Biggest waves encountered?

On Brilliance of the Seas first westbound TA in 2002, we encountered seas that Captain James reported as being 60 foot swells. He did a terrific job of avoiding the worst of hurricane Gustave and we arrived in Boston relatively unscathed. A Princess ship which was crossing the Atlantic at approximately the same time, arrived in NYC with broken windows and smashed dinnerware and other damage. During the height of the bad weather, my wife and I sat in the Viking Crown lounge and watched the waves sweep over the bow of the ship.

Do you remember, a couple of years ago, there was a rogue wave that hit a Norwegian Cruise Line that shattered part of the Captain's control room. Also, the Captain and the company came under criticism because they did not avoid the storm because they had to be in NYC for a reality show. Can't remember the name of the ship or the estimated size of the wave.

That was the NCL Dawn & it was 2005 ( I think)..wave was 70-75 feet high & went up to Deck 10...you can see that story on the show called "Rogue Waves" shown occasionally on the Science Channel, or similar..great show- have it saved on my DVR..

September 2002 on Carnival Celebration, our first cruise we were behind a hurricane if I remember correctly but don't remember the name. I don't know how big the waves were but it was rough

The 1st 3 days of the cruise you couldn't go on deck at all, and it felt like you were on a rollercoaster. Walking down the hall was difficult because the ship was moving so much. Throw up was everywhere and barf bags taped up all over the place. In the main dining room you could feel the whole place shake when we hit a wave

I was wondering how high the waves you ever encountered on a cruise were and what part of the world were you in?

For me it was on our way to Geiranger, Norway. Leg 1 of our B2B the waves were 30ft high. Kept sliding back and forth in my bed. I am sure the barf bag were out. Our second visit to Geiranger, they were only 15ft high, managed to walk around the ship. The bags were out in full force.

Would love the hear everyone's experience :)

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

On our Grandeur cruise 2 years ago the waves were said to be 45'

They didn't look that big to me but they did reach up to the lounge on deck 6 and the heavy blinds had to be drawn in case they waves crashed through the windows.

I ended up in bed for about 28 hours straight. Everytime I tried to stand I just basically feinted and would have thrown up if I had been able to eat anything. My wife wasn't impacted by the waves at all but said most of the ship was deserted and that most of the bars lost glassware. The chandalier in the dining room fell and crashed.

We were headed north from FL to Baltimore in the winter.

Other than that it was a lovely cruise.