Tobacco Bay questions

1bets1

Hi everyone....

I'll be arriving in the Dockyard May 18, staying 1.5 days. I'm reading all the forums, which have great info, but a few of my questions remain.

1. To get to Tobacco Bay beach- ferry from dockyard to St George's, walk, taxi or shuttle to Tobacco. (I'll probably walk if I get good dirctions) A lot of the threads say for return, take bus into Hamilton, then ferry back to dockyard. Can't I just walk back to the original ferry terminal in St George's, or is there no return ferry? Is via Hamilton just easier?

2. I read I'll pass the unfinished church, and can also walk a bit further to Fort St Catherines if I choose. Is anything else cool in walking distance?

3. Some said there is a shuttle to beach from the ferry. Does anyone know if it runs in mid May? I can't seem to find any information on this shuttle. I assume if running, it's round trip. Will I still pass the church?

4. Has anyone eaten at the concession at that beach? Is it good, or should I buy some food in the dockyard before I leave?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by 1bets1
Typo

You can take a return ferry back to the Dockyard from St. George. It is the quickest way to get back. The bus ride into Hamilton would give you a chance to see some of the island but it takes quite a while.

You can walk to Tobacco Bay from St. George and you will pass the unfinished church on your way. You can pick up a foldable map when you buy your transportation pass. That will give you the directions and where things are located and the names of the streets you need to take. I know the street to tobacco goes right out of the center of town near the Town Center area. I believe there are signs that point you in the right direction. After Tobacco Bay you can continue to walk along the road, keeping the ocean on your left hand side. You will come upon Fort St. Catherine, Gates Bay Beach, some small farms along the road, a small sea glass beach, an old fort or Battery, the cut that the ships use to use when they docked in St. George and a lot of beautiful scenery and views of the ocean. The walk will take about an hour to return into St. George. Take along water to keep hydrated because it can be quite warm.

Yes, you can take the ferry back to the Dockyard. If you take the bus into Hamilton, it is quite a long ride but you would get to see more of the island. You just return to the ferry dock that you came into and board the ferry there. Make sure you know when the last ferry leaves St. George for the Dockyard and be there in time to catch it.

The shuttle out to Tobacco is just a few local guys who make money driving people out there. It is not a regular shuttle that has a timetable or anything. The walk is not a hard one and very enjoyable crossing the tip of St. George.

Tobacco Bay Concessions has been taken over by a new owner in the year or so. I know they have fast food like hamburger, pizza, drinks, etc. Nothing fancy but will fill up your stomach.

Enjoy your cruise and don't be afraid to ask for directions. The Bermudians are a wonderfully helpful group of people and very proud of their island.

Last fall, we walked all the way to Fort St. Catherine (past Tobacco Bay). It was a LONG walk (and I kept insisting to DH that it was uphill, both ways). You'll definitely need both both water, and sensible shoes. The unfinished church is amazing -- and, you can get some decent pictures of it from the road, if you're in a vehicle. If you are on foot, you can walk around the outside of the structure -- but, the inside is fenced off, for safety reasons. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

For me, sounds like the walk would be too long. We will find a "shuttle". Thanks Flowers44, for your info. People in Bermuda are so friendly we never have any problems. Just make sure you know the ferry schedule back to the ship! The bus :) is a long trip!