Post your best cruise picture

Henrik_Keller

My DH tried teaching me, but it just didn't click for me. He is very thorough when explaining things, and I don't have much of an attention span. ;) I need the condensed version... :D

Dave is very talented and sure seems to know his stuff. Have you looked at any of his other pictures?

Jackie

Yes I have looked at a lot of his photos. He has talent that I only wish I had.

I bought a book for the D40 and learned a lot from that, but what I need is hands on training. :confused:

Bryan

Yes I have looked at a lot of his photos. He has talent that I only wish I had.

I bought a book for the D40 and learned a lot from that, but what I need is hands on training. :confused:

Bryan

Yes, he does have a great eye and plenty of talent as a photographer. We better watch out or he's going to have to wear that big hat again. ;)

I always have to play with a new camera first and then read the book. Kind of backwards, but I have to do things as I read, not after. The old memory isn't what it used to be.

Speaking of tequila!!! We just got back from a Mexican lunch and a few Margheritas. Yum.... :D

Jackie

Yes, he does have a great eye and plenty of talent as a photographer. Jackie

I had lots of plans for pictures on the cruise, like being on deck to to photograph sunrise and sunset, but that never quite worked out :mad:

I did get a few interesting photos but I need to develop that photographic eye a little better. We're going to Vegas next week and since I don't do much gambling, hopefully I'll have plenty of opportunity there.

Bryan

I had lots of plans for pictures on the cruise, like being on deck to to photograph sunrise and sunset, but that never quite worked out :mad:

I did get a few interesting photos but I need to develop that photographic eye a little better. We're going to Vegas next week and since I don't do much gambling, hopefully I'll have plenty of opportunity there.

Bryan

You'll have a lot of great subjects in Vegas. I take a million sunrises and sunsets. Sometimes I get lucky, but most of them I should just delete. It's a lot of fun, and digital allows you to make inexpensive mistakes, unlike the days with film.

I love Vegas, and have family there. Have you been there before?

Hope you have a great time.

Jackie

You'll have a lot of great subjects in Vegas. I take a million sunrises and sunsets. Sometimes I get lucky, but most of them I should just delete. It's a lot of fun, and digital allows you to make inexpensive mistakes, unlike the days with film.

I love Vegas, and have family there. Have you been there before?

Hope you have a great time.

Jackie

No, neither my wife or I have ever been to Vegas so this will be an experience. I want to go to the Hoover dam, (I think that's pretty much obligitory for a first visit, isn't it? :D ) If you have any suggestions for good photo ops, I'd appreciate them. I'm sure my camera will be with me most of the time. I love digital because I take a LOT of pics since it doesn't cost anything. I have plenty of memory cards. The only down side is that it can take a lot of time to go through them and delete the goofs, but that's not a big downside. :)

Bryan

Multi-Cruiser & Angeljt: Sorry I haven't posted today...I've been shopping online for a new hat!:o Geez! You guys are going to give me a complex!

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments! Inspires me to take the new camera out and burn through some pixels!

On a slightly related subject; if you folks can think of subjects to cover related to photography, I'm working on a series of articles to add to my PPTPhoto.com site to help explain some of the more arcane bits about photography is a friendlier way. Suggestions would be appreciated.

On a less related subject for Bryan: If you're going to Vegas for a week, take a drive about an hour north to the Valley of Fire. Very cool scenery! A friend and I went out there last summer just to shoot for the day. Quite a site! Here's some photos from there: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/vof2006

Red Rock is closer. We're planning on visiting there this winter.

Happy Shooting!

Dave

On a slightly related subject; if you folks can think of subjects to cover related to photography, I'm working on a series of articles to add to my PPTPhoto.com site to help explain some of the more arcane bits about photography is a friendlier way. Suggestions would be appreciated.

On a less related subject for Bryan: If you're going to Vegas for a week, take a drive about an hour north to the Valley of Fire. Very cool scenery! A friend and I went out there last summer just to shoot for the day. Quite a site! Here's some photos from there: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/vof2006

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Morning Dave. One article suggestion might be arperture, shutter speed and the relationship between the two.

Thank you for the tip on Vegas, unfortunately, we're only going to be there four days so I don't think we'll have time to drive to Valley of Fire. I hope we'll have time to go to the Hoover Dam for some pictures (and so I can say I've been there).

Thanks,

Bryan

No, neither my wife or I have ever been to Vegas so this will be an experience. I want to go to the Hoover dam, (I think that's pretty much obligitory for a first visit, isn't it? :D ) If you have any suggestions for good photo ops, I'd appreciate them. I'm sure my camera will be with me most of the time. I love digital because I take a LOT of pics since it doesn't cost anything. I have plenty of memory cards. The only down side is that it can take a lot of time to go through them and delete the goofs, but that's not a big downside. :)

Bryan

I think you'll have a great time snapping pics in Vegas. Yes the Hoover Dam is one of the things you should visit, just to say you did. We stopped at Lake Meade on the way, and there were millions of fish swimming to the surface for food. It was pretty cool. Bring some bread, or just watch as others feed them. They sell snacks there too.

There are also some great places to stop on the way for pics. Beautiful scenery...

We also went out to Red Rock Canyon, but my pics are all on film. I'll have to see if I can find them.

You'll see so many ideas for photo ops in Vegas itself with all of the lights and different displays. Where are you staying? The fountains at Bellagio are beautiful, and there are some free shows inside Caesar's Palace. Gondola rides at the Venetian, we saw a free concert with Gary Lewis and the Playboys on Fremont Street a few years back, the lions at the MGM. Plenty to do there even if you're not a gambler, which I am. ;)

My friend took me their for my 50th birthday, and we went on the NY/NY roller coaster, first car! NEVER again.... :eek:

Jackie

Fish at Lake Meade

fishcu03vo7.jpg

This was from the plane....

mountainsriveriw2.jpg

Multi-Cruiser & Angeljt: Sorry I haven't posted today...I've been shopping online for a new hat!:o Geez! You guys are going to give me a complex!

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments! Inspires me to take the new camera out and burn through some pixels!

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Hope you found that hat, Dave. ;)

I'll have to check out your articles on you PPTPhoto.com site when I get back from my Mom's tomorrow night, especially Camera Choices!!! I don't know if I can offer much in the way of suggestions, but Bryan's was a good one. How about 'Shooting for Dummies, like me'... :D

Your pics from the Valley of Fire came out great. I don't think we made it there, but my cousin took us to a bunch of places. I do remember Red Rock Canyon.

Jackie

Morning Dave. One article suggestion might be arperture, shutter speed and the relationship between the two.

Thank you for the tip on Vegas, unfortunately, we're only going to be there four days so I don't think we'll have time to drive to Valley of Fire. I hope we'll have time to go to the Hoover Dam for some pictures (and so I can say I've been there).

Thanks,

Bryan

Red Rock is much closer to Vrgas than VOF. It's actually closer than Hoover Dam (which I've never been to!) and might make a good sunrise to 10 AM or 3 PM to sunset destination.

I like your suggestion. I think I'll do a piece on adding lenses and accessories to to a DSLR system. The lens portion would, necessarily, include the f-stop/shutter relationship.

Thanks!

Dave

Great picture. Not because of El Moro, but because of the 25' RB-S in the forground...my son pilots one of those!

LOL - I didn't know that when I took the photo. Here's another view that I took a couple seconds later

2942351-El_Morro-San_Juan.jpg

I got up early to take pictures as we came in, because we were going to leave at night, and I didn't think I'd be able to take any photos then. I did get this one from the ship

2423418-From_ship_at_night-San_Juan.jpg

Here is a couple of my pictures from the Noordam (Holland America) cruise that my husband and I took in April 2007

First Picture is in Tortola, The Virgin Gorda (my husband and I are in the picture)

Second Picture is in St. Maarten

Third Picture in my husband by this amazing tree in San Juan Puerto Rico -

I have enjoyed everyone 's pictures - So thanks for sharing.

Karen

IM000255.jpg.9d1cb4c25fcc1a0d263312c74ef0c94f.jpg

IM000307.jpg.13094dbd4dba3eeb911a1c700f7c37c9.jpg

IM000424.jpg.00859d3316347dd97d00ae3172fc274b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have gotten a lot of comments from friends and Co-workers about this picture. It was one of those at the place at the right time photos. This was taken off of the coast of St Martin. I did not even notice the bird in the picture until I enlarged it.

337541454_Sunburst2.jpg.c195d8dea1063f853d02438e3ca19d67.jpg

I have gotten a lot of comments from friends and Co-workers about this picture. It was one of those at the place at the right time photos. This was taken off of the coast of St Martin. I did not even notice the bird in the picture until I enlarged it.

How big was the bird before you enlarged it?