Cheers program on Freedom out of galveston..

Cruisefriends

Hello,

I read that because of Texas laws or taxes that you can't get the the 15 drinks a day/cheers program til the second day of the cruise. So does that mean that it will be $300.00 per person for the 7 day cruise as you have to buy per drink as we leave Galveston? Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks

Hello,

I read that because of Texas laws or taxes that you can't get the the 15 drinks a day/cheers program til the second day of the cruise. So does that mean that it will be $300.00 per person for the 7 day cruise as you have to buy per drink as we leave Galveston? Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks

Correct

Don't forget to add another $7.50/ pp per day for gratuity>>> also, not sure if this is correct ....but I thought I read somewhere if your cruise departs on Saturday you can purchase Cheers program in Galveston on day you cruise?

Don't forget to add another $7.50/ pp per day for gratuity>>> also, not sure if this is correct ....but I thought I read somewhere if your cruise departs on Saturday you can purchase Cheers program in Galveston on day you cruise?

Not correct. It is a 15% gratuity and you can only buy the program on day 2 or 3 because of Texas law.

If this really is a Texas law, then I don't see how NCL can offer their Ultimate Beverage Package on day 1 out of Houston. Was on the Jewel two weeks ago, and started in on the free drinks while still in port.

i don't understand either. We were on navigator of the seas last year out of galveston and as soon as we got on we were using our unlimited drink package.

• 1 month later...

The Alcoholic Beverage Code is indeed real.

Retail licensees and permittees may not:

(1) serve, sell, or offer to serve or sell, two or more open containers of alcoholic beverages at a price

less than the number of containers actually sold or served;

(2) increase the volume of alcohol contained in a drink without increasing proportionally the price

thereof;

(3) serve or offer to serve more than one free alcoholic beverage to any identifiable segment of the

population during the course of one business day. Licensees and permittees may, however, without prior

advertising, give one free alcoholic beverage to individual consumers in celebration of birthdays,

anniversaries or similar events;

(4) sell, serve, or offer to sell or serve an undetermined quantity of alcoholic beverages for a fixed

price or “all you can drink” basis;

(5) sell, serve, or offer to sell or serve, alcoholic beverages at a reduced price to those consumers

paying a fixed “buy in” price;

(6) sell, serve, or offer to sell or serve, alcoholic beverages at a price contingent on the amount of

alcoholic beverages consumed by an individual;

(7) reduce drink prices after 11:00 p.m.;

(8) sell, serve or offer to sell or serve more than two drinks to a single consumer at one time;

(9) impose an entry fee, cover or door charge for the purpose of recovering financial losses incurred

by the licensee or permittee because of reduced or low drink prices;

(10) conduct, sponsor or participate in, or allow any person on the licensed premises to conduct,

sponsor or participate in, any game or contest to be determined by the quantity of alcoholic beverages

consumed by an individual or group, or where alcoholic beverages or reduced price alcoholic beverages are

awarded as prizes;

(11) engage in any practice, whether listed in this rule or not, that is reasonably calculated to induce

consumers to drink alcoholic beverages to excess, or that would impair the ability of the licensee or

permittee to monitor or control the consumption of alcoholic beverages by consumers.

If this really is a Texas law, then I don't see how NCL can offer their Ultimate Beverage Package on day 1 out of Houston. Was on the Jewel two weeks ago, and started in on the free drinks while still in port.

The Texas law applies to the Galveston cruise port, not Houston Bayport.

And it doesn't have anything to do with the day of the week you depart on.

Do they charge for the last day also? So I will pay for 4 days ?

Not sure I understand your question, but you do NOT pay for the day you are leaving. So, if your cruise is a 5 day, you will be getting OFF on day 6 actually and leaving from TX you will pay for 4 days of CHEERS.

• 2 weeks later...
The Texas law applies to the Galveston cruise port, not Houston Bayport.

Last I saw, Bayport was located with in the borders of the State of Texas, so why would the law not apply to Bayport?

I am thinking it is because you can only consume alcohol SOLD in Texas while you are in Texas, which extends part of the way into the Gulf. If a cruise line chooses to sell alcohol during this time, it can only be alcohol that the cruise line bought in Texas. So if the unlimited package on NCL or other cruise ships departing from Bayport is sold on the first day, they are still bound by this restriction, meaning it can only be alcohol that the cruise line purchased in Texas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Cheers is not "all you can drink". The Carnival site states there is a 15 drink max per 24 hour period.

If you notice the part right below the bold statement, you'll see the law also forbids discounting due to bulk purchase.

Now, why CCL and not NCL or RCCL- my inclination is that they've been caught and fined in the past and the other lines simply haven't been yet (enforcement is always spotty, there are just not enough inspectors); or that they determined the fines to not be worth the benefit to their customers and the other lines have decided just to pay them.

Did you purchase the UBP on the day you boarded the ship while it was docked in Texas waters? Or was the purchase made and paid for pre-cruise on your Norwegian reservation?

Edited by AdGuyMG