Which ship would be best?

Houzer

I have been doing some research on the RCCL web site and trying to find out which ship is better suited for 15-16 year olds along with 8-9year olds. We would really like to go on a Southern cruise but it depends on whether the ships are suited for these age groups. From what I can tell there are no huge differences in this departement. We have done the Disney Magic and this coming March the Disney Wonder so we already know the kids love cruising. What do you think, help!?

Thanks so much Houzer

You might look at the Adventure of the Seas which does the Southern route out of San Juan on Sundays. It is a Voyager class ship, so it has the Royal Promenade, the ice skating rink, and lots of other things that are fun for kids and adults alike.

If you want to do the Southern route you have a choice of Serenade, which is a Radiance class ship, or Adventure which is a Voyager class ship. Either class of ship would probably fit your situation fine but the Voyager class is just incredible. It is my favorite class of ship though there are plenty of folks here that prefer the Radiance class. Your Kids might like Adventure more than Serenade as might you. If you choose to do the Aruba route instead of the Barbados route then Adventure is the only ship you can choose. Both ships do the Barbados route.

Both ships have rock climbing, miniture golf, and a basketball court. Adventure has a Royal Promenade which runs down the center of the ship and has shops and pubs. They also have "street performers" here. It is hard to describe how it feels the first time you step onto the Royal Promenade. I think it is amazing. She also has roller blading and an ice rink. You will never see anything like the ice show on any other class of ship. Her adult solarium does not have a retractible glass roof over it. She has a beautiful three level dining room. She has Johnny Rocket's which is an extra charge hamburger food venue. She carries somewhere around 3200 passengers but is designed to do so very well

Serenade has much more glass which allows you to see the ocean from just about any public area of the ship including the elevators. She is decorated with deep blue carpets and wood paneling that gives her a very elegant look and feel. She has a very beuatiful centrum. Her windjammer is beautiful and it has outdoor seating which Adventure does not have. However, it is pretty hot in the southern caribbean so you might want to eat inside in the air conditioning anyway. She also has self leveling pool tables. Her adult solarium has a retractible glass roof. Mostly it is kept closed and the air conditioned interior is a welcome relief from the heat. She has a very nice two level dining room but it doesn't measure up to the look of a Voyager class dining room. She has the Seaview cafe which is a cruise fare included food venue that is great for late night snacks and has nice inside and outside seating. She carries around 2500 passengers.

If I can answer any other questions feel free to ask.

As much as I love the Serenade, I will agree with the above post. We have been on both, although the Serenade many times and the Voyager/Adventure each once. With children the age of yours, I would go for the Voyager class as there is much more to do. I also feel that you will find more kids within your age groups for them to hang out with. Both ships are fantastic, as are the intenaries. We felt very comfortable with our daughter at the teen's club, the Promenade, the pool, baskeball, etc. There was always plenty for her to do. As for the ports, we always had things of interest for all of us. Either way you go, you will have a wonderful time.

We have just returned from the southern route (aruba, caracao, st martin, st thomas) on Adventure of the Seas - my daughter is 17 and she said that this was the BEST of the 5 cruises she has taken. So I agree with the other posters - AOS for teens and for parents. It was a wonderful cruise.

I have cruised both Adventure and Serenade. I enjoyed Adventure but really do not like Voyager class. However, many people do and I think with kids and teens along it is the perfect choice.

AOS is a pretty ship with a great staff and crew and you will have a great time!

Archived