum age restriction applied here but grandmas etc. were ideal, big sister or brother might be too young to qualify for example.

The oldest children could "sign in or out" as they pleased and in the teens club I seem to remember that no actual book or any records were made or kept.

The middle age range children, such as my daughter then aged 10 could sign herself both in and out. This was because I had filled in the parent's consent to allowing her to sign herself in and allowing her to sign herself out. If I had not completed this form she would not have been allowed to sign herself in/out. It is possible to restrict signing to "in only" but not out if a parent wants this as far as I can remember.

The definitive way of finding out I should say is to email the cruise line.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Lunch 13.00-14.00, tea 17.00-18.00, children's tea served 1700-1800. Just returned from Azura our daughter was in The Beach Hut 2-4 year olds. Fabulous facilities and amazing staff.

oooh, could you give me some idea what it's like? We're on board in the summer with my 2(will by 3 by then) year old. Is the outdoor play area only accessed from the Reef? Also could you tell me if the toddler pool is accessed through the reef, or just for any families?

Thanks

Can they not sign themselves in and out? Our children are used to signing in and out on Celebrity. (Aged 10 and 12)

Hi - last time we were onboard we enquired about the 9-12 age group and whether they had to be signed in and out of the kids club or not. We were told that at that time (last May) kids in that age group could sign themselves in and out. However - P and O would be changing that policy for this year and there would be new security measures in place which would change the signing in and out process. They did say that kids in the 9-12 age group would no longer be allowed to sign themselves in and out. Something I am very pleased about as I felt my daughter who has only just turned 9 would be too young to sign herself in and out.

Anyway - we are onboard soon - so we will soon find out what changes have been made.

Sue

Hi - last time we were onboard we enquired about the 9-12 age group and whether they had to be signed in and out of the kids club or not. We were told that at that time (last May) kids in that age group could sign themselves in and out. However - P and O would be changing that policy for this year and there would be new security measures in place which would change the signing in and out process. They did say that kids in the 9-12 age group would no longer be allowed to sign themselves in and out. Something I am very pleased about as I felt my daughter who has only just turned 9 would be too young to sign herself in and out.

Anyway - we are onboard soon - so we will soon find out what changes have been made.

Sue

Gosh I hope that's not true. My two will see this as a real step backwards. We liked the previous system. You had to give initial consent and so there was still parental choice. My son gets the public bus yo school everyday on his own and would probably feel like he's being treated like a baby! He's 13 in May:eek:

Fingers crossed any changes will come into effect in April so we will escape this time but it will still affect May half term on Ventura!

Edited by Jo and Rob

Sue

They did indeed change the policy for 9-12's at the beginning of last years summer holidays. They now have the same restrictions as the lower age group. This means that a parent must go with them to sign them in the club and also go back to collect them at any time they need to leave. At the initial sign up, all adults who may collect the kids had a sticker placed on their cruise card. If you didn't have a sticker then you couldn't collect any child.

This did put a bit of a damper on our sons holiday as he used to take himself off to get a drink or a pizza if he did not fancy the activity planned. It also meant we were clock watching a lot, as we had to go and sign him out on occasions when he would have normally done it himself.

We found it also led to huge queues of parents all trying to pick their kids up at the same time. This was partly caused by the fact that you had to wait for a member of staff to check your signature against your cruise card. As ours was one of the first cruises to implement these changes I'm hoping that the problems have been ironed out now as it certainly seemed pretty complex at the the time ! More so than the 5-8 club which our daughter was in.

I can understand that 9-12 is a difficult age but I much preferred it when the parents judged whether their child was mature enough to be allowed the freedom to come and go. My son is reluctant to go to the clubs this year, as he feels like they are treating him like a baby. As he is heading towards his second year at secondary school and manages to make his own way there and back, I tend to agree with him. Perhaps P&O need to rethink the age grouping more in relation to the school stage they are in.

Dear me I am glad that my daughter is now 19! She would have been quite insulted by having to be signed in and out when she was 11 or 12, and already catching the bus to school and to town with friends alone. You have to give children this age some independence or they never learn to be independent adults!

I totally agreed with the policy of parental choice, as parents are best placed to know how much freedom their child can handle. I suspect that if we had been on P and O when she was 11, my daughter would simply have refused to participate in a club that treated her like a baby.

This is the trouble with the "Child Safeguarding" hysteria currently pervading this silly country. All common sense goes out of the window.