Adding a Fourth Guest Down the Road...

roseshayit

So I'm not familiar with NCL's policies, but if I were to book a cruise now for three with the "3rd and 4th guests sail free" promotion, but needed to add the 4th person down the road, how would that work? Would I be able to add the 4th for free, need to rebook for everyone, or add the 4th at the then current rate?

Book John/Jane Doe as fourth, you can cancel 3rd plus passengers up until very close to the cruise (before the 100% cancellation period starts, for regular cabins on most sailings that's 14 days before) for free.

If you wait until later to add fourth passenger, there might not be availability (because of the lifeboat capacity) even if your cabin had a free bed still.

Book John/Jane Doe as fourth, you can cancel 3rd plus passengers up until very close to the cruise (before the 100% cancellation period starts, for regular cabins on most sailings that's 14 days before) for free.

If you wait until later to add fourth passenger, there might not be availability (because of the lifeboat capacity) even if your cabin had a free bed still.

Thank you, and I understand the risk of the boat being full. Passenger #4 is not born yet, so I don't think I can pretend...I need to know what would actually happen if I needed to try and add later.

Demonyte answered correctly. However, I think you misunderstood what he/she was saying.

They were saying to use fictional names as place holders. Just make up a name, names can be changed later. Yes, you can pretend.

As far as what would happen if you chose to ignore the excellent advice that has been given to you, you may expect one of these things:

1. Nothing, promo is still available and you can add the guest at no cost.

2. You are able to add the guest, but at a cost.

3. You are not able to add the guest because the ship is at capacity.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Thank you, and I understand the risk of the boat being full. Passenger #4 is not born yet, so I don't think I can pretend...I need to know what would actually happen if I needed to try and add later.

Careful!! Don't know the exact rules for NCL, but most cruise lines have an age restriction for babies--some must be 1 year old before sailing--some will take them as young as 6 months, so be sure that the unborn child will be of proper age before sailing!! :eek: Just a heads up for you!!:D

I just checked. Infants under 6 months old are not allowed to travel on NCL.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#children-cruise-fare

If the baby will be over 6 months, you should check with NCL for needed documents. generally speaking, many people don't recommend taking such a young child on a cruise. That's your choice, so I'll stay mum on the topic....but I do recommend you do some research on the subject, if that is your plan.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

We had to do this when my parents' booked a family cruise well in advance and my nephew had not yet been born. Worked with a PCC and he did as others suggested and put a placeholder name in as the third guest in my sister and BIL's room. When my nephew was born, my mom called the PCC and updated the name. Easy!

I would definitely add a placeholder name for now, particularly with the 3rd/4th passenger promo happening. If you didn't add the baby and the promo ended, I'm not sure what the cost would be.

My nephew was 8 months old on the sailing and he, along with my sister and BIL, did just fine. It was a great cruise for all of us!

If you take baby on the cruise, there are tons of tips to be found by searching articles. Google: cruise with infant.

Little things can make a big difference. Some cruise lines won't change diapers in the infant rooms. They just give you a pager, to summon you to change your baby's diaper. Room choices a with bathtub can be convenient for sponging your baby. A room with a divider may help if you don't cosleep.

It's worth researching to have a better experience.

Little things can make a big difference. Some cruise lines won't change diapers in the infant rooms. They just give you a pager, to summon you to change your baby's diaper. Room choices a with bathtub can be convenient for sponging your baby. A room with a divider may help if you don't cosleep.

It's worth researching to have a better experience.

Exactly. For example NCL doesn't have infant rooms (like described above) where infants could be left without somebody from their group (a parent, possible grandparent, etc) - only kids ages 3 and up can be left to kids' clubs alone.

Exactly. For example NCL doesn't have infant rooms (like described above) where infants could be left without somebody from their group (a parent, possible grandparent, etc) - only kids ages 3 and up can be left to kids' clubs alone.

This will be a first on the Escape

"Youth Programming

In a first for the line, as part of the Guppies program, Norwegian Escape will offer childcare services for children ages six months to three years. The nursery will include an active area for play time and age-appropriate activities and a separate space for napping. In addition to the nursery services, Norwegian Escape's Guppies program will offer a dedicated open play area for parents and babies to play together, featuring sensory-based games, interactive media and themed activities hosted by an early years coordinator. "

Link to entire Press Release where this was announced along with other Escape features

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_121614

Make up a name for the baby and use expected due date. Add the 4th passenger now or you might not be able to later.

Yes, this is the way to do it.

Our PCC (who works for NCL, after all) entered the first name of "X" :)

We had to cancel one cruise (the one where we bring another family with us) this year, because Mom is too far along.

But the good news, timing-wise, is that the baby will be old enough to sail the same itinerary in 2016... but we obviously don't have a name and birthdate yet.

And IMPORTANTLY, by adding the 4th passenger now, the headcount and perks are all set in place (not that the baby is going to be drinking much soda, of course).

But the "head count" now includes this particular passenger, which is the critical part.

And too bad it's only the Escape that will have real child-care for Guppies.

We'd happily pay extra, if the service would be available on other NCL ships.

GeezerCouple

As long as baby will be the appropriate age at sailing this is not a problem. We sailed with DS when he was 10 months on a cruise we booked before he was born. Our travel agent booked him (can't remember if it was as John Doe or as TBA) and when he arrived and had a name and birthday she updated it for us. Book the baby to be now so you won't have to worry about being able to do so later!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Added a 3rd person to our Getaway cruise Jan 03, 2015. Added prior to full pymt etc. Stateroom did not change.

1st & 2nd passenger booked with kids sail free.

At a later date added third passenger also booked with another ksf promo BUT still had to pay the full third person rate ( almost $600 )

Different ksf promo.....

It was with a travel agent So not sure if that had anything to do with it :(

This time I booked with NCL and she suggested adding a 3 & 4 name now and the name can be changed or cancelled prior to final pymt :)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Forums mobile app

I appreciate those who provided helpful advice and shared their experiences based on my initial question. I have never cruised NCL, so I was surprised to hear you can "pretend," as Royal seems to go about things differently based on my experience and other stories I have heard (although my experience with Royal also tells me that it may depend on who I get on the phone at any given time). However, works for me! :)