Gem Embarkation Question

We are cruising on the Gem in June. We are planning on parking in NJ and taking the ferry over to the city. We would like to do some things in Manhattan but we're going to have our bags with us. Besides doing an NCL tour, is there any way we could drop off our bags before we board the ship?

Porters are available around 8am for passengers disembarking and new passangers arriving. Just drop off your bags at the port and enjoy some time in the city. Remember to be onboard 2 hrs before sail time.

If it were me I would get a cheap Times Square area hotel for the night before if possible thru groupon as they do exist and park the car in jersey for an extra day.

Alternately as I always only travel with a 21 inch wheel on...just do your roaming prior to check in as I would never check my luggage ....even if i did check luggage ....which i dont ....at 8 am as it could easily get misplaced

Realistically.... You aren't going to see much of anything on embark day ....is it possible you can add a day at the end?

A Saturday to Saturday cruise works well for a debark overnight stay

A Sunday to Sunday cruise works well for an embark overnight stay

Of course I will put money on it that you can't add the extra day unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you checked how much parking is in NJ? We're sailing the gem this spring and haven't decided how to get to the port. I think kids would enjoy ferry but havent priced it out.

7 days right at the secure port parking is going to cost $280. Total

To me the jersey parking plus ferry plus possible cab.... And having to do it again at debark outweighs any savings

Heck when we go to Rome it's cheaper for my family of 6 to have a private airport pickup than it is to take the Leonardo express

IMHO many pax don't add in a the additional costs of trying to save on parking

While you save bridge tolls etc....you pay for ferry and cab..etc

While you might save in one area you pay in another and the convenience of walking just a few feet to your safe and secure parked car at the port is Incredible

Of course when it's just 1 or 2 pax traveling that's one thing but once it's a family of 3/4 or more I personally don't think the savings is worth the hassle.

Btw the max ever charged at the port is $400 so a 12 day cruise does not pay $480. Just an FYI as Ncl has 10 and 12 day cruises out of NYC

I myself being a native New Yorker...would not park in NJ...I would try to stay overnight at a NYC hotel ...see the city the day before you cruise....On the day you embark...drive over to the pier..park your car and enjoy a leisurely lunch on the Gem. I know it sounds expensive..but the convenience is worth it and I do believe between cabs and tolls, etc you will save money by not parking in NJ.

Have you checked how much parking is in NJ? We're sailing the gem this spring and haven't decided how to get to the port. I think kids would enjoy ferry but havent priced it out.

DH figured it all out. Parking for 9 days + ferry for the 2 of us is going to be less than $200 and then it's about a half mile walk/cab ride (I priced it out at $8 on Uber) to the port. If you want more info, let me know and I can send it to you.

If it were me I would get a cheap Times Square area hotel for the night before if possible thru groupon as they do exist and park the car in jersey for an extra day.

Alternately as I always only travel with a 21 inch wheel on...just do your roaming prior to check in as I would never check my luggage ....even if i did check luggage ....which i dont ....at 8 am as it could easily get misplaced

Realistically.... You aren't going to see much of anything on embark day ....is it possible you can add a day at the end?

A Saturday to Saturday cruise works well for a debark overnight stay

A Sunday to Sunday cruise works well for an embark overnight stay

Of course I will put money on it that you can't add the extra day unfortunately.

Our cruise is Saturday through Sunday. DH has to work Friday so we will be getting in, getting a cheap hotel in NJ and crashing. Then, after the cruise DH has to work on Monday so this is really the only time we have. We've been to the city before, so we are just looking to kill a little bit of time before getting on the ship. We're not looking to see it all.

Edited by bassclarinetgrl

I normally park in Weehawken and take the ferry- and just walk from the ferry terminal to the NCL pier - it's a lovely walk when the weather is nice. We did it once in the rain and that kinda sucked, but we had rain coats and umbrellas, so we lived. lol

You will be able to check your large luggage, but not your carry on. Just something to think about as you are planning and packing :D I wouldn't want to drag a rollerboard (even a small one) around while sightseeing.

DH figured it all out. Parking for 9 days + ferry for the 2 of us is going to be less than $200 and then it's about a half mile walk/cab ride (I priced it out at $8 on Uber) to the port. If you want more info, let me know and I can send it to you.

Our cruise is Saturday through Sunday. DH has to work Friday so we will be getting in, getting a cheap hotel in NJ and crashing. Then, after the cruise DH has to work on Monday so this is really the only time we have. We've been to the city before, so we are just looking to kill a little bit of time before getting on the ship. We're not looking to see it all.

Do you realize that you can start check in around 9:30? Board around 11:30? Give or take

Since you have been to NYC before why not save the headaches and just board ASAP and enjoy a mostly empty ship?

If you must you can take a stroll after you drop your stuff in the cabin if time permits.

Wouldn't be my choice though as I would just sit by the pool depending on weather or go to the mdr

On several cruises the nicest lido deck time has been the time between boarding and sail away.

It's not really specific questions, just I don't know what to expect. This is our first time sailing NCL or out of New York. We sailed Carnival out of Miami in the past.

You will really love lounging on the lido and gawking at the skyline on embark day. It's very special. Don't waste time exploring the area around the port