Live from the Grand

cruisesusie

I think its a marvel that we can get an internet connection at all on the cruise ships...

When you consider that only a few years ago, making a phone call cost a fortune and was a farily complex excersise on a ship (remember the radio room?) being able to surf and get emails is amazing.

With that in mind... I'm not too bothered that the connection is a little slow at times...

IMHO:D

Sorry for being a little late in answering your question about Sabatinis

Nothing special happens in Sabatinis for formal night. I just really enjoyed having very attentive professional wait staff. They actually seemed to enjoy serving us and in taking photos etc.

Sabatinis is a 2.5 hour dinner. They bring small portions of antipasta several times and then a little pizza and some spaghetti and maybe some gnochi and finish it up with a lobster (I was torn between the lobster and the sea bass so the waiter suggested that he bring me some of each)

The restaraunt is not an everynight place to eat. I thought that it was for a niche market that would enjoy some time to talk and enjoy a little time together.

I can't say enough good things about the sea bass - remember that when you make the mistake and order lobster. The food is much fresher and IMHO tastier than is available in the dining areas.

Also, you don't have to put up with the "chip on the shoulder" women that work at both of the anytime dining places. I started eating at 9:30 so that there wouldn't be any question about getting a table that I wanted. Know what, they still said that tables next to the windows were not available for couples. I got tired of getting the maitre D to give me the table - you shouldn't have to fight for your dinner on a cruise ship!

Excuse me, but when you are paying the kind of prices that we did I would expect a little higher maintenence. The fact that it was an older ship doesn't negate the opportunity for better food, service and amenities. Since this was only my second cruise, and I'd heard good things about Princess, maybe my expectations were a little unrealistic, but I'm entitled to express my opinion as much as you are. And unless you were on this particular cruise with all of it's issues you shouldn't be so quick to criticize the experience of those who were on it.

Hello? That's why the ball is in YOUR court as far as doing alittle pre-cruise research. All the reviews and opinions(both good & bad) are out here for you to peruse and study for months & months on end. There are even current pictures of the ship taken by recent cruisers available to view(hint, hint). I knew well before I embarked on the Grand that she wasn't the "top of the line" cruise ship she once was. That's why she sails out of Galveston, Texas in the winter, not out of Miami, Florida. Duh. I knew she wasn't the Caribbean Princess, the Coral Princess, the Queen Mary II or even the Titanic when I booked her. Also, Princess food reviews have always been mixed, but so have RCCL's and food tastes are very subjective anyway.

I have no problem with you expressing your opinion, that's what we all do out here. Hopefully your next cruise is all you want it to be.

Hello? That's why the ball is in YOUR court as far as doing alittle pre-cruise research. All the reviews and opinions(both good & bad) are out here for you to peruse and study for months & months on end. There are even current pictures of the ship taken by recent cruisers available to view(hint, hint).

If you re-read my original post, I said a lot of positive things about it. I was fine with missing Turkey, with the $400 credits, with an extra day at sea, etc. I did NOT participate in the to-do at the Pursers desk. I was happy that I didn't like the food because I LOST 2 pounds on the trip. :-)You should check out some of the other Princess threads posted by more experienced cruisers and see some of their opinions. Somebody who was one cruise short of the highest level said they wouldn't cruise with Princess again. Pictures don't tell you how the food tastes or the level of service or even the room conditions. And as YOU stated, good and bad reviews are out there for us to study-- I was just relating MY personal experience for the benefit of others. As it was, I was on the Grand Princess instead of the Brilliance of the Seas because I lost a coin toss with my husband, so all the research in the world wouldn't have helped my cause.

Hi Dorothy and Others,

We just left Venice and the repairs on the old Grand are still a work in progress. We are going to all planned ports but some have been shortened in duration due to the relatively slow engine speed.

Ciao,Jim;)

Any updates on the progress of repairs. We leave Fri for Rome for a few days before boarding the next cruise. Hoping they get things settled so we don't have to limp around and miss ports. Thanks in advance

Someone called Lindberg posted on the other thread about the Grand engine failure and said they didn't seem to be losing much time in the ports. Other than some ports being changed around, there didn't seem to be much impact.

I'm hoping for the best when we board on September 23rd. :)

As it was, I was on the Grand Princess instead of the Brilliance of the Seas because I lost a coin toss with my husband, so all the research in the world wouldn't have helped my cause.

Man oh man...your hubby really doinked you on the coin flip. Since you are from Chicago, a flip like that would be like flipping between getting to eat a Domino's pizza or a Gino's pizza. No comparsion really.

I take it as a good sign that we haven't heard from them. I think "no news is good news." They are so busy each day in their ports that they haven't had a chance to get back with us or they are having such a great time on their cruise they haven't thought about us anymore. On the other hand, if they were stuck on the ship waiting for the engine to be fixed or if they were very upset about being inconvnienced by the slowness of the ship, we would probably have heard from them again. :)

The night before last someone did post on another thead, that things were going smoothly and they hadn't lost much time in the ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! We jsut got back today so I am a little tired. As to the engine problems, as I understood it by the time we got off, the engine "appears" to be running well if not up to full steam. Of course I got divergent reports on whether it is fully repaired but I think it is close. They were waiting for a part which someone believed they heard had been received in Rome (or maybe even Naples). It was an electrical problem that somehow prevented enough electricity to get to one of the engines. I understand that has been done (don't take my word for it) but we got into Rome on time. They also had told us coming into Naples we would be late but got in time (not enough though to put some chaos into trips being rescheduled or shortened in Naples.

Those going today are probably on board already and I hope you have a great time. I hope the schedule remains as it was and that all problems are fixed. For those in future sailings--I would think all should be as was scheduled and that this problem is now one of the past. Think positively for those. It will be interesting to see if there are any postings from those on the ship.

On the whole--it was one of the best cruises we have been on--met some wonderful people (particularly from cc) and had great shore excurions that were privately arranged. There are always problems and we had some, but all in all--wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Time to rest. . . hope this responds to you.

Joan

Archived