rethinking our Breakaway cruise

megann831

We're still booked. I'm letting my husband make the choice. Some of the responses did point out some things I think my kids will enjoy and made me realize the pool set up isn't too bad. I'm not sure what the responses about my kids not being a good age mean though. Are they too young or old and why? They're pretty fearless so they'll enjoy most of the activities, I'm not sure if there are height restrictions though that would hold them back. They're probably about 40 and 46 inches

We were excited to book a Breakaway cruise because we got a great deal, kids sail free and free beverage, but I'm considering canceling. Since booking I've found out the kids are only allowed in 1 pool, which does not have any lounge chairs near it. I've also found out the rooms are pretty small. The last cruise we did with kids, the 1st one we did with kids, was an ocean suit on Carnival Pride. I thought the min-suite would be similar, doesn't seem like there is much space at all. We like doing a cruise that goes to Port Canaveral because we don't want to commit to a Disney trip yet. We had 11 hours when we went with Carnvial, which felt nice, this trip is 9 and I'm wondering if it's worth it. Our in-laws (6 of them) have decided to tag along. I'm not thrilled about that, and I'm also wondering how much trouble we'll have getting a table for 10 people at dinner. They tend to stick together so I'm not sure how often we'll be able to do dinner alone. Last cruise the kids had just turned 2 and 4, this year they'd be 3 1/2 and 5 1/2, I thought they'd do better at the kids club, but now I find out it's not open during dinner, which is when I'd probably want to use it the most. I also found out they don't give pagers out for the kids club. My daughter has a food allergy, so it's possible we may be able to get around this, but I'm not comfortable leaving my kids and them having no way to get in touch with me. I was also looking forward to a cheap, easy beach day at their private island, I'm not sure how common this is but I found out they don't always make it there.

Should we forget this cruise and just go to Disney for the week? We're from NJ and I don't fly, so I really liked that this left out of NY.

The name "minisuite" on the Breakaway is misleading. It's really a deluxe balcony, the only real difference between a minisuite and a balcony is a slightly larger bathroom.

We're still booked. I'm letting my husband make the choice. Some of the responses did point out some things I think my kids will enjoy and made me realize the pool set up isn't too bad. I'm not sure what the responses about my kids not being a good age mean though. Are they too young or old and why? They're pretty fearless so they'll enjoy most of the activities, I'm not sure if there are height restrictions though that would hold them back. They're probably about 40 and 46 inches

OMG. Some of these comments are just...I can't even put into words. Go on your cruise. Do you want to have a fun time? Then have a fun time. Your kids will have fun. They will be on a ship. What's not to like about that?!? There is so much to offer on this ship. We took our 3 kids on the Jewel, which had less to do and we had fun. So many people are negative Nellys. My sister prefers NCL cruise over Disney cruise because it isn't non-stop in your face Disney ALL the freaking time!!! And a WDW vacation? I've done it once when my kids were 9, 7 and 3. It was nice to say we did it, but it was the least relaxing trip ever. I think this might be the perfect balance between keeping kids occupied and not bored and relaxing enough for you to actually enjoy a vacation. No planning meals, no cooking, cleaning. If the kids don't like what is being served, just take them to the buffet. We were always able to find SOMETHING for even our pickiest eater to eat.

Please post a review of your cruise. I am curious to know what you truly thought.

Kara.

I love the BA. I think for the ages of your kids, the splash pool will be perfect for them. As has been mentioned, you will want to be around them anyway and the Nick theme is really fun. There are other things for them to do.

The kid's club was very well run. My son was older, but whenever I was there they all seemed to be having a blast.

As for rooms sizes, this is something about the BA that is well known. If you are concerned about the room, I would try and get the family inside. It is an amazing room with tons of space. My cousins had that room, and we preferred it over our balcony room.

I think the biggest concern should be the in-laws. That is not going to be relaxing trying to meet the needs of 8 different people, of various ages and likes. It will be an issue trying to eat together in the dining areas, so you will have to plan ahead, and expect to wait. Not everyone will be happy when you travel in groups.

You might be able to taalk to the maitre' D, about reservations for a larger group. He should try to accomodate. With young kids, an early sitting might work.