Early Saver cancellation questions

nunuc2000

Howdy fellow cruisers!

I will also be contacting Carnival to see how how many different/conflicting answers they can give me ;), but in the meantime, I thought I would turn to the experienced world of Cruise Critic for some real life answers from those of you who have been through this scenario before.

Hubby and I have the Breeze booked for Oct 10 (8 days) and Oct 18 (6 days) - we booked early saver for both of them. We intend to keep the Oct 10th booking, but are planning to cancel the second one on the 18th.

Is this the way the money will work:

We paid $500 deposit on the Oct 18th booking - we will lose $50 each due to the Early Saver rules, but will have a $400 credit left to be used towards another Carnival cruise (I know we will not receive this back in cash). Can we use that credit towards paying off the Oct 10th booking?

Any wisdom y'all can provide is very much appreciated. :)

Celine

Howdy fellow cruisers!

I will also be contacting Carnival to see how how many different/conflicting answers they can give me ;), but in the meantime, I thought I would turn to the experienced world of Cruise Critic for some real life answers from those of you who have been through this scenario before.

Hubby and I have the Breeze booked for Oct 10 (8 days) and Oct 18 (6 days) - we booked early saver for both of them. We intend to keep the Oct 10th booking, but are planning to cancel the second one on the 18th.

We paid $500 deposit on the Oct 18th booking - we will lose $50 each due to the Early Saver rules, but will have a $400 credit left to be used towards another Carnival cruise (I know we will not receive this back in cash). Can we use that credit towards paying off the Oct 10th booking?

Celine

Based on the rules, the credit is supposed to be used on a new booking, so no, it should be allowed to be used to pay off an existing booking. But you may get someone who doesn't know or doesn't care and allow you to use it that way.

I have used it as a deposit for a new cruise.

I had our family cruise book for August 1, 2015 and had a conflict. I had to move everyone to an earlier cruise.

So in reality I cancel the 4 staterooms in the August cruise and booked a new cruise in June. I did have to make up the difference of the $50 per person on the deposit.

TO OP: At that time I only had made the deposit so I can not tell you if you can use any of the monies to pay toward the balance on the other cruise

Edited by springs741

Howdy fellow cruisers!

Celine

Here is my experience, which closely mirrors yours. I originally booked a B2B on the Carnival Breeze for the 8/9 (6 day) & 8/15 (8 day) sailings this year. 2 cabins on each sailing, all under the Early Saver fare. Due to a change in our summer vacation plans, we had to cancel the 8/9 cruise, but are still going on the 8/15 sailing. Our PVP was able to, after taking out the $50 fee per person, apply the balance of our deposits ($800.), to our 8/15 cruise, reducing the balance that will be owed at final payment time.

ITEMIZED CHARGES

All Charges are quoted in USD

CRUISE CHARGES

Cruise Rate $1,508.00

Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses $222.58

Total Cruise Charges $1,730.58

TOTAL CHARGES $1,730.58

PAYMENTS AND CREDITS

Credits/Coupons $400.00

Payments Received $600.00

Total Payments and Credits $1,000.00

Guest Balance Due $730.58

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

Final Payment Due Date 01/Jun/2015

Edited by Jamman54

Same as a few others, this is how it went for us:

We originally booked the Glory, two cabins under early saver. Then switched to the Sunshine. We lost $50 per person but the rest of the money that had been paid was applied to the new booking. We only had to come up with $25 additional for one of the cabins and that's because we went from a 7 day to an 8 day and the deposit was bigger. I booked through a TA.

I actually just got off the phone with a rep from Carnival. I cancelled our June 6th cruise and changed to June 20th. My only penalty was $200 ($50 per person) and everything else I paid was switched over but I still come out saving money because the June 20th cruise is so much lower in price.

I recommend calling Carnival. My phone call was only 6 minutes in length total. He was excellent!

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone! :)

I'm hoping that my experience will match yours, Jamman54 - that would be ideal! But if they won't allow the credit of $400 to be applied to the cruise we're still retaining, it's not the end of the world... we'll definitely be booking another one in the not too distant future that we can use that money towards. :D

Celine

Well I'm very pleased with my phone call to Carnival - I cancelled the Oct 18th leg of our B2B on the Breeze, on which we had placed a $500 deposit, and aside from the non-refundable portion of $50 each for the Early Saver Booking, they are applying the other $400 directly to the Oct 10th cruise. Sweet!!

Thanks for the comments everyone - I rather suspect that the reason I was so easily able to do this is because I stated "I understand from fellow cruisers that I can apply the remaining credit directly to our existing booking".

The rep I spoke with was very accommodating and helpful, and she had it all done within a 5 minute phone call... easy as could be!! :)

Celine

Edited by nunuc2000

Well I'm very pleased with my phone call to Carnival - I cancelled the Oct 18th leg of our B2B on the Breeze, on which we had placed a $500 deposit, and aside from the non-refundable portion of $50 each for the Early Saver Booking, they are applying the other $400 directly to the Oct 10th cruise. Sweet!!

Thanks for the comments everyone - I rather suspect that the reason I was so easily able to do this is because I stated "I understand from fellow cruisers that I can apply the remaining credit directly to our existing booking".

The rep I spoke with was very accommodating and helpful, and she had it all done within a 5 minute phone call... easy as could be!! :)

Celine

I assume you didn't book your Norwegian Panama Canal cruise till after you cancelled you 10/18 CCL cruise?

Celine

Glad it worked out for you!!

and in addition...I have been told it cannot be used as the deposit on the new cruise either. Is this true?

Depending on the new cruise booked, it may not cover completely the deposit so money would have to be added but yes, it's purpose is to pay all or part of the deposit on a new cruise.

The reason I state my answer the way I did is because you know someone will go and try to use say $200 of a future cruise deposit and try to make that the full deposit on a cruise that requires a $400 deposit. If the deposit on the new cruise is say $150, then it would cover the full deposit (and then some) but on a cruise with a $400 deposit the cruise will still have to add enough for the full deposit.

Celine

I'm happy it worked out for you and I'm glad I found this thread.

I was just searching for "Early Saver" rules since we haven't sailed Carnival for sometime and I did not realize that the $50 fee is per person. (Disclaimer on the website was too small... I overlooked the $50 pp :o)

We are planning to book a cruise on Vista for 2016 so I guess I have to finalize our plans first or before we book an early saver or we'll lose $150 (3 passengers).

I'm happy it worked out for you and I'm glad I found this thread.

I was just searching for "Early Saver" rules since we haven't sailed Carnival for sometime and I did not realize that the $50 fee is per person. (Disclaimer on the website was too small... I overlooked the $50 pp :o)

We are planning to book a cruise on Vista for 2016 so I guess I have to finalize our plans first or before we book an early saver or we'll lose $150 (3 passengers).

We usually book early saver, as it's worth it to us. We generally book fairly far in advance, and in every case, we have been able to take advantage of significant price drops right up until the week of the cruise.

However, our Oct 10th cruise has not decreased at all in price since we booked last October. Either way, we're definitely ahead financially, even after losing the $50 each on the one we just cancelled.

Enjoy the Vista... looks to be an amazing ship!!!

We usually book early saver, as it's worth it to us. We generally book fairly far in advance, and in every case, we have been able to take advantage of significant price drops right up until the week of the cruise.

Thanks, that's good to know. That's why I'm really interested about the early saver, we just have to finalize our dates to avoid paying the $50 per person fee. Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :)

Thanks, that's good to know. That's why I'm really interested about the early saver, we just have to finalize our dates to avoid paying the $50 per person fee. Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :)

You could always book under a non early saver rate for now - like Past Guest or another refundable rate - to reserve the cabin you want. Then, later you could switch to Early Saver (If still available) once your plans are firm.

Glad it worked out for you. You will get different answers every time you call Carnival!

No doubt this can be an issue. However I have to think more times than not it's the CC poster who either can't comprehend what is being said by the Carnival rep or can't write clearly so we can understand what they're trying to communicate.

There are a few CC posters who understand the system very well. Once you figure out who they are and comprehend what they're writing, the Carnival reps seem much more knowledgeable.

You could always book under a non early saver rate for now - like Past Guest or another refundable rate - to reserve the cabin you want. Then, later you could switch to Early Saver (If still available) once your plans are firm.

That's good to know, I did not think of that. Thanks!

Hoping to book by next month. Still deciding between the 8 day, 10, or 12 day Med. We haven't been there before so I'm trying to read and learn to help with our decision.