Build a Bear Workshop Costs

Pebbles4444

My husband and I are taking our children on a cruise on Carnival Sensation next week. I know my daughters will want to do the Build a Bear Workshop and I am wondering about the prices involved with that activity.

The only price lists I have been able to locate are from early 2014 or earlier than that. Have the prices changed in the last 14 months? If so, can someone tell me how much they cost now? The list I saw had the animals basically $20, with accessories starting at $2 and going up to $28 for multiple accessories. Is this still accurate?

And when they say "1 accessory $8, 2 accessories $13, 3 accessories $18 and 4 accessories $23" does that mean that the kids can choose like 4 outfits or what exactly? We have never done a build a bear workshop on land, so have no idea what to expect at all on a ship.

Also I have read that the bears come in a box and you hand stuff and sew. Is there someone who helps the kids with the sewing? My carpal tunnel makes it difficult for me to hold a needle for more than a couple stitches.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions! I have been on a cruise before, but this will be a first cruise for two of my kids and my husband and I want to make it a memorable vacation for them. :D

I can't speak for the ship, but Build a Bear is a great activity for kids. The "sewing" is pulling a couple strings and the "stuffing" is done by a machine. I would *strongly* recommend you visit your local mall and watch a kid build their bear. It is magical in their mind. ;)

As far as costs go - you can get just the bear and the kids would probably be thrilled. Or let them pick out a shirt or dress for them. I am guessing they probably have something Carnival related -

You don't need to do much other than stand back and watch - the staff is great with kids and the process is easy to follow. You will need to put guidelines in place and pay. That's it. :)

I can't speak for the ship, but Build a Bear is a great activity for kids. The "sewing" is pulling a couple strings and the "stuffing" is done by a machine. I would *strongly* recommend you visit your local mall and watch a kid build their bear.

The ship is a bit lower scale than the mall, you stuff it yourself. I disagree with the previous poster to visit the mall first as your kids may be disappointed.

They have several animals for about $20 and a few cheap Carnival T shirts that are a few bucks, full outfits cost more. We got the cheapest bear-I think it may be an owl or something, the bears were costlier, and a CCL shirt. This was enough to please my 5 year old niece, an older child would probably want more. We paid under $25.

Thank you for your replies.

Every thread I could find, both on Cruise Critic and Carnival's forum, had said that the bears were stuffed and sewn by hand, but the most recent thread was from Jan 2014 so I wondered about the prices and if they were current. Lerin, what you said jibes with what they said on those threads. The animals actually come with a Carnival tshirt, but I know my 9 year old will want to get an additional outfit. Are the outfits considered the accessories or are those something else?

We had bought our girls "Build a Bear" kits for Christmas one year, and the sewing was a bit more than simply pulling a couple strings and my younger girl had needed help, but my fingers cramped up too quickly for me to be of much help with it. That is why I was wondering if the "Camp Counselors" or someone else would be on hand to help her do the sewing portion.

The counselors will help. My daughter loves the build-a-bear workshop. Every time we get the schedule for the week, that's the first thing she looks for! Costs seemed slightly lower to me than the stores in the mall. My daughter got a pretty good size doggie and two outfits on her first cruise. Total cost was under $35 for everything. I don't remember what she got last year but it's also a good size. The kids loving bringing home that box too!

The ship is a bit lower scale than the mall, you stuff it yourself. I disagree with the previous poster to visit the mall first as your kids may be disappointed.

To clarify, I meant *they* - - the adult - - should visit the store. Not the kids.

Accessories are probably anything other than a bear/animal. So yes, clothes, shoes, tents, brushes etc - - not sure exactly what is offered on ship vs a B&M store.

The "sewing" is actually just pulling two strings tight and making a knot. I always buy a St. Jude Bear on St. Jude day.

Ok, so the ones on the ship are not as advanced as the ones in the store, meaning no machines doing the stuffing, but not as hard as the kits KMart carried a couple years ago at Christmas time where the sewing was a good bit more than pulling two strings tight and making a knot.

I am still looking for answers about the accessories. The price list that kept being posted on the Carnival Forum had outfits listed separately with prices and then the "accessories" on a different price list. I know that in the stores at the malls they offer things like sunglasses, necklaces, scarves, etc. Are these offered on the ships too?

We have done the bears on two separate cruises. The first time, my husband and I each did one for our two girls. The second time, the girls were with us and they each picked one. They both picked a bear and an outfit and the total was about $50. Each animal came with a carnival t shirt. The outfits are full outfits, like a baseball uniform (shirt, pants, glove, hat) or hula outfit (bikini, hula skirt, beach towel). They give you the unstuffed bear and their box, which is like their house filled with stuffing. You then find a spot in the camp carnival room and stuff away. If you need more stuffing they'll give you more. Once it's stuffed as you like it, you pull the strings and tie them up. The counselors will cut the strings for you once it's tied. Our kids loved it and we'll probably do it again this upcoming cruise!

I'm sure this is a silly question, but would this be too young for a recently turned 10 year old? Thanks.

If the child wants to do it, let them do it! My 9 year old wants to make one and so does my 12 year old, which is why I was wondering about the cost involved. And I think it is actually offered in the camp area for the 9-11 year olds, although from what I have read older kids and even adults are welcome to come and make a bear.

OP, my hubby said they had other accessories along with the outfits - barrettes, crowns, watches, etc. that you could buy for the bears. Hope that helps.

As for a 10-year old enjoying it, every kid is different. My son never wanted to do it. He was 19 & 11. A 10-year old girl might though. He's in that phase where everything is corny. :p

• 2 weeks later...

We got back from our cruise a few days ago and I am finally finding time to sit down and post here again. My daughter did do the Build a Bear and chose the St. Jude Bear.

The animals they offered ranged in price from $14.99 to $24.99 and the clothes were mostly $8, but ranged from $8 to $12 each. There were no other accessories offered on this cruise, not sure if there are others offered on other cruises or not.

The completion of the bear was even more low tech than I was expecting. After the child stuffs the chosen animal with the stuffing to their desired level, the "pouch" the stuffing goes into is ZIPPED shut. Then extra strong Velcro is used to hold the back of the animal shut.

The last 3 cruises my husband and I have been on we have gone to Build a Bear. {is not called that actually anymore}

Please understand we have no small children or grandchildren. We always get 2 creatures for our black labs. They do not destroy them. They play with them much like a child would.

We usually pay $18 to $22 for a bear or a dog. They come with a Carnival tee shirt. It is white with blue and red writing. You can purchase clothes for them as you wish.

They allow us to stuff our creatures extra tight. Because they are for our dogs it makes it more enjoyable for them. The workers are very helpful and nice. It is a very enjoyable time for us.

Edited by deborahjo