Wi-Fi

bbddww

Just completed a 14 night Celebrity Eclipse cruise. Purchased unlimited wi-fi package. So glad we did!! Wi-fi speed, as expected, terribly slow. But much worse was fact that connectivity to wi-fi was absolutely abysmal. Kept randomly disconnecting and/or disappearing completely, both in stateroom and in public areas. In-process pinwheel in various apps would just keep spinning, although connectivity was doing nothing. If you buy a "minutes"-based wi-fi package be prepared to lose many minutes, even if you use them very judiciously.

Just completed a 14 night Celebrity Eclipse cruise. Purchased unlimited wi-fi package. So glad we did!! Wi-fi speed, as expected, terribly slow. But much worse was fact that connectivity to wi-fi was absolutely abysmal. Kept randomly disconnecting and/or disappearing completely, both in stateroom and in public areas. In-process pinwheel in various apps would just keep spinning, although connectivity was doing nothing. If you buy a "minutes"-based wi-fi package be prepared to lose many minutes, even if you use them very judiciously.
We had the same disconnecting problem on the Summit in January. When anyone spoke with the IT Tech, he would say it wasn't the system's fault (until a number of us said it was also happening to us) and then he said he would send an email to corporate.

here is a huge bonus I discovered! I knew if I got off the ship in Curacao the island has free WiFi. But I thought if I tried it on the ship would it work for free. yep - it sure did and it felt like I received a huge present!!!!

We sailed the Eclipse for the month of Feb. - I took my iPad up to the swimming pool level on the port side about 20 feet past the smoking section and it worked like a charm! Much faster than the ship's Internet also. You will have to sit in a lounger right by the window and it does have hot spots. At one point I moved and lost the connection and went back to my original lounger and got back on. I spent most of the day there reading news, cleaning off emails, sending pictures.

When you are cruising for a month it was nice to spend the hours getting in touch with the world again before logging off and going back to heaven!

We had the same disconnecting problem on the Summit in January. When anyone spoke with the IT Tech, he would say it wasn't the system's fault (until a number of us said it was also happening to us) and then he said he would send an email to corporate.

Yeah, that's their story ("it's not the system's fault") . However, that's not correct.

They don't really have a wireless infrastructure that can handle the number of guests that they have. Not enough bandwidth as well, but at sea that's pretty limited anyway due to the satellite uplinks they're using. I spend time trying to find areas of the ship where there's an access point with some spare capacity that I can use to connect, often frustrated. It's NOT my computer, it's the system. I do this stuff for a living. If some IT tech tried that excuse on me, he'd get a bit of reeducation he wouldn't forget. :)