Activities on crossings

janred

I know I have read somewhere about activities. Just can't remember where! So, if anyone can answer what kinds of activities, ie bridge lessons, dance lessons etc. I would appreciate hearing from you. My dh and I are going on the Regatta in Nov. with another couple. We also enjoy just being at sea, but the other couple has never been on a crossing so am trying to answer some questions for them. Thank you. Jan :rolleyes:

Jan -

I will also be on the Regatta transatlantic in November, and having been on the Insginia I can clue you in on the type of activities offered.

First, there are the activites that were offered daily, for the most part at the same time every day. These included:

Ping pong, golf putting, shuffleboard tournaments

Team trivia (probably the best attended event)

Arts and crafts

Computer classes

Bridge (I am not sure if this was every day or only some of the days)

Aerobics or other similiar activities in the gym

Then there were other activities that were not every day, but offered at least a few times:

"Guest" lecturer - we had a former diplomat, who spoke three times

Bingo

Art auctions

In addition, there was an ice sculpture demonstration one day, the 12 piece band played every day at lunch time on the outdoor deck, there was an "open house", where all of the types of cabins could be viewed (they did not have passengers staying in them).

I would not have been interested in dance lessons, but I do not remember hearing/seeing anything about them.

I am defintiely looking forward to the November cruise, and look forward to meeting you!

Howard

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think we were going to be the only ones onboard. The activities you mention sound great! It's just a little over 2 months till embarkation. Yea!!! Do you know anything about Punto Delgado? Jan

Punto Delgado is the largest city on the largest island of the Azores, San Miguel. Here is a toruism website on Punto Delgado and the Azores in general:

http://www.destinazores.com/smiguel_pontadelgada.php

The scheduled time in port - 3 PM until 11: 45 PM is kind of odd. In November it will get dark quite early, so any sightseeing in the countryside would be pretty much confined to the first couple of hours. I plan on just walking around the town, which has some historic buildings including several churches, shopping, etc.

We will be going on our first Caribbean cruise with Oceania in Feb. We've been to Caribbean ports about 25 times but thought we'd try Oceania for our third cruise with them. If anyone has done a Caribbean cruise with Oceania, what type of activities do they have for sea days? On our European cruises with them, we were just happy to rest and read on our sea days. Thanks for any information.

Joan

Howard and Jan-

DH and I will be on the Nov. Regatta crossing with you too. How far out do you usually get your cruise docs?

This is our first Oceania cruise and I was glad nothing could be done to this itinerary, so in light of some of the other threads, I haven't felt concerned about that. But my heart goes out to those who have been adversely affected. What a bummer. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out, but South America has been scratched for us, at least on this line.

Look forward to seeing you all and anxious to get on a cruise ship again.

Hi Liz..If you dont mind my answering..your TA gets them 21 days prior to departure, checks them for accuracy and gets them out to you.

Jan:)

Hi Howard;

I too will be on the crossing and looking forward to meeting. Thanks for the heads up on the activities. Many cruise directors will adjust the # and type of activities depending on the particular cruise and the passengers.

Best

David

Queen Mary2

Queen Elizabeth 2

Pacific Princess 1

SSNorway

Rembrandt

Sea Breeze

Regal Empress

Queen Mary 1 [long beach]

Harald Jarl

Stella Oceanis