How Hard is it to DIY to Capri from Port of Naples?

BaseballMomof4

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody for the great info on here!! I appreciate it! I'm still trying to decide if going to the blue grotto is worth it or not. :confused: I go back and forth on it but I want to see as much possible ourselves(as opposed to a ship excursion) while there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everybody for the great info on here!! I appreciate it! I'm still trying to decide if going to the blue grotto is worth it or not. :confused: I go back and forth on it but I want to see as much possible ourselves(as opposed to a ship excursion) while there.

We are going to decide when we get to Capri whether or not to go to the Blue Grotto. A lot will depend on the weather.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I guess my only concern was the number of people trying to do the exact same thing and getting stuck waiting because the hydrofoils are full.

I guess it is a trade off, although we will only be coming from Messina so it may be a safe bet that we will arrive on time. Guess I will just think it over some more.

Thanks so much!

How did it go to pre-purchase your ferry tickets? We will be on the Vista in a couple of weeks and are thinking about buying the return tickets online.

Thank you!

How did it go to pre-purchase your ferry tickets? We will be on the Vista in a couple of weeks and are thinking about buying the return tickets online.

Thank you!

It could not have been easier! Just exit the ship, go through the terminal building and you will be able to see the ferry boat area (it is off to the left, or at least it was from where the Vista was situated that day.)

Just know that while you purchased and printed your tickets online, you still have to go to the ticket counter and hand in your receipt for the actual ticket.

A couple of thoughts - these ferries will be crowded and people will fight for seats with better views. Do yourself a favor and sit up front. You may not be able to see a lot of what is in front of you, but trust me - once the spray starts you will be glad for the protection from it and the ones in the back will start scampering up to the front for cover ;)

Capri is breathtaking but don't expect to do it all. We managed a 3 hour boat tour around the island and saw the green, white, coral and blue grottos and then we went up to Capri Town. Never made it up to Anacapri as time ran out. Gives me a reason to go back! ;)

Just know that while you purchased and printed your tickets online, you still have to go to the ticket counter and hand in your receipt for the actual ticket.

Thanks for providing this detail. If this is the case, however, I'm left wondering what is the benefit of purchasing in advance? You still have to wait on line, so you can't rush over at the last minute or you'll miss the ferry (and lose the money you spent on the pre-purchased tickets).

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for providing this detail. If this is the case, however, I'm left wondering what is the benefit of purchasing in advance? You still have to wait on line, so you can't rush over at the last minute or you'll miss the ferry (and lose the money you spent on the pre-purchased tickets).

It is a special line for internet purchases so not really a line. There was 1 woman ahead of me and I just handed him my voucher and he handed me my tickets. It was also quite useful having the prepaid ticket coming back as the crowds were crazy.

With that said, you could certainly purchase the tickets there, I just found this approach a little easier.

It is a special line for internet purchases so not really a line. There was 1 woman ahead of me and I just handed him my voucher and he handed me my tickets. It was also quite useful having the prepaid ticket coming back as the crowds were crazy.

Okay, now I get it and can see the benefit. Were you able to get both the outbound and the return tickets in the morning, or did you have to wait on a line again on the island to exchange the voucher for the return ticket? Also, which line did you use?

Edited by euro cruiser

Okay, now I get it and can see the benefit. Were you able to get both the outbound and the return tickets in the morning, or did you have to wait on a line again on the island to exchange the voucher for the return ticket? Also, which line did you use?

Both tickets at the same time. No fuss, no muss. We got off the ship, my kids went and stood in "line" for the ferry, I went and grabbed the tickets and off we went.

Coming back we just sat at the cafe across the street and had a beer until it was time to catch the ferry back and didn't have to deal with any ticket offices.

It sounds like the only downside remaining for advance purchase tickets is weather. If it's really awful the boats don't run so I assume they'd refund the tickets, but if it's just rainy and the boats are running anyway, you risk losing the money if you don't feel like going.

Given that all day rain in this part of Italy in the summer is exceedingly rare, on balance it sounds like the advantages of buying ahead are worth the very small risk.

Thanks for coming back and giving us first hand experience.

• 4 weeks later...

HANK: Just reading your info for our cruise this fall. We will be in Naples Oct 31 and I went to the ferry link as suggested. No ferries to Capri on Oct 31. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info anyway - just in case ;-/

Edited by daryleann

HANK: Just reading your info for our cruise this fall. We will be in Naples Oct 31 and I went to the ferry link as suggested. No ferries to Capri on Oct 31. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info anyway - just in case ;-/

It is probably just too early. I would try about 90 days out.

It sounds like the only downside remaining for advance purchase tickets is weather. If it's really awful the boats don't run so I assume they'd refund the tickets, but if it's just rainy and the boats are running anyway, you risk losing the money if you don't feel like going.

Given that all day rain in this part of Italy in the summer is exceedingly rare, on balance it sounds like the advantages of buying ahead are worth the very small risk.

Thanks for coming back and giving us first hand experience.

The company I booked with offered insurance and I bought it in case of inclement weather. We, fortunately, had a gorgeous day and did not have to use it!

Hi there,

Wow - what a wealth of information on these boards! I am finding it really useful to plan DIY excursions in a couple of weeks.

I am trying to gather my findings and wondered if anyone could add anything that I may have missed off??

Get off of ship and walk over to the kiosks to buy a ticket to Capri.

When off at Capri, purchase return ticket.

At the town end of the jetty, buy tickets for funicular railway up to the town.

It's here that I am getting confused - there has been mention about getting a bus to Anacapri - what will we find here? Is this where the Funicular railway is? Or is this where the funicular railway ends up?

Thanks in advance for your help,

If you want to go to Anacapri don't waste time in the (usually very long) line for the funicolare. The funicolare connects the port with the town of Capri.

There is a bus that goes from the port to Anacapri. Or you could take one of the open air taxis.

Bus schedule: http://www.cittadicapri.it/en/bus-and-funicular-schedules?path_id=12

A taxi can hold up to four people and has a fixed fare of €23, that would be the fastest and most comfortable way to get there. Info here: http://www.capri.com/downloads/taxi_anacapri_tariffe.pdf

Hi there,

Wow - what a wealth of information on these boards! I am finding it really useful to plan DIY excursions in a couple of weeks.

I am trying to gather my findings and wondered if anyone could add anything that I may have missed off??

Get off of ship and walk over to the kiosks to buy a ticket to Capri.

When off at Capri, purchase return ticket.

At the town end of the jetty, buy tickets for funicular railway up to the town.

It's here that I am getting confused - there has been mention about getting a bus to Anacapri - what will we find here? Is this where the Funicular railway is? Or is this where the funicular railway ends up?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Euro already explained the options to get to Anacapri (bus, funicular-bus, taxi). But why go to that residential town. Anacapri is not nearly as commercial as Fira, and does have a few decent cafes/restaurants. But its main claim to fame is that there is a chair lift (these are single chairs of the type where you legs dangle) that will take you from Anacapri up to the top of Mt Solaro, where you get fantastic views of the island, sea, etc. There is also a small snack bar at the top...where you can relax with a drink while you soak up the view. The Chair Lift is actually a bargain (price wise) and takes about 12 minutes each way. It is not a good think on a windy day (if too windy it will shut down) or for those with a fear of heights (at some point you might find yourself about 40 feet above the ground in your chair).

Personally, we love this chair lift and go there anytime we are on the island and the weather is good. Compare this to the Blue Grotto (yes, we have been there) where we think one visit is enough for a lifetime :). The Blue Grotto is one of the world's great tourist traps (and rip offs) that most feel obligated to do at least once. But the views at the top of Mt Solaro just keep calling our name :).

Keep in mind that getting to Anacapri and doing the chairlift does take time. So this is best done early in the day when you have no concerns about getting back to the ship. It is the same with the Blue Grotto...in that one needs to allow sufficient time (we recommend 2 hours) so as not to be concerned about getting back to the ship.

Hank

Thank you for your replies...

I think I now know why I was getting confused - When i saw people discussing the cable car/chair lift, I thought these were the same thing! (Stupid, I know!).

So now I think I have my plan...

1) Get off of ship and walk over to the kiosks to buy a Hydrofoil ticket to Capri.

2)When off at Capri, purchase return ticket.

3) At the town end of the jetty, buy tickets for funicular railway up to the town - this will take us from Marina Grande to Capri Town

4) Take the bus from Capri to Anacapri

5) Take chair lift from Anacapri to Mount Solaro

Have I understood the travel options correctly?

Thanks in advance :-)

Thank you for your replies...

I think I now know why I was getting confused - When i saw people discussing the cable car/chair lift, I thought these were the same thing! (Stupid, I know!).

So now I think I have my plan...

1) Get off of ship and walk over to the kiosks to buy a Hydrofoil ticket to Capri.

2)When off at Capri, purchase return ticket.

3) At the town end of the jetty, buy tickets for funicular railway up to the town - this will take us from Marina Grande to Capri Town

4) Take the bus from Capri to Anacapri

5) Take chair lift from Anacapri to Mount Solaro

Have I understood the travel options correctly?

Thanks in advance :-)

Yes, you got it :). But we would add one more tiny detail (hope this does not cause confusion). When you purchase your return hydrofoil ticket to Capri, you will want to make sure that the Naples destination is "Molo Beverello." There is also another Naples docking area called Mergellina which is NOT the place you want to dock...unless you are willing to pay for a taxi to get you to the other side of town back to the cruise port.

Hank